What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toa Samoa - World Cup Build-Up

Pesamino

Juniors
Toa_Power5.jpg
Toa_Power6.jpg
Toa_Power7.jpg
Toa_Power8.jpg

fobsta

Juniors
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sharks winger “overwhelmed” with Toa selection[/FONT]
Fasavalu Europa Rose
1021Misi_Taulapapa.jpg

Misi Taulapapa proud to represent the boys in blue in this year’s world cup.
Cronulla Sharks winger Misi Tauilapapa is ecstatic to be playing for the Toa Samoa in the world cup, “I’m just overwhelmed, very excited to play for the country that I have chosen,” he told the Observer Sports yesterday.

“I’m just real proud to play for the country that my mum and dad came from.”

The 25 year old can trace his roots to the villages of Saleimoa and Falelatai on the west side of Upolu.

He has fond memories growing up in Samoa as a young boy.

“I was born in New Zealand, but when I was young I was raised over here (Samoa), by my grandparents until I was four,” he explained.

“But when I was old enough to go to school I went back to New Zealand.”

The speedster can play fullback and wing, but prefers the wing,.

“I’m a winger, and probably back-up fullback when there is injury,” he said.

He played rugby union growing up having represented Kelston Boys High in New Zealand.

He switched codes from rugby union to league in 2004.

“I’ve been playing league for five years now, but I’ve played rugby for most of my life.”

“And it’s good for me that I switched codes now.”

He was picked for the New Zealand Warriors in 2004.

In 2007, he moved to Australia where he currently plays for Cronulla Sharks in the National Rugby League competition.

http://www.samoaobserver.ws/sports/SPNews/1008/2108sp002.htm

fobsta

Juniors
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ali still got Game[/FONT]
Fasavalu Europa Rose
1021Toa_Samoa_second.jpg

Toa Samoa second-rower Ali-Lauitiiti going through his paces yesterday morning at the Apia Park stadium.
Photo: Fasavalu Europa Rose.
The try scoring machine Ali Lauitiiti is considered one of the best second-rowers in rugby league.

The former Auckland Warriors and now Leeds Rhinos' star is no stranger to the game.

His freaky offloads and his ability to break the defensive line should help Samoa do well.

He also has the ability to read the game.

In Apia this week with the team, Lauitiiti has been instrumental in getting the players to work together as a team.

He is considered one of the senior players.

At the age of 29, Lauitiiti told the Observer Sports there was still plenty of game left in him.

“Pretty much, I’m only 29 so hopefully I can have a couple more years to go in the game,” he said.

Lauitiiti standing at 1.88m was born in Auckland New Zealand, but is proud of his Samoan heritage.

His parents hail from the village of Iva on the big Island of Savai’i.

“It’s always a privilege and an honour to put on the Toa jersey,” he said.

“Especially for the country where our parents came from, because without this country, it wouldn’t be possible for us to play rugby league.”

He has been known to score vital tries, in times when it is needed the most for his team to win, when all hope is lost he is the spark.

The Rhinos’ second-rower has represented New Zealand Kiwis from 2000-2006, before deciding to play for Samoa last year during Toa’s repechage matches against Lebanon and the USA Tomahawks.

Lauitiiti is expecting their first match against Tonga to be tough but he said he has confidence in his team to do the job.

"We're prepared to give it our best," said the former Otahuhu College student.

http://www.samoaobserver.ws/sports/SPNews/1008/2108sp001.htm

fobsta

Juniors
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All the best Toa and Fetu o Samoa![/FONT]​
Mata’afa Keni Lesa
This much is true. On paper, the Toa Samoa team for the upcoming Rugby League World Cup in Australia will give some of the top teams in the world a real good run for their money.

If all goes according to plan during the pool stages, they should make the playoffs.
From there, anything could happen.

But at this point, let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves by predicting things we might later regret.

Suffice to say, this is arguably the strongest Toa Samoa team this country has fielded for a World Cup. Packed with a number of international stars, this side has the potential to achieve something great.

It’s difficult not to get excited about it.
STARS
In Samoa today, it is fair to say that the presence of so many international stars in the country is creating a lot of excitement and anxiety.

Names like Nigel Vagana, the Puletua brothers, Ali Lauitiiti, Matt Utai, Francis Meli, Willie Talau, Tangi Ropati and David Solomona are stars in their own right.

We also have guys like George Carmont, Lagi Setu, Misi Taulapapa, Harrison Hansen, Wade McCade, Ben Roberts, Smith Samau and Ben Te’o, all international stars of the game.

These Toa o Samoa play professional rugby league for top sides in the Australian National Rugby League (NRL) and in the Super League competition in the United Kingdom.
They are a class act.

How the Samoa Rugby League Association managed to organise for all of them to come together in Apia this week, ahead of the tournament, is something that should be applauded.

The team’s presence in the country this week has won them the hearts of members of this community.

When the tournament starts, there is no doubt that the 180,000 people of this country, and thousands more around the world, will be 150 percent behind you.
HUMBLING
For people fortunate enough to attend the official send-off dinner last Friday evening, at Tuana’imato, they will remember the night when they were served by their rugby league idols. It was a humbling experience to have players of that caliber serve drinks and food.

Normally, you’d expect them to be served first.
But that night, they didn’t.

Some of them were probably tired having just arrived in the country that afternoon, but they didn’t show it. With smiles on their faces, they served throughout the night and were even the last ones to eat.

In this country, there is a famous saying that “o le ala i le pule o le tautua.”(The way to the top is to serve)

This probably will not apply to how the team plays on the field. However, if that gesture was a reflection of the true spirit within this Toa Samoa team, we have reason to be optimistic.

Time will tell just how good this Toa Samoa side is. When they take on Tonga in their opening game, we will see.
WELCOME
Meanwhile, we take this opportunity to welcome all members of the team to Samoa. We extend a warm welcome to coach John Ackland, and members of his coaching staff, Willie Poching, Apollo Perelini and Lauaki Fereti Tuilagi.

Let’s not forget the Fetu o Samoa women’s rugby league team. While little is known about members of this team, we are confident that the team is going to Australia to do their very best for Samoa.

We wish the Toa and Fetu o Samoa all the best. Go with God and always remember that the tapuaiga a Samoa will be behind you all the way.
O outou mama na!

http://www.samoaobserver.ws/opinions/OPPages/1008/2108op001.htm

ali

Bench
I hope Samoa do well. A good campaign could be the springboard for years of solid development on the island. The lineup is fantastic. Many long forgotten in Australia, but some of the highest paid players in the UK. My only worry is a lack of match fitness against Tonga. If they can get through that game, then I'm expecting big things from Samoa.

roopy

Referee
I honestly don't think they have named their top possible side, but that is also a very positive thing for their future.
Right now we could go close to naming another Samoa side of NRL and ESL players, some better than the ones selected, and by the next WC they will have maybe 50 firtgraders to pick from.
IMO all they need is a topline coach and some regular games and they are a firstline nation, joining the big three.

fobsta

Juniors
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Puletua representing his motherland[/FONT]
Fasavalu Europa Rose
1022Frank_Puletua.jpg

Frank Puletua.
Penrith Panthers second-rower Frank Puletua is proud to be playing for Toa Samoa.

“I’m proud to represent my country, especially my family,” he said after their weight training at the HPU gym, yesterday.

He knows he will be representing more than the blue-jersey, he will be representing the pride of his parents.

“I really wanted to represent the country that my mum and dad came from, just because of everything that they have done for me and my brother (Tony).

“And now we see the pride of our people here, how tough it is we understand where our mum and dad come from and it’s very humbling for me and my brother to come back and try to do them proud.”

Puletua considers this year’s world cup to be the last time to play alongside his brother.

“It’s probably the last time we play together in a team, we’re just going to enjoy it,” he said.

“But we are very privileged and honoured to play with him throughout my career, not a lot of brothers get to play together, we are very happy and we have been blessed by God.”

Frank 39 is older than his brother Tony 29 both play for the National Rugby League club Penrith Panthers.

This year the two brothers from Afega and Falelatai will combines forces for the Toa Samoa’s world cup campaign.

The Toa yesterday has their training session at the HPU gym, and will have one final training session at the Apia Park before they depart for the Australia tomorrow, 11am.

The public are invited to visit the boys during their training session.

Samoa’s first world cup match is against island arch-rival Tonga on October 31 at Penrith.

http://www.samoaobserver.ws/sports/SPNews/1008/2208sp002.htm

fobsta

Juniors
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Perelini: Boys looking sharp, no injuries[/FONT]
Fasavalu Europa Rose
1022Toa_Samoat.jpg

Toa Samoa World Cup -strength and conditioning trainer Apollo Perelini during the team’s training session at Apia Park. Photo: Fasavalu Europa Rose

10222008_Rugby.jpg

2008 Rugby League World Cup Challenge.....Captains of the 10 nations that will be vying for the RLWC including Toa Samoa captain Nigel Vagana during a photo shoot yesterday. The first match between the Kiwis and Aussies is set to kick-off this Saturday, Samoa have Tonga on their plate first on Oct 31. (Photo: ARL)
Good news for Toa Samoa.
The team is injury-free ahead of the World Cup in Australia next week, trainer Apollo Perelini confirmed.

The team, he said, is starting to get into a rhythm that will make them a force to be reckoned with next week. And they are keen.

“We just had our first full session today,” Perelini told Observer Sports. “They are just getting used to each other through combination and communication on the field and also what position they will be running in.

“Some of the players don’t play in position that we are putting them in, but they are getting used to it.”

The Toa Samoa has been training since Monday at Apia Park Stadium.

The public are invited to meet the stars who ordinarily can only be seen in newspapers and on TV.

Having the best players in the business play for the Toa says Perelini is a big honour for Samoa. He said the public should get behind them.

“People got to realise that we got some of the best rugby league players in the world, and these guys (Toa Samoa) are held in high regards all over the rugby league world.

“That was the whole reason why we wanted to bring the team here, to put faces to the names of some of these famous players from Australia, New Zealand and Great Britain.

“And it helps the Samoan people to see that these kids, although not born in Samoa, have come here to experience the life in Samoa, and they can go away with the pride to play for the blue jersey.”

According to Perelini the 2008 Toa Samoa squad “is our best” and will carry Samoa’s name to the world cup.

“They are going to play with pride. They have seen the people, the country and that will let them know who they are playing for,” said Perelini.

Standard improving
Perelini last week witnessed the SamoaTel National Rugby League grand-final match between Marist Saints and Saleimoa Steelers and said “there was a huge improvement in the standard that the game was played,” he said.

“We were very impressed with the standard that’s being developed here in Samoa, and it’s encouraging there are a lot of good players in Samoa.

“I think the more we encourage coaches to come here and coach the more the players will learn and understand about the game.

“Plus the players that [have] been involved with the Toa Samoa will pass on that knowledge.”
This, he said, will be great for both rugby codes in Samoa.

http://www.samoaobserver.ws/sports/SPNews/1008/2208sp001.htm

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
How short is the Scottish captain!

And screeny, Meli was one of my fave players 1999-2005 and he definitely never smiles

screeny

Bench
How short is the Scottish captain!

And screeny, Meli was one of my fave players 1999-2005 and he definitely never smiles

I agree re Meli. It's weird.

As for the Scottish skipper, Brough, he may be short but he's one of the most skilful players you'll see in this comp. In fact Sunday's match will be special just to see two silky smooth halves in action, brough and Max.

fobsta

Juniors
Not the finished product yet Friday, 24 October 2008 14:19
1024Toa_Samoa.jpg
Toa Samoa Assistant Coach Willie Po Ching in action. Photo: Fasavalu Europa Rose

Toa Samoa Assistant Coach Willie Po Ching told the Observer Sports, “we’re far from the finished product, and we don’t want to be the finished product yet,” he said.
But Po Ching is confident Samoa will become the finished product before their first World Cup match against Tonga on Thursday.

“By the time we get to Thursday night, the eve of the first game against Tonga, ... we will want to be firing on all cylinders.”

“But at the moment we are probably ahead of the programme we scheduled for them before we came into camp, but come crunch time we’re going to be more than ready to play the game.”

The World Cup says Po Ching is the chance for Samoa to be recognised as a rugby league nation, even though the game rarely gets the chance to be played in Samoa.

“It’s another opportunity for us to promote ourselves, our people, our game and show how perfectly designed this game is to the Samoan people,” he said.

“These players are proud to carry Samoa’s name around the world, they are proud ambassadors of our people.”

Samoa’s first line-up for Tonga will be named sometime next week.
“We got a couple of training sessions next week in Sydney than we will probably figure out the starting line-up,” said Po Ching.

Selecting the first team however won’t be easy he said.

“There is a lot of competition for places.”
“By the time we get to Thursday night, the eve of the first game against Tonga ... we will want to be firing on all cylinders.”

“There’s a lot of people obviously who on past experience, and on recent performances will be willingly to put themselves on the front line from starting position.”

“But everybody else in the camp is putting their front foot forward and they’ve really tried hard to give themselves a starting spot.”

“So thats a healthy position for us as a coaching staff, and it’s a high position to be in, and it’s one every coach wants to have.”

“But for them to come back into an environment like this, come back home to be part of this camp it has done a massive wonder for our group as a team and as people.”

Po Ching is not a stranger to the World Cup, “I’m proud of who I am, I played in two world cups for Samoa in 95 and 2000.”

Po Ching has been the Toa’s Assictant Coach for the past two years, an organisation (Toa Samoa) he says, is “ very dear to my heart.”

“My dad was one of the people, who founded Samoa Rugby Legue, and I feel an obligation to give back to Samoa, and I do it with pride and honour.”

http://www.samoaobserver.ws/index.p...inished-product-yet&catid=34:sports&Itemid=54

fobsta

Juniors
Meli: Beware of tough Tongan collision Thursday, 23 October 2008 13:12
1023toa_samoa1.jpg
Former New Zealand Warriors top try scoring winger, and Toa Samoa World Cup star, Francis Meli, is aware of the physical confrontation they’ll get from the Tongans.

Samoa will collide with their Tongan arch-rivals first up at the World Cup on 31 October in Penrith.

“Tonga will be a tough game,” Meli told Observer Sports, “especially because the two islands have a lot of history together, and it’s going to be a big battle.

“They’ve got some good players and we will be up for it. It’s definitely going to be physical but you can’t play rugby without it.

“The Tongans proved that with their game against the Kiwis.”

Ready and raring to go, the winger is one of the few Toa Samoa players to be born and raised in Samoa before his rugby league career kicked-off.

The 29-year-old star has roots in Vailima and Salelologa.
Meli recalls one time playing for the Marist sevens team: “I came back in 1997 and I played sevens here at Apia Park for Marist.

“It’s good to be back...” Meli said, “to come back now and play for my homeland is an honour.”

Meli is currently contracted to the Great Britain Super League club St. Helens who fell short of claiming this year’s grand-final over Leeds Rhinos.

The Toa Samoa world cup squad held their final training session yesterday at Apia Park Stadium and are scheduled to fly to Australia today, 11AM.

http://www.samoaobserver.ws/index.p...tongan-collision&option=com_content&Itemid=54

Latest posts