What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Timmy's back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lingard

Coach
How is signing a good player going backwards?

Tim Smith has demonstrated problems. But if the guy was as good as,say, Jonathon Thurston, you would give him another go at proving he had overcome them. But he isn`t. He isn`t in the same ball-park as Thurston....or Wallace, or Scott Prince or Benji Marshall, or Brett Kimorley, or Stacey Jones or ....just about any first grade NRL half-back. The guy had one good year. Overall, he`d have to be the most over-hyped, over-rated player in the history of the Parramatta club. I would take Kris Keating over Tim Smith without a moment`s hesitation.
Please stop this nonsense, and give Keating the respect he deserves! :x

ianlovesparra

Juniors
Tim Smith has demonstrated problems. But if the guy was as good as,say, Jonathon Thurston, you would give him another go at proving he had overcome them. But he isn`t. He isn`t in the same ball-park as Thurston....or Wallace, or Scott Prince or Benji Marshall, or Brett Kimorley, or Stacey Jones or ....just about any first grade NRL half-back. The guy had one good year. Overall, he`d have to be the most over-hyped, over-rated player in the history of the Parramatta club. I would take Kris Keating over Tim Smith without a moment`s hesitation.

that post is so far from the truth its not funny
keatings future lies in the number 6 jersey, he runs the ball too much to be a halfback.
and mate,
im pretty sure you cant fluke 40 try assists in 2005
and then back it up with 29 in 2007 being only a couple behind thurston.
Of course hes not in the same ball park as thurston prince or wallace, they are the three best halves in the world. Stacey Jones and Brett Kimmorley are has beens.

Take Jamie Soward for example; more maligned than Tim, and under a good coach look what has happened.

BRING HIM BACK

caylo

Bench
keatings future lies in the number 6 jersey, he runs the ball too much to be a halfback.
and mate,
Of course hes not in the same ball park as thurston prince or wallace, they are the three best halves in the world. Stacey Jones and Brett Kimmorley are has beens.

Take Jamie Soward for example; more maligned than Tim, and under a good coach look what has happened.

BRING HIM BACK

I disagree, KK can be a very good halfback. Thurston who is a genuine 6 , but now prob the best 7 in the world, and runs the ball more than any halfback off all time (including guys like Johns, Ricky and Afly). Thurstons running game is what makes him such a good halfback along with his very good short kicking game. Prince is actually techniqually a better halfback then Thurston IMO. He has a better long passing and kicking game and prob on par in terms of short passing and kicking. The difference between the two is that Thurston running game id far superior even though princes is very good.

Now KK has a good kicking game and a good short passing game (his long passing game needs work), but his running game is what causes defenders to hold back and wait for him to make the play. That is the reason he has alot more time to kick the ball, but yet you still see him make halfbreak 4-5 times a game. Mortimer, who also has a good long passing and kicking game would complement KK very well if he stood on off him (or at 5-8) better than if KK was outside him.

KK is dangerous with the ball in hand, and he was developing into a very good halfback IMO. He seams to learn alot very quickly but is talked about alot less. Preasure does not get to him, and I think he is the sort of player that will have an off season and come back twice the player he was. He is a cronk type players IMO aswell, which he will be a very good firstgrader but I'm not as sure he will be as good as somone like Thurston or Prince.

Raudonikis

Juniors

You have to kidding,or are you really parra pete?

lucablight

First Grade

Thurston and Prince are better but as a halfback Tim Smith is better than all of the other players you mentioned. As for only having one good year where were you during 2007? Tim doesn't get enough credit for how well he played that year.
No one is disrespecting Kris Keating btw. I'm sure most supporters want him in the side.

bartman

Immortal
I remember four pretty poor games at halfback last year.

Tim had heaps of talent sure, but I think in hindsight we are maybe forgetting the bad bits that were often part of his game after the brilliance of his debut year.

lucablight

First Grade
I remember four pretty poor games at halfback last year.

Tim had heaps of talent sure, but I think in hindsight we are maybe forgetting the bad bits that were often part of his game after the brilliance of his debut year.

Why do people on talk about his debut year? He was great in 07 as well. He hardly played enough games last year to judge him on. What about this year where he recently received 2 man of the match awards in 3 weeks?

bartman

Immortal
2005 - great
2006 - ok...
2007 - good...
2008 - sh*t... for us and in England
2009 - good, in England... (except for the weeks before being dropped for four weeks)

Good luck to him, but I wouldn't sign him for more than $80000 and extra depth, until he shows more consistency.

lingard

Coach
and mate,

BRING HIM BACK

Umm...Soward`s a better player than Tim Smith. As for Keating running the ball too much to be a half-back - Tim Smith didn`t run the ball enough to be a half-back.

lingard

Coach
Thurston and Prince are better but as a halfback Tim Smith is better than all of the other players you mentioned. As for only having one good year where were you during 2007? Tim doesn't get enough credit for how well he played that year.
No one is disrespecting Kris Keating btw. I'm sure most supporters want him in the side.

Actually, all this Tim Smith sh*t is disrespecting Kris Keating. While we`ve got him playing, we DON`T NEED a half-back. End of story.

benoir91

Juniors
Umm...Soward`s a better player than Tim Smith. As for Keating running the ball too much to be a half-back - Tim Smith didn`t run the ball enough to be a half-back.

I think you've missed the point.
Ian is saying that Soward was in a similar boat to Tim, but has come good now. He's only a better player than Smith now because of that transformation in his game.

lucablight

First Grade
Actually, all this Tim Smith sh*t is disrespecting Kris Keating. While we`ve got him playing, we DON`T NEED a half-back. End of story.

6.) Kris Keating
7.) Tim Smith

Which would allow Mateo to go back to lock. In fact if you look at Keatings profile on the official Eels website it describes him as a five eighth so I really don't see how you could consider playing him there "disrespectful".

benoir91

Juniors
6.) Kris Keating
7.) Tim Smith

Which would allow Mateo to go back to lock. In fact if you look at Keatings profile on the official Eels website it describes him as a five eighth so I really don't see how you could consider playing him there "disrespectful".

That would be a great combo, Kris Keating can take some pressure off Tims running game.

lucablight

First Grade
You guys seems to be harping on about his football skills, yet forget the most important thing - mentally he's as weak as piss.

He's back now because he was homesick. :roll:

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25542791-5006066,00.html

Tim cannot handle the pressure of day to day life, let alone being an NRL player. Move on. :arrow:

Right....because being homesick means you are mentally weak. I bet the broncos regret signing someone as "mentally weak" as Justin Hodges after he complained about being homesick at the Roosters. He had already had his time at the broncos. They should have moved on and not taken him back.

Gronk

Staff member
Right....because being homesick means you are mentally weak. I bet the broncos regret signing someone as "mentally weak" as Justin Hodges after he complained about being homesick at the Roosters. He had already had his time at the broncos. They should have moved on and not taken him back.

He has displayed many more instances of his inability to cope with personal/professional pressure.

lingard

Coach
I think you've missed the point.
Ian is saying that Soward was in a similar boat to Tim, but has come good now. He's only a better player than Smith now because of that transformation in his game.

I don`t think I have. I think the reason that Soward improved his game so much is that he is intrinsically a very good player. He had it in him. I don`t think Tim Smith does. I think Tim Smith peaked for ONE year, and that was it. Even in his debut year I thought he was over-rated, and I was waiting for the big improvement to happen in the following year. Well, it just never did. I`m not interested at all in his mental state or his personality. Purely on his playing ability and his playing style, I wouldn`t have him and I don`t rate him. Never did. That doesn`t make me an idiot or a goose or a traitor or anything else; it`s just my opinion and always has been. Even before any of his drunken misdemeanours, I didn`t like him much as a player. I still think he was grossly over-rated.