What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for Moylan to 5/8

franklin2323

Immortal
Keyboard heroes? Pretty sure I've given reasoned arguments with data to back up what I'm saying. As for what was said there it sounds like a cover, playing fullback and 5/8 at the same time would be just as stressful or more so on a bad ankle as just 5/8.

Plenty of others have used this as reasoning to why the coach is hopeless. Depends how restricted he was in pre season really he is captain he would get to play where he wants.

He played the Bulldogs trial at 6 so would of known himself how he went. As would the coaching staff. Injuries to others imo stopped him playing 6. TMM was a test player so rightly got the jersey to start this year. I think Bryce was just desperation to try to get us playing like last year

OldPanther

Coach
Plenty of others have used this as reasoning to why the coach is hopeless. Depends how restricted he was in pre season really he is captain he would get to play where he wants.

He played the Bulldogs trial at 6 so would of known himself how he went. As would the coaching staff. Injuries to others imo stopped him playing 6. TMM was a test player so rightly got the jersey to start this year. I think Bryce was just desperation to try to get us playing like last year

This I agree with. I never minded trying TMM. I am just of the opinion that after that plan didn't work it should have been Moylan to 6. I definitely agree that Griffin was falling back on Cartwright at 6 as a crutch rather than risk making the switch with Moylan and Edwards.

mxlegend99

Referee

Clutching at straws.

Moylan played a quarter of a trial at 6 last preseason in his return from injury after 9 months out. He played the same amount of time at fullback and was rusty in both positions. Not everyone is as freakish as Mansour and able to return like he never left.

The only reason Moylan is at 6 now is because Griffin ran out of options. TMM did whatever he did. Cartwright got injured. Wallace was injured. Might have seen him at 6 if he were fit.

No way Moylan ever plays 6 if we were full strength. The real test is if Griffin keeps him there when we are.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
The thing with trying TMM out is, and I questioned this last year a thousand times, for TMMs own development he was going to be taking touches off Moylan. Moylan is one of the classiest ball players in the comp, as we have seen the team and Moylan is at their most dangerous when Moylan is heavily involved and pulling the strings with a couple touches a set, taking touches off Moylan and giving them to a rookie just wasn't smart no matter how talented that rookie might be. The idea of all these different playmakers and points off attack is great in theory but in reality we were always better off just letting Moylan run the show, he is our best playmaker he had proven that beyond a doubt last year, thats not taking anything away from TMM because I think he is a great prospect with star potential, but Moylan is a star now and he cant play his natural game as well as let two young halves play theirs, it just didn't fit.

OldPanther

Coach
The thing with trying TMM out is, and I questioned this last year a thousand times, for TMMs own development he was going to be taking touches off Moylan. Moylan is one of the classiest ball players in the comp, as we have seen the team and Moylan is at their most dangerous when Moylan is heavily involved and pulling the strings with a couple touches a set, taking touches off Moylan and giving them to a rookie just wasn't smart no matter how talented that rookie might be. The idea of all these different playmakers and points off attack is great in theory but in reality we were always better off just letting Moylan run the show, he is our best playmaker he had proven that beyond a doubt last year, thats not taking anything away from TMM because I think he is a great prospect with star potential, but Moylan is a star now and he cant play his natural game as well as let two young halves play theirs, it just didn't fit.

I've been saying this all year. Last year we looked good because Moylan was calling the shots in attack with Cartwright just getting involved periodically. This year Moylan has had periods of quietness and we had a terrible start. Moylan starts getting involved more and we go 4 in a row. Top that up with we now get a quality fullback.

Doomednow

Bench
I just want to say that this is a strange hill Franklin has chosen to die on.

f**king hell Griffin only played Moylan at half because he was forced to. His gameplans are garbage. He started a season with prem favourites with a 3 - 8 record. The turn around only happened in a second half after we completely changed our style (away from Hook's orders).

What else is there to say? If we have any success this year itll be in spite of the coach.

franklin2323

Immortal
Clutching at straws.

Moylan played a quarter of a trial at 6 last preseason in his return from injury after 9 months out. He played the same amount of time at fullback and was rusty in both positions. Not everyone is as freakish as Mansour and able to return like he never left.

The only reason Moylan is at 6 now is because Griffin ran out of options. TMM did whatever he did. Cartwright got injured. Wallace was injured. Might have seen him at 6 if he were fit.

No way Moylan ever plays 6 if we were full strength. The real test is if Griffin keeps him there when we are.

So why did we not go and go after another half then? TMM was a test player so rightfully got 1st crack but outside him. We have no other half close to FG standard

franklin2323

Immortal

f**king hell Griffin only played Moylan at half because he was forced to. His gameplans are garbage. He started a season with prem favourites with a 3 - 8 record. The turn around only happened in a second half after we completely changed our style (away from Hook's orders).

What else is there to say? If we have any success this year itll be in spite of the coach.

Wasn't you the one who said earlier you would like to know why the coach didn't pick Moylan at 6? You got a reason and still it isn't good enough

franklin2323

Immortal

To quote you elsewhere:

I wish we could just get an explanation of why we haven't tried Moylan in the 6. Straight from the coach's mouth with honesty. Just help us to understand.

Because without that it sure looks like he's just pig-headed and incompetent.

Isn't that what he just did yet still not good enough

franklin2323

Immortal
Clutching at straws.

So why did we not buy a half? TMM was a test player fair enough getting 1st crack but outside of him. Who is our backup half? It is safe to say Moylan was always going to get a crack at some stage

franklin2323

Immortal

Once TMM became a test player he was always going to get 1st crack. Last year injures made it impossible for Moylan to play 6. All a timing thing really

mxlegend99

Referee
So why did we not go and go after another half then? TMM was a test player so rightfully got 1st crack but outside him. We have no other half close to FG standard
Because first grade quality halves don't come cheap and don't hit the market midseason very often.

Hunt earning $1m a year. Moses on $800k.

You said it yourself. We had no first grade quality alternatives. Although it didn't stop Hook using Cartwright. He certainly wasn't a first grade quality half. His time there has made him a joke.

Hook was forced into a decision. A bit like he was last year with Blake and Peachey in the centres. He didn't stick with that despite it being out best centre pairing in years.

mxlegend99

Referee
Once TMM became a test player he was always going to get 1st crack. Last year injures made it impossible for Moylan to play 6. All a timing thing really
That's a load of shit. Edwards could have played 1 last year. Or DWZ with Edwards on the wing.

Both better options than using a second rower st 6. Hook never had any intention of Moylan at 6. He was simply forced into it.

If we did that last year Edwards is further along in development. Moylan has more experience at 6 and Cartwright doesn't have his development f**ked up.

We held 3 players back.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
To quote you elsewhere:

I wish we could just get an explanation of why we haven't tried Moylan in the 6. Straight from the coach's mouth with honesty. Just help us to understand.

Because without that it sure looks like he's just pig-headed and incompetent.

Isn't that what he just did yet still not good enough

Because the explanation is a dumb one? As explained to you earlier perhaps?

franklin2323

Immortal
Because first grade quality halves don't come cheap and don't hit the market midseason very often.

Hunt earning $1m a year. Moses on $800k.

You said it yourself. We had no first grade quality alternatives. Although it didn't stop Hook using Cartwright. He certainly wasn't a first grade quality half. His time there has made him a joke.

Hook was forced into a decision. A bit like he was last year with Blake and Peachey in the centres. He didn't stick with that despite it being out best centre pairing in years.

We lost Soward, Seg, Taylor etc. We had money if we felt we needed to get a half. We didn't and we happy with the squad

franklin2323

Immortal
That's a load of shit. Edwards could have played 1 last year. Or DWZ with Edwards on the wing.

Both better options than using a second rower st 6. Hook never had any intention of Moylan at 6. He was simply forced into it.

If we did that last year Edwards is further along in development. Moylan has more experience at 6 and Cartwright doesn't have his development f**ked up.

We held 3 players back.

Smith, Whare, Hiku being fit would of given us options to do that. Edwards played a game we struggled. So don't pretend like we didn't look at him.

Latest posts