What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toa Samoa - World Cup Build-Up

fobsta

Juniors
SamoaTel sponsors Toa Samoa
Jasmine Netzler and Tofilau Uelese Tofilau
0919Tuilagi_Maiava.jpg

Tuilagi Maiava Saipele Esera reveals the new Toa Samoa jersey.
SamoaTel wants rugby league developed in Samoa – why the company has sponsored preparations for the Rugby League World Cup (RLWC) to the tune of $250,000.

Toa Samoa, our national rugby league team, has Tonga first up in their World Cup campaign - on 31 October.

SamoaTel Chairman Rev. Dr. Iutisone Salevao said on Wednesday, “We support rugby league and its development in our country, which is why we are more than ever happy to help our national team to the World Cup, and also to revive the sport.”

“We see rugby league as a bright future for our youth,” Rev. Salevao said.
Samoa Rugby League President Peter Paul said the “sponsorship will go a long way,” not only with the World Cup but hosting local tournaments to develop rugby league.

“We believe, with the SamoaTel’s backing we are going to go a long way,” Mr Paul said.

But as one cliché goes ‘action speaks louder than words,’ which he’s says, will be seen in the Toa Samoa outfit in October.

“In the World Cup we believe we are really going to lift the standard, and we are going to prove to the world that the game exists in here and there is a big future for our athletes.”

“And we are honoured to have SamoaTel with us, just a great honour.”

SamoaTel Chief Executive Officer Mike Johnston sees their sponsorship as an “ongoing commitment,” to rugby league.

“We just started this sponsorship now, we will find out if it’s an ongoing commitment,” Mr Johnston said. “And we look forward to extend the sponsorship that it will bring, at this stage the contract that we review on an annual basis and we look forward to even greater things,” he said.

DEAL
Under the sponsorship deal the conditions are:

• SamoaTel secures Secondary Jersey Naming Rights for Rugby League World Cup 2008
• SamoaTel secures Tournament Naming Rights for National Championship Tournaments for Rugby League Samoa 2008-2009

The Major Sponsorship deal will see SamoaTel featured prominently on the Toa Samoa and Fetu Samoa playing jerseys not only during the RLWC but in all official games and events through to 31st August 2009.

More significantly for SamoaTel, is the naming rights and involvement with the National tournaments, contributing greatly to the development of the game in Samoa.

RLS is indeed grateful for this timely signing since it is undergoing a major funding campaign to finance the RLWC campaigns of both the Toa Samoa and Fetu Samoa held in October/November this year.

RLS President Mr Peter Paul stated; “It is such an honor to welcome SamoaTel on board, not only as a Jersey Naming Rights Partner, but especially as the Major Sponsor for our local National tournaments which is the key to the development of rugby league in Samoa.”

The decision by SamoaTel to align itself with a growing recognized sports brand in Toa Samoa and now also Fetu o Samoa is in line with their long time service to Samoan sports ever since its inception as a telecommunications company over five years ago.

”I am very pleased with this initiative”, said SamoaTel Chairman, Rev Dr Iutisone Salevao. “It means that our National rugby league teams will be able to compete and represent Samoa well in the Rugby League World Cup and we’re proud to be a major part of that milestone.”

Rugby League Samoa’s dual World Cup Campaigns for both Toa Samoa and Fetu Samoa began with trials and selections back in July and August in both Samoa and New Zealand.

The launching of the RLWC Gear will be held in Auckland on Friday 26th September followed by a send off for Toa Samoa planned for mid October before they depart for their base camp in Sydney on 21st October.

MATCHES

Toa Samoa kicks off its RLWC draw on 31st October, with their first match against Tonga in Penrith.

Fetu Samoa plans to depart from Auckland for the women’s competition in early November with their tournament running from 6th to the finals on 15th November.

The commercial agents and administrative consultants for RLS in Event Polynesia negotiated the SamoaTel deal.

The launch of the Toa Samoa RLWC SAS Sports Gear on 26th September in Auckland and the Sendoff Event in Samoa Friday 17th October, also double as fundraising drives for RLS in their RLWC campaign.

According to Tuilagi Maiava Saipele Esera of Event Polynesia, “This deal completes the sourcing of both the Primary and Secondary Naming Rights for Rugby League Samoa’s National Team Jerseys.” The strategy of having two Jersey Naming Rights Partners is a first for a Samoan National Team.

It is part of Rugby League International Federation and Rugby League World Cup Limited’s intention to enable teams like Samoa to finance their participation through this type of initiative.

http://www.samoaobserver.ws/local/LNPages/0908/1908ln003.htm

Good stuff. Hopefully we'll start to see their jersey now too. But WTF is Fetu Samoa? Is that the women's team or something?

hutch

First Grade
some great news coming uot of samoa. we have all been harsh on them before, and they deserved it, but if they still go ahead with the 5 domestically produced players then full credit to them. the rlif are too weak to imply the rule so its up to these sorts of countries to continue to develop local players for the national team. who knows, these local players might just earn themselves a contract. i think the domestic player rule was the best rule that has ever been put in place for international rugby league and i hope that one day it is enforced.

playdaball

Bench
Excluding the Warriors who play in an Australian competition , please remind me how many domestic players New Zealand have in their team?

NZ domestic players from their prelim squad excluding Warriors: Fraser Anderson, Roy Asotasi, Adam Blair, Rangi Chase, Greg Eastwood, David Fa'alogo, Weller Hauraki, Tommy Leuluai, Jeff Lima, Isaac Luke, Steve Matai, Fui Fui Moi Moi, Setaimata Sa, Sia Soliola, Ben Te'o, Cooper Vuna, Brent Webb. I think that's a few more then Samoa.

nadera78

Juniors
So the ARL (who normally insist on an Australian to referee test matches involving Australia) are allowing a guy from the one year old Samoan domestic comp to be involved in the RLWC?

That makes a lot of sense!

roopy

Referee
So the ARL (who normally insist on an Australian to referee test matches involving Australia) are allowing a guy from the one year old Samoan domestic comp to be involved in the RLWC?

That makes a lot of sense!
I can't see him doing more than running the sidelines or maybe being one of two video refs, but i hope they have a ref from all countries for the experience.

hutch

First Grade
Excluding the Warriors who play in an Australian competition , please remind me how many domestic players New Zealand have in their team?

they dont have to be playing in the domestic competition, they have to have been produced domestically. therefore if a player actually from samoa plays well at this years world cup, gets signed by a club here in oz and moves here to play, he is still counted as a domestic player.

saddog

Juniors
"So the ARL (who normally insist on an Australian to referee test matches involving Australia) are allowing a guy from the one year old Samoan domestic comp to be involved in the RLWC?

That makes a lot of sense!"

Its a development exercise FFS - the Samoan officials will not be appointed to key roles in RLWC games, maybe they will get curtain raisers and other WC Festival games (Polide, Defence, Womens).

Give these people some credit

kiwileaguefan

Juniors

Off the top of my head, 36 of the 49 players named in the NZ squad have played domestic league in NZ:whistle

Or 14 of the 17 that played in the ANZAC test this year have played domestic football in NZ. This is largely because of the NJC U18 and U16's competitions run by the NZRL.

Last edited:

playdaball

Bench
they dont have to be playing in the domestic competition, they have to have been produced domestically. therefore if a player actually from samoa plays well at this years world cup, gets signed by a club here in oz and moves here to play, he is still counted as a domestic player.

Fair call what about Scotland and Ireland?

playdaball

Bench
Off the top of my head, 36 of the 49 players named in the NZ squad have played domestic league in NZ:whistle

Or 14 of the 17 that played in the ANZAC test this year have played domestic football in NZ. This is largely because of the NJC U18 and U16's competitions run by the NZRL.

Sweet I was more asking about players CURRENTLY playing domestic football.

Who was the last domestic test player for the Kiwis - you'd have to go back to the 80s - Dave Ewe, Mike Dorren?

I don't actually know.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Sweet I was more asking about players CURRENTLY playing domestic football.

Who was the last domestic test player for the Kiwis - you'd have to go back to the 80s - Dave Ewe, Mike Dorren?

I don't actually know.

Why though? Our domestic competition is not even semi professional.

NZ A (made up of Bartercard Cup players) played GB in 2003...Also Thomas Leualui played most of the season in 2003 in Baretracrd Cup then went on to play for the Kiwis vs Australia..

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Last domestic Kiwi would be before the Warriors in 1994, same as a QLD Origin player coming from Valleys, Wynnum etc it hasn't happened since 1987.

marv

Juniors
didnt lance hohaia get a call up when he was playing bartercard the year before last?

Latest posts