What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for Moylan to 5/8

OldPanther

Coach
Smith, Whare, Hiku being fit would of given us options to do that. Edwards played a game we struggled. So don't pretend like we didn't look at him.

We struggled because he played a game against the Sharks in which we were missing a bunch of players.

Just because you think it is dumb. Doesn't make it so. The coaches speak to the players and as a Captain he would of got to play where he wanted

I honestly doubt Moylan chooses to play fullback by choice after mid season last year. The future of his rep career will depend on him at 6 and being captain under Griffin I don't think will give him that much freedom.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Just because you think it is dumb. Doesn't make it so. The coaches speak to the players and as a Captain he would of got to play where he wanted

Your story here is just as conjectural as mine (that Griffin is a stubborn idiot and that excuse makes no sense given that an ankle injury is not "better" for a fullback, especially one that plays up in the line so much in attack anyway). So all we have to fall back on is how this season panned out on the field... and it's a shitty refection on Griffin.

franklin2323

Immortal
Your story here is just as conjectural as mine (that Griffin is a stubborn idiot and that excuse makes no sense given that an ankle injury is not "better" for a fullback, especially one that plays up in the line so much in attack anyway). So all we have to fall back on is how this season panned out on the field... and it's a shitty refection on Griffin.

You do realise halves and fullback has a different skill set? If he was restricted for most of the pre season and can't train how can he learn a new position? It is more then just playing

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
We struggled because he played a game against the Sharks in which we were missing a bunch of players.

I honestly doubt Moylan chooses to play fullback by choice after mid season last year. The future of his rep career will depend on him at 6 and being captain under Griffin I don't think will give him that much freedom.

The Sharks had SOO players out too. My point is the ave FG career is 52 games so they would of wanted to get a player right before bringing them in

Limited pre season. Being smashed and missing the 1st 4 weeks of the season would of been him wanting to be fullback early on. Once Smith, Hiku and Whare were injured we had no troops to move him.

If we had kept Soward or Seg had TMM fit. Hell even if Peachey was able to play 6 over Cartwright it wouldn't of been an issue

mxlegend99

Referee
Smith, Whare, Hiku being fit would of given us options to do that. Edwards played a game we struggled. So don't pretend like we didn't look at him.
We lost to Sharks. Not at all because of Edwards. Trying to rewrite history?

One game where he was fine and then he's gone. We got smashed in Clearys debut too.

But Storm and Sharks were the grand finalists. On another level to us.

Last edited:

OldPanther

Coach
He was our most creative player. His kick returns sucked. His positioning sucked and as a last line of defence he sucked.

That's why it was obvious he was a half. To nearly everyone.

Yes it seems obvious. Silky passing game and is a good runner in that way that a good half does to put defenders/attackers in the positions you want. I can understand needing time to develop Edwards but that's happened. Going to Cartwright after TMM didn't work out showed the unwillingness and he did the move out of necessity rather than ever wanting to.

mxlegend99

Referee
I just remembered another fullback/winger alternative last year.

Zac Hardaker
DWZ
Edwards

But we had no fullback options other than Moylan.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yes. Do you? After all, you appear to think Moylan is a better playing as a half AT fullback. Explain that to me.

Not having to make decisions in defence. Or making as many tackles for starters. It is why the change to halves takes time and missing large chunks of last year hurt the move

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
We lost to Sharks. Not at all because of Edwards. Trying to rewrite history?

One game where he was fine and then he's gone. We got smashed in Clearys debut too.

But Storm and Sharks were the grand finalists. On another level to us.

Cleary made 38 tackles on debut. Things like that is what they use when seeing if someone is ready or not.

Edwards had 11 runs. 70m gained 5 tackles 1 missed. 2 line breaks and 1 error. Hardly anything to say lets change a team that had won 8/9 or something at the time.

Hardaker 11 Games. 1 try. 59 runs. 482m. 1 linebreak. 3 try assists. 4 offloads, 65 tackles 10 missed and 7 errors

Again hardly stats that would make leaving say JFH out worth it

OldPanther

Coach
once the change happened was never going to go back. Who is the back up now is the question

We have 3 halves, 2 hookers, 1 utility, a ball playing back rower who is a desperate stop gap and the best nursery in the country. It's not perfect but it's not panic stations either.