What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to fight AFL (60 Minutes)

Dr J.

Juniors
Dr J why in gods name are you on a rugby league forum if you're so into AFL?

As hard as it is for you to believe I'm actually a Dragons fan.

Must league be the only sport that a poster has an interest in to post on this board.

I follow Arsenal in EPL, and am a huge Red Sox fan. Am I now banned?

Who said I was so into AFL?

I merely pointed out some total crap posted by a few posters. (essendon in financial trouble, yeah right)

beave

Coach
Wow, the plot thickens indeed.........didn't even see that coming. Here I was thinking that the mum on that story was just an everyday mum............bloody hell 9, there are 2 possible scenarios with this, either 9 is stupider than us and didn't do an ounce of research and know who this propagandizing whore was, or fully well knew it and tried to sly it into the story to try and push this barrow against league that they all of a sudden are happy to take part of. Either way, it shows just how much they don't deserve to have the rights to televise our game, but the problem is, who else will show it???? Really p!sses me off.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
Wow, the plot thickens indeed.........didn't even see that coming. Here I was thinking that the mum on that story was just an everyday mum............bloody hell 9, there are 2 possible scenarios with this, either 9 is stupider than us and didn't do an ounce of research and know who this propagandizing whore was, or fully well knew it and tried to sly it into the story to try and push this barrow against league that they all of a sudden are happy to take part of. Either way, it shows just how much they don't deserve to rights to televise our game, but the problem is, who else will show it???? Really p!sses me off.

Let's hope Media Watch find out about this one.

"Everyday mum":lol:

Nice one Nein. The sooner we get away from this mob, the better.

Wow, the plot thickens indeed.........didn't even see that coming. Here I was thinking that the mum on that story was just an everyday mum............bloody hell 9, there are 2 possible scenarios with this, either 9 is stupider than us and didn't do an ounce of research and know who this propagandizing whore was, or fully well knew it and tried to sly it into the story to try and push this barrow against league that they all of a sudden are happy to take part of. Either way, it shows just how much they don't deserve to rights to televise our game, but the problem is, who else will show it???? Really p!sses me off.

ive missed something.

who was the mum they quoted in the story?

Knightmare

Coach
I've just been going through an old book of mine, and I found a couple of paragraphs both interesting and strangely current.

It is basically talking about how the Knights came about. They were asked to submit a proposal to the NSWRL for the 1982 season, but they declined due to them feeling a team in the NSWRL would weaken the Newcastle Rugby League, and that they didn't feel they were ready. Canberra then got given the licence instead (as Illawarra was already given a licence). After a couple of years of planning and research, Newcastle then submitted their proposal to the NSWRL, but was turned down. I quote the book from this point:

By 1985 Newcastle had a concerted proposal to drop on Sydney's doorstep. The NSW Rugby League was most impressed but rejected the idea on the basis that the game's expansionist policy had been placed on ice. In fact, the policy makers had adopted a plan for fewer, rather than more, clubs. Newcastle re-applied in 1986 only to be met with the same response.

Yet help was at hand, and it came from the most unlikely source. The Victorian Football League had decided to spread the Australian Rules gospel by relocating the South Melbourne Swans to Sydney and launching the Brisbane Bears in Queensland. Suddenly, the rugby league heartland was under siege from an expansionist and ambitious code. To counter the threat from the southern game, the NSW Rugby League plucked its own expansionist policy from the bottom drawer, dusted it off and put it right back on the agenda. When the Newcastle delegation took their case to Sydney again, the response was entirely different. To answer the Aussie Rules challenge, the NSWRL had committed itself to a plan that would increase the premiership composition from 13 to 16 clubs.

In April 1987, the NSWRL's Phillip Street headquarters issued a bold proclamation. Not one, but three new clubs would take part in the 1988 premiership. They would be Brisbane, the Gold Coast.......... and Newcastle.

This is from the book 'Our Town, Our Team: The Story Of The Newcastle Knights' by Neil Jameson. I think it came out in 1992 sometime.

The more things change ...!

Good book that, haven't seen it in years though. I wish someone would pen a new book on the Knights, because a lot has happened at the club since 1992!

beave

Coach
ive missed something.

who was the mum they quoted in the story?

the story on 60 minutes showed this woman on the sidelines of the Maroubra game, they way they portrayed her was that she had a couple of kids that decided to play the game and she was more than happy to accommodate, but on further investigation by someone in here, you see that she is more than just a "normal" mum......

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
As hard as it is for you to believe I'm actually a Dragons fan.

Must league be the only sport that a poster has an interest in to post on this board.

I follow Arsenal in EPL, and am a huge Red Sox fan. Am I now banned?

Who said I was so into AFL?

I merely pointed out some total crap posted by a few posters. (essendon in financial trouble, yeah right)

Has Dr Wally's balls finally dropped?

I knew you couldn't stay away from here forever.

the story on 60 minutes showed this woman on the sidelines of the Maroubra game, they way they portrayed her was that she had a couple of kids that decided to play the game and she was more than happy to accommodate, but on further investigation by someone in here, you see that she is more than just a "normal" mum......

ta for that but i meant what makes her dodgy.

is she connected to the AFL, or something like that?

mark123

Juniors
60 minutes countdown to extinction has begun

she was instrumental in getting 2 micky mouse international afl teams to play against each other some time this year or next.

Her husbane is from overseas from when she visited overseas (middle east perhaps) and he was "watching" tv one night when afl came on and was apparently "instantly" hooked.

It was his idea, she took it on, and went to the afl with it, and they ran with it. She has invested much time and effort into this endeavor.

So as you can see, she is no "normal" impartial mum who just happens to want her kids to play afl instead of league now....she is an afl warrior

This virtually discredits 9's entire story and highlights their underlying agenda.

Now this is out, expect some HEAVY hitting letters and flak sent to 60 minutes, so mailbag will be interesting this week for two reasons: 1...if some of said letters make it to air and 2. the crap 60 minutes might spin instead.

We know that 60 minutes pays for its stories. I am not so sure they always did, but it seems the practice has been happening for about 10 years now.

Now we know 60 minutes can be bought themselves.

It was not an impartial report. This changes 60 minutes for me forever.

They have got it all wrong now. All their stories have taken a turn for the worse, driving at some catastrophe or impending doom or sensationalism, instead of real-world reporting.

I fully expect 60 minutes to lose further its grip on sunday ratings.

This is because this "sports" story is a huge commonality to australians, and those who follow rl will undoubtedly be put offside - first by the story, and second by the fallout in such stories as this supposed AFL mum.

60 minutes = credibility gone. Watch them recede into a second rate show further and lose ratings and begin the downward spiral.

And I have a feeling eddie mcguire had something to do with this.

And I bet they had to run the story by andrew demetriou before it went to air.

Doesnt matter how high you rise, you are still human, making human mistakes...eddie or someone is going to pay dearly for this, in the 60 minutes tattered legacy or some similar dismembered form.

Last edited:

mark123

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23529110-2,00.html

A very interesting story.

The whole rugby league v afl drama story is taking yet another twist.

I had forgotten 60 minutes was a stink now.

do a search for 60 minutes on google or yahoo or similar, and wow.

This particular link comes from our friends at news ltd.

The first paragraph makes mention of how viewers were cheated of the full picture by 60 minutes in a father-daughter incest story.

Not only is this fact interesting, but could the league/afl story be payback for news ltd reporting of the show?

So perhaps something hidden from our view has happened behind the scenes and they pay each other back in kind.

This is one for our father company, so hopefully they help us out of the ditch it may have gotten us into (assuming anyone believe the 60 minutes story).

mark123

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23529110-2,00.html

......60 minutes has become a longer version of 'a current affair'.

The show really stinks now, and its not limited to the rl v afl story.

Peter overton earns 650k a year.

League was a victim of sensationalism. And probably (my opinion) a stab from 60 minutes over news ltd reporting of the once prestigious show.

"60 Minutes often had audiences of 2.5 million-plus in the 1980s, but now averages 1.2 million national viewers. The former heavy-hitting current affairs program has this year featured reports on cannibalism and freakish physical augmentations, among others.
It has also indulged in blatant cross-promotion, with reports on Sea Patrol actor Lisa McCune and AFL Footy Show host Sam Newman's prostate operation."

So we can fear monger all we like, but what we have here is a case of "already taken care of". Who believes 60 minutes anymore anyway...the article is pure juice, such a great way to spend 5 minutes

Last edited:

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Good find mark123. There is definitely something rotten going on here.

60 Minutes often had audiences of 2.5 million-plus in the 1980s, but now averages 1.2 million national viewers. The former heavy-hitting current affairs program has this year featured reports on cannibalism and freakish physical augmentations, among others.
It has also indulged in blatant cross-promotion, with reports on Sea Patrol actor Lisa McCune and AFL Footy Show host Sam Newman's prostate operation.

Latest posts