What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tinkler proposal back on (take 3)

Serc

First Grade
As far as the meeting being held on the day of the season launch, well firstly the season launch would have been planned some time ago.

Yes I think they had it locked in a fair while ago, but was a little flexible even as late as this time last week.

It sounds as if there was some delay getting the final document and as such the meeting had to postponed till later in the day. Burro does not get a vote so he would have said his piece and left.

Yeah I also read this in another news article somewhere...but I'm guessing these delays occured after they locked in the date for the launch.

It been supported by the majority it is now out of everyones hands and in the hands of a minority there is no more that Tew, Burraston, Edwards or Tinkler can do.

Don't forget mr pervy's little speech at the members meeting the other night! If you ask me, Tinkler is going to have to tell the members himself why they 'should trust him with their club' and all the sorts of questions that the cynics have been asking.

That was great, He addressed a few of the important issues that were causing the concern and came across really well. Is there any official date on the vote yet or still just speculation?

I think that it depends when the board can get al the info from the printers so that they can send all the info to members but tentative date is March 31(venue to be decided but i would say its at Panthers)

roopy

Referee
good interview.

I look forward to seeing if he has plans to strengthen the local comp.

I've been saying for a few years that we need to amalgamate the Central coast, Newcastle and Hunter Valley comps and have about 6 or 8 of the richest clubs in the 'first division' put up teams of a high enough standard to be our feeder teams.

The system we had in 2009 threw up players like Chris Adams and Marvin Filipo, but overall the comp wasn't strong enough.
Tinks could join with rich clubs like Wyong, Wests, Lakes, Singleton, The Entrance, Cessnock etc and make that concept work. The concept had a lot going for it even without Tinks money, but he can make it happen properly.

Just trust me: Burraston patrons’ model plug requires leap of faith from members

BY KEVIN CRANSON
05 Mar, 2011 04:00 AM
IT is interesting that Knights chief executive officer Steve Burraston continues to spruik his ‘‘patrons’ trust’’ as an alternative to the Tinkler deal. Burraston was at it again at the season launch on Thursday night, as the board was signing off on the Tinkler deal.
It was up to the members whether they chose to privatise the club, Burraston said, but ‘‘if they decide not to, we have a patrons’ trust, which kicks in as well and puts a minimum $6million cash into our business over the next four years’’.
The patrons’ trust is Burraston’s baby. While the negotiations between the Tinkler Sports Group and the Knights were playing out, Burraston was busy behind the scenes trying to cobble the patrons’ trust together.
The trust involves Hunter businessman Andrew Poole and two anonymous patrons agreeing to give $2million each to the Knights in the next four years. It was unveiled hastily last week after Tinkler withdrew his second, revised offer to buy the club.
Burraston says he has been working on the patrons’ trust model for more than a year as the struggling club has looked at alternative sources of revenue.
Yet embarrassingly for the club, the fundamental detail of the model – whether it was a gift or a loan – was the cause of confusion.
Speaking on radio the morning the patrons’ trust was revealed, chairman Rob Tew declared it was a loan.
Revered board member Leigh Maughan was firmly of that opinion when he declared in the Newcastle Herald: ‘‘It’s a prick of a deal because you wind up with a debt that has to be repaid with interest.’’
Later that day, Burraston said there were two versions of the patrons’ trust, one in which the proceeds were a loan and the other in which they were a gift.
Poole and his anonymous colleagues have insisted that it be the latter and they are to be congratulated for their generosity. But, with the greatest respect to them, the trust promises more of the same.
The Knights have been kept alive by a long list of benefactors as they get deeper into debt and pay last year’s bills with next year’s money from sponsors, members and ticket sales.
Before the patrons there was Tinkler, whom the Herald revealed last year had secretly lent the Knights $500,000 in 2008.
It was the continued requests for money that prompted Tinkler to seek to buy the club outright.
Before Tinkler, there was the Newcastle Jockey Club, flush with funds from the sale of the Beaumont Park greyhound club site and bizarrely, the now defunct Gold Coast Chargers.
You can add multimillionaires Jeff McCloy and Con Constantine to that list.
No doubt there have been others.
And, of course, there was the Wests Group, which agreed in December 2005 to underwrite the Knights’ losses for up to $1million a year in a deal that was to guarantee the financial future of the club.
But the marriage collapsed just over two years later when Wests pointed out to the Knights that it wasn’t a blank cheque and asked for some financial accountability.
Trust is the operative word in the patrons’ trust.
Members have to trust, for a start, that the two anonymous benefactors exist.
The Herald has no reason to think that they do not but in the absence of any proof it is a leap of faith that the members must make.
The members must trust, too, that Poole and the two anonymous benefactors will remain in a position to make good on their promises.
And members have to trust that Poole and co won’t become fed up, like their predecessors, of pouring their money into a black hole.
That level of trust has not been shown by the Knights board in Tinkler.
Nor should it, given that it is endorsing to members a deal in which they will hand over the keys to the castle. But nor should Tinkler be subject to distrust.
His motives appear every bit as honourable as the club’s would-be patrons’ and he undoubtedly has the money to make good on his promises.
Regardless, the beauty of the Tinkler deal is that you don’t have to trust him.
Thanks to the thoroughness, dedication and sheer bloody-mindedness of Tew, the Knights have secured an unbelievable offer to put to their members.
And if Tinkler defaults in any way, the deal is secured by a $20million bank guarantee in favour of the club for the first two years and $10million for the remaining eight years.
Should members vote to accept the deal, the first cheque Tinkler writes will be upwards of $6million to pay out the club’s debts and top up this year’s sponsorship from the Knights’ estimate of $7million to the $10million he has promised.
After that, there will be a minimum of $10million a year in sponsorship revenue.
Guaranteed.
The patrons’ trust is not an alternative to this and for Burraston to keep muddying the waters as club members prepare to vote on the Tinkler deal leaves him open to accusations of self-interest, given that a no vote would allow him to keep his position. The only thing the patrons’ trust guarantees is that the Knights will continue in the same manner they have since their inception in 1988, an under-resourced club living from hand to mouth, one bad season away from financial ruin and looking for the next multimillionaire to sidle up to and whisper: ‘‘Hey mate, any chance of a few hundred grand to get us out of a tight spot?’’

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...f-faith-from-members/2094371.aspx?storypage=0

Pretty fair article IMO, questions have to be asked why u'd even suggest a patrons model with Tinklers revised deal.

Spot On

Coach
My understanding is that the Patron's Trust model is one that will see the club's debt and interest repayments increase. Yes it is an extra income stream but one that will place the club in a situation it is currently trying???? to get out of. More debt. Interesting article. The Board are screaming out for transparency from Tinkler re his deal yet Burro has two phantoms, the identity of which is known to no one it seems, who are willing to inject millions into the club over the coming years in a deal that Tew says is a loan and Burro says is a gift! Pot calling the kettle black? This Patron's Trust model should be known as the Phantom's Trust model maybe? Or at least until Burro, who's been working on the deal for a year now, can actually present it to the public with the backers details provide for all to be scrutinised as Tinkler has been.

Last edited:
Dishonest article from Cranston, ignorant post from Spot On.

How'd we guess Macavity would come charging into the boards aid.

Seriously Macavity, Burro and Tew should be out there in the streets with trumpets trying to get this deal across instead they keep are doing nothing to sway the old codger vote and infact encouraging them to vote no with this Patrons trust sh*t.

Cranston's article will either push the deal through or garner 'the feel sorry for the board' vote that the soon to be six feet under mob are spruiking. We can be one of the poorest or the outright richest club. If that involves logic then the world has gone postal.

For the record I think the board should be commended and I believe they are still acting in the club's best interest and not their own as the article basically suggests. Burro has clearly stated 'it is the best deal' to paraphrase him. Hence to a degree Macca is right. Cranston is ignorant.

slotmachine

First Grade

roopy

Referee
Burraston has a moral obligation at least to put all proposals to the members.

It's not his job to 'pick winners' and only put that to the members - that is actually what the members will be deciding about.

His moral responsibility is clear - and i wouldn't be surprized if he actually has a legal responsibility to provide all alternatives as well.

If the vote went ahead and someone decided they had not recieved information on all possible alternatives, it's quite possible that the vote could be overturned by a court.

Serc

First Grade
Great post roops...he has to sell all the options indeed.

Dishonest article from Cranston

This

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...inkler-deal-endorsed/2093417.aspx?storypage=2

"It really will come down to a decision by the members whether they want to stay a community club through membership ownership or whether they’re happy to privatise the club and give up that right."

Surely you can see how comments like that can be construed as not being in favour of privatisation?

While I can't find that quote in the article you have linked, I have seen it written somewhere else and cringed when I did. Maybe its an unlucky piece of wording but I think Burro should be careful what he says! As on face value it does read like he is trying to sell one over the other. However, along with this once piece of evidence there is a whole lot of other evidence that a number of people (including Burro) have been working hard to get the best, and fairest deal out of Tinkler as possible, so I'm happy to continue backing him :)