What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Carney caught Drink Driving!!

The 18th Man

Juniors
Exactly :lol:

That said, if SouthernRooster is a reliable "source", the damage was obviously done after dinner and he has woke up, though he was good to go and errored in judgement. No excuse though. For a guy who has all but used up his nine lives, Carney has to accept responsibility for his actions and yet again he comes looking the petulant, "troubled" superstar who has called on Mummy.

I'd love to be as "troubled" as our NRL stars today.

apex

Juniors
Saw Carney and a bunch of other roosters players buying booze from the bottle shop and having plenty of drinks at the pub in Coogee on Friday night. Not causing any trouble what so ever but clearly putting themselves in a slightly risky situation. Carney may be a great footy player but he really cant be to bright.

no name

Coach
He was having a few quiet drinks in a restaurant the night before and he actually got a cab home. We were at the next table to him and his group. Obviously assumed early next morning it be out his system and it wasn't. He was not smashed or being an idiot at the restaurant either. Was like any other young bloke with friends having dinner. He made the right choice to cab it home but the wrong one to drive the next morning. I was surprised to see him having a drink however. Had he not been on P's he would not have been charged. Over by that amount would have meant byu the time it came for the blood sample he'd be under.

So you followed him in the cab and tucked him into bed did you? That cab could have been going anywhere.
As for not being charged IF he wasn't on his Ps, guess what? He IS!
IF I was a better footy player, I'd be playing NRL

Last edited:

Raider_69

Post Whore
:lol: @ southern rooster

a few drinks at dinner... classic, next we'll be told he was driving to his gf's house to stop her self harming :lol:

anymore straws to clutch rooster fans?

The 18th Man

Juniors
What was Carney doing going to a meeting with this Manager at 7am ??...

415857-ricky-nixon.jpg

Oh wait...

Spanner in the works

First Grade
Todd Carney says he wanted to quit the NRL in the moments after he was charged with drink-driving
By James Phelps The Sunday Telegraph February 27, 2011 9:19AM

Sydney Roosters' Dally M medallist Todd Carney wanted to quit the NRL in the moments after he was charged with drink-driving.

The Roosters star broke down in tears after his arrest and only a series of crisis talks with his manager, mother and Sydney Roosters officials stopped him from walking away from rugby league.

"When something like that happens it just feels too hard," an emotional Todd Carney said.

"I knew I had let the club down and the thought of quitting crossed my mind.

"I was filthy with myself and upset and didn't know if I could go on."

Carney's world came crashing down at 7am on Saturday when he was pulled over at Coogee for a random breath test. He had been at a function drinking with injured teammates on Friday night.

"I was on my way to a breakfast with my finance guy just to go over a couple of things," Carney said.

"I just got up, showered and did all the things I normally do and got in the car and left. On the way there, on Coogee Bay Rd, the police pulled me over.

"I had no idea I was over the limit and was more worried whether or not I had my P plates on."

Carney blew 0.052 and was taken to Maroubra Police station, where he was charged by low-range drink driving.

A shattered Carney called his manager David Riolo and told him he wanted to quit the game.

"I just lost my stomach when he said I had to go down the station," the NRL star said.

"I couldn't believe it. I was shattered and I knew I had lost a lot of respect from people. I thought about it (quitting) but that would have been the easy option, to walk away."

Carney was rushed into a series of meetings, first with Riolo and then Roosters coach Brian Smith. They convinced him to front up to his mistake.

"He (Carney) told me he wanted to retire," Carney's manager David Riolo confirmed. "He was filthy on himself for letting people down and upset with what he had done.

"It all seemed too much, but then he put it all into perspective. At the end of the day, he knows he has made a mistake but is ready to make up for it."

Carney was sacked by Canberra in 2008 for a series of alcohol related indiscretions, including a drink-driving charge.

He stayed clear of alcohol last year during his breakthrough season, but reportedly fell off the wagon during the Four Nations campaign with the Kangaroos team.

After a heart-to-heart with his mother, Carney has once again vowed to stay clear of the booze.

"I spoke to Mum and she said all my problems come from that," he said. "She pointed out what a good year I had when I wasn't drinking and told me to keep off it. This is the wake-up call I needed."

With his reputation once again in tatters, Carney has pleaded with fans to forgive him for his latest slip-up.

He stressed that the drink-driving charge would be a one-off incident.

"This isn't fun for anyone," Carney said. "I know I have done the wrong thing and I hope people can forgive me.

"I hope they realise I made a mistake."

Punish him, let him make up for it and get square with the house and move on. f he was so cut up about it he wanted to quit the game then it is quite obvious to me he has turned the corner and was just unlucky. I'll be the first to put my hand up and say I overreacted.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Punish him, let him make up for it and get square with the house and move on. f he was so cut up about it he wanted to quit the game then it is quite obvious to me he has turned the corner and was just unlucky. I'll be the first to put my hand up and say I overreacted.
He was cut up that he was caught more like it. Or maybe he was cut up because he didn't have a mate to leave behind and take th wrap this time so he couldn't make a runner.

Unlucky? Unlucky is when you are innocently driving along the street and get smashed into by a drunk driver (ie, TODD CARNEY).

Walt Flanigan

Referee
In all honesty we heard the same crap from Carney every time he stuffed up in Canberra. Almost word for word.

The fact he thinks playing good football will make up for it shows that he, still, misses the point.

Canard

Immortal
That article is an IMMEDIATE attempt to get public sympathy (Oh No Todd Dont leave!!), so much so infact Id guess it is a tactic cooked up by some PR/Manager.

CMUX

Four weeks please, Mr Gallop.

Kind regards,

Disgruntled Sea Eagles fan

You should send an email. While you are at it ask Gallop what the punishment will be for that grub Watmough who endangered lives by purposely exceeding the speed limit by 50kmh

The Watmough story barely got a mention on Fox Sports news but yesterday morning at 10AM there were yellow news flashes about Carney and it was all over the news. At about 2PM when they found out he was 0.052 the story didn’t seem to hold as much appeal to them…. I wonder why.
How many more chances does this idiot get? He wasn't just over the limit, he was on his p's. Anyone else recording over .05 on p's gets crucified.

Is this his 5th or 6th off field incident now?

Umm no, they get the exact same punishment Todd will get.

as for this offence, his limit is 0, he was well over that limit, it was hardly low range, especially for a guy with form.

the bloke just doesnt learn, however i dont suspect anything will be done about it, he plays for the big sydney club now... politis will have already sorted this out on the back end, now all thats needed is the public slap on the wrist and we'll all move on and await his next incident.

Oh so your definition of low range is more accurate than the police. Stop embarrassing yourself you fool.

The reason why P platers have a 0 limit is to discourage them from “having 1 or 2 drinks” and then driving because invariably they have more drinks and drive pissed. It has nothing to do with being less able to drive at say 0.03 than a full licensed driver.

In this case Carney had drinks the night before (whether it was 5, 10, 15, 20, 100) nobody knows and come 7AM he thought he was under the limit. Yes that makes him ignorant and stupid but it is 1 million times better than driving immediately after drinking i.e. home from the pub.

He was cut up that he was caught more like it. Or maybe he was cut up because he didn't have a mate to leave behind and take th wrap this time so he couldn't make a runner.

Unlucky? Unlucky is when you are innocently driving along the street and get smashed into by a drunk driver (ie, TODD CARNEY).

Or David Shillington

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/shillington-guilty-of-drink-driving/story-e6frg7mf-1225844485428

Why wasn’t David Shillington hung out to dry? Carney was 0.052 over HIS legal limit or 0.02 over the general legal limit. Shillington was 0.065 over the legal limit. Why didn’t the Raiders sack him after all he COULD of killed someone.

http://www.leagueunlimited7.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18916

While we are it what about Michael Picker who was 4 times over the limit AND crashed his car. Why didn’t the embodiment of good ethics (the Raiders) sack him?

It’s called perspective.

Last edited:

Spanner in the works

First Grade

So what do you want from him then? He's got a problem which has caused him, his family, his club and his friends problems. He wants to stay on track. He's not at your club. So why are you whinging?

Apey

Staff member
That article is an IMMEDIATE attempt to get public sympathy (Oh No Todd Dont leave!!), so much so infact Id guess it is a tactic cooked up by some PR/Manager.

lol ya, and some people lapped it up.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
So what do you want from him then?
What do I want from him? How abut keeping out of the papers every 5 minutes telling us how he's reformed and that he won't make any more mistakes.

He's got a problem which has caused him, his family, his club and his friends problems. He wants to stay on track.He's not at your club. So why are you whinging?
He's got a problem. poor baby. He's 26 years of age for God's sake. Time to man up little Toddy. Here's a tip for staying on track - get off the booze dickhead.

He's not at your club. So why are you whinging?
Thank f**k the grub's not at our club. the best thing our club did was to sack his sorry arse. We suffered for it in the short term but it was worth it.

Latest posts