What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toa Samoa - World Cup Build-Up

sicsac

Juniors
I don't know where you get the information that League has a long history in Samoa, because it doesn't. Samoa is a Rugby UNION state, it is all about union. The league players only play league when there are no union games on!!! And yes we are developing slowly without the help of a corrupt association who seem to be getting a lot of funding but nothing much but a dusty old field to play games on every saturday to show for it. So yes I believe that if Samoa fought hard to win their qualifying matches and officals have not brought anything up about the eligibility of the players then who are you to say they hav eno right to play in the world cup? Maybe if your country was so in to league then they would have qualified??

fobsta

Juniors
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Toa Samoa touch-down[/FONT]
Fasavalu Europa Rose
1017Toa_Samoa.jpg

Toa Samoa have touched down in Apia to prepare for Rugby League’s centennial World Cup in late October and early November. Some of the team members did some local shopping around town yesterday. L-R: David Solomona of Bradford club from Tafitoala, Wayne McDade of Auckland Vulcans from Satoalepai, Tangi Ropati of East-Brisbane from Tanugamanono, Ali Lauitiiti of Leeds from Iva, George Carmont of Wigan from Malaela and Francise Meli of St. Helens from Apia. Photo: Tofilau Uelese Tofilau.
The Toa Samoa Rugby League team has touched down in Apia to prepare for their World Cup encounter next week in Australia.

Included in the team are some of the games most high-profile names like Harrison Hansan, George Carmont, the Puletua brothers, Matt Utai and Francis Meli.

The team is scheduled to march Beach road this morning at 9am, before their send-off corporate function tonight at the Faleata Sport Facilities Gymnasium 1 at 7pm.

The 24-man squad will be in Samoa for one week doing their training sessions and meeting the public, before their departure next Thursday to the World Cup host, Australia.

New Zealand Warriors assistant Coach John Ackland is the Toa’s Head Coach and managed by Fou Solomona, both of whom are expected to be present tonight.

Samoa is pooled together with Ireland and arch-rival Tonga, who will be their first World Cup opponent on the 31st of this month.

Also in town is Samoa’s women rugby league team, Fetu Samoa, who are also getting ready for their World Cup in late November.

Helping the national rugby league team to glory is SIFA and SamoaTel.

http://www.samoaobserver.ws/sports/SPNews/1008/1708sp001.htm

fobsta

Juniors
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Toa to play like there's no tomorrow[/FONT]
Fasavalu Europa Rose
1018Toa_Samoa.jpg

Toa Samoa captain, Nigel Vagana with Lauaki Fereti Tuilagi, Head Coach John Ackland, assistant-Coach Willie Po-Ching, and Trainer Apollo Perelini. The team is here to get the country's blessings before the Rugby League World Cup. More detais in Sports Section. Photo: Fasavalu Europa Rose

1018Toa_Samoa_Head.jpg

Toa Samoa Head Coach John Ackalnd and Manager Fou Solomona meet the Ministers of Cabinet in front of the Government building yesterday. (Photo: Fasavalu Europa Rose)
Toa Samoa's coach Coach John Ackland is pumped for the rugby league world cup next week.

The team has assembled in town, “we got a couple of weeks to prepare and we are going to rip and do it,” said Ackland.

The Toa’s first match is against the hardcore Tongans on the 31st of this month.

“Come out Friday when we run out against Tonga we are going to be prompt and ready to go,” he said.

According to Ackland the 2008 Toa squad is worthy for the challenge, “we got a very good team,” he said.

“We got a very well balanced good team and we’re looking forward to playing.”

This was also the reply of Captain Nigel Vagana, “We got a very good team,” he said.

“I was in the 95 team, when we had Lolagi Koko, Apollo Perelini, John Schuster, Tuigamala we had a very good team then and I think this team is probably on the same level.”

“So it’s a blessing that we’re able to put together a team, and hopefully we will shoe it on the field.”

Time says Vagana is on their side, “The Tongans have got two games before they meet us, but our boys are coming into camp a week early.”

“So we’re getting two weeks together before we meet Tonga, it’s a big game for us but we will be ready.”

Ackland and his boys will be witnessing the SamoaTel National Rugby League grand-final today between Marist Saints and Saleimoa Steelers at the Marist sport field in Lotopa.

“I’m looking forward to watching the grand-final between these two teams that I’ve heard a lot about,” Ackland said.

Yesterday, the team marched through town before stopping at the Government building where the Prime Minister Tuilaepa Lupesolia’i Sa’ilele Malielegaoi greeted and encouraged the players to be brave.

“You must play accordingly to your name, ‘Toa,’ a brave Samoan warrior who is not afraid of anything,” he said.
“You must run and tackle without fear.”
Toa Samoa World Cup squad:
George Carmont (Wigan), Dave Faiumu (Huddersfield), Harrison Hansen (Wigan), Ali Lauitiiti (Leeds), Taualagi Lepupa (Marist Saints), Kylie Leulua’i (Leeds), Wayne Mcdade (Auckland Vulcans), Francis Meli (St. Helens), Joseph Paulo (Penrith Panthers), Frank Puletua (Penrith Panthers), Tony Puletua (Penrtih Panthers), Ben Roberts, Tangi Ropati (East Brisbane), Smith Samau (Gold Coast Titans), Lagi Setu (St. George), Terence Seuseu (Cronulla Sharks), David Solomona (Bradford), Willie Talau (St. Helens), Albert Talipeau, Misi Taulapapa (Cronulla Sharks), Ben Te’o (West Tigers), Matt Utai (Canterbury Bulldogs), Tupu Ulufale (Marist Saints), Nigel Vagana (South Rabbitohs).

http://www.samoaobserver.ws/sports/SPNews/1008/1808sp001.htm

roopy

Referee
It's great that Fiji and Samoa have gone back to the Islands for camps before the cup.
Hopefully they are training with lots of locals and passing on some pro knowledge to the young guys.

Pesamino

Juniors
Samoan saviour says team set to impress

AARON LAWTON - Sunday News | Sunday, 19 October 2008

A WEEK out from the World Cup, Samoan saviour Nigel Vagana has revealed his side are determined to cause a few upsets.

The Samoan squad packed full of former Kiwis stars and other young NRL talents flew into Samoa on Friday to a rousing reception from the locals.
They will spend a week on the island before returning to Australia to prepare for their opening hit-out against Tonga on October 31.
Long-serving Kiwis legend Vagana will captain the side and says rivals would be unwise to write off the Samoans.
"People in New Zealand will know only too well what the Islander boys are capable of," Vagana told Sunday News.
"We're sometimes pretty unpredictable and this side will be no different.
"At the end of the day, we are going to Australia to win the World Cup.
"We're extremely proud of the team we've assembled.
"The boys are really excited and they are ready to show the world that the Islands are producing some pretty good players."
As far as commitment goes, Vagana says the current crop of Samoan players are as dedicated as it gets in rugby league.
"We've had a Sydney crew who have been training together over here for the last four weeks or so," he said.
"Most of the boys, once the season finished, took a week off and then got stuck straight into it.
"The Bulldogs have given us the use of their facilities.
"The feeling among the boys right now is fantastic.
"We don't have to train together but we've been doing it out of choice.
"The team spirit and commitment already shown by the boys is an indication of the standard of football we want to play at this World Cup."
The decision to train for a week in Samoa, according to Vagana, was to give the players in the squad a chance to go back to their roots.
"It (going to Samoa) was a big factor for us and also a major drawcard for some of the boys who wanted to play for Samoa," he said.
"A lot of guys have had long international careers but have never had the opportunity to go to the Islands and represent their roots.
"We really wanted the boys to understand who they are representing, which is why we decided to spend a week in Samoa.
"The support has been fantastic and this trip will really benefit the boys as much as it will the country of Samoa.
"Hopefully, having experienced the culture in Samoa and seen the people they are playing for, the boys will approach the World Cup with a bit more passion."
The only blight on the upcoming tournament has been the controversy surrounding the farcical eligibility rules.
Arch-rivals Tonga, in particular, have been frustrated with international league bosses after former Kiwis Fuifui Moimoi and Taniela Tuiaki were denied the right to switch their allegiance.
But Vagana has little sympathy.
"The eligibility stuff has been an issue for a little while now," he said.
"But, at the end of the day, the international board has made a decision.
"The World Cup starts in a week so it's pretty late to be making big changes now.
"Unfortunate as it is for Fuifui and Taniela not to be playing, the rules are pretty clear.
"They made their choice last year to play for New Zealand. I know the Tongans are frustrated that they were knocked back but the rules are there for a reason.
"Maybe after the World Cup they will be able to switch back to Tonga and help their country become an international force."
Which team are you looking forward to seeing the most in the World Cup?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sundaynews/4731929a15599.html

Pesamino

Juniors
Retirement plans on hold

LEAGUE legend Nigel Vagana has left the door open on possible retirement plans at the end of the World Cup.
The long-time Kiwis star will spearhead a strong Samoan contingent at the showpiece event which gets underway next weekend.
On the NRL front, his glittering career came to a spluttering end earlier in the year when the Rabbitohs decided not to extend his contract.
He has been linked with several European rugby union clubs but says he's not focusing too much on his future.
"It's been a funny year for me I guess and it's definitely going to be nice to play a bit of footy," said Vagana, who only managed seven appearances for South Sydney this year.
"With all the stuff I've been doing for the Samoan team, I pretty much haven't had time to sit back and think about what went on this year.
"Maybe at the end of the World Cup, I'm going to have to sit down and think about how things panned out.
"As of now, though, I've just been flat out with the Samoan stuff. It's been crazy."
Vagana says he is yet to decide whether to pull the pin on his career after the World Cup.
"The build-up to the World Cup has been crazy so I haven't really had any time to sort out my own situation," he said. "My wife is also giving birth in a couple of weeks. My focus has been on other things.
"At this stage, I will get through the cup and work out what I'm going to do after that.
"This could well be my last hit-out and if it is, well, I've had a good run."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sundaynews/4731934a15599.html

I hope Samoa make it a good World Cup if this is Nigel's last outing.

flamin

Juniors
The only blight on the upcoming tournament has been the controversy surrounding the farcical eligibility rules.
Arch-rivals Tonga, in particular, have been frustrated with international league bosses after former Kiwis Fuifui Moimoi and Taniela Tuiaki were denied the right to switch their allegiance.

I don't get why the media keep referring to the example of Moimoi and Tuiaka in claiming the eligibility rules are a farce. Wouldn't it be more of a farce if they were allowed to switch this late?

fobsta

Juniors
Toa Samoa gets $200,000 and tapuaiga blessings

Faasavalu Europa Rose
1019Raring_to.jpg

Raring to go...The Toa Samoa 2008 World Cup squad.

1019PM_Tuilaepa.jpg

PM Tuilaepa Lupesoli'ai Sa'ilele Malielegaoi and Peter Paul.

Toa Samoa has received a massive financial boost ahead of the Rugby League World Cup, in Australia.

On Friday night during a corporate dinner to farewell the team, the Government donated $200,000 to help coach John Ackland and his troops to bring the cup home.

Prime Minister and Patron of the Samoa Rugby League, Tuilaepa Lupesolia’i Sa’ilele Malielegaoi made the presentation.

During his brief hand-over speech, he thanked members of the star-studded Toa Samoa for having a heart to return and represent their country.

“There is no secret that most of these players are very famous in the countries they are playing professional rugby league in,” Tuilaepa said.

“But you have decided to return to play for Samoa because you have pride in your country. Malo le loto nu’u and we wish you all the best.”

Rugby League Samoa President Peter Paul (Jr) thanked the Government for their support.

“All I can say is that all these players are very passionate about representing Samoa and they’re all looking forward to doing their best for our country,” he said.

Coach Ackland has named a strong 24 man squad which boasts players from Australia’s National Rugby League (NRL) competition, Super League in Europe and other top competitions in the world.

Samoa’s first match is set for the 31st against Tonga.

Leading the boys in blue is none other than Nigel Vagana, who will be playing his last world cup before retiring.

http://www.samoaobserver.ws/local/LNPages/1008/1908ln006.htm

screeny

Bench
I don't get why the media keep referring to the example of Moimoi and Tuiaka in claiming the eligibility rules are a farce. Wouldn't it be more of a farce if they were allowed to switch this late?
Exactly, Damned if you do, damned if you don't......

And in Chris Rattue's latest article in the NZHerald he rips the sarcasm out of the number of countries able to watch the tournament, as though it's a bad thing!

Jesus wept....what an agenda!

roopy

Referee
200k is a nice chunk of change - but why now?
They needed it 6 months ago - and they will need it again next year to start developing the side for the next WC, but i can't see why they need it now.

Pesamino

Juniors
200k is a nice chunk of change - but why now?
They needed it 6 months ago - and they will need it again next year to start developing the side for the next WC, but i can't see why they need it now.
I think this is the money fundraised over the past few months. So this is probably the public's money.

roopy

Referee
I think this is the money fundraised over the past few months. So this is probably the public's money.
Well i hope it's used to set up something like the Fiji program where lot's of local players get experience and opportunities.

hutch

First Grade
samoa seem to be making all the right moves, which is surprising because during the qualifiers it was tonga who were doing their best to promote the game in tonga, with samoa doing nothing. the move to train in samoa is a great one in raising awareness for rugby league and the world cup in samoa. the "tongans" have basically ignored tonga from what i can gather.

Latest posts