What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Carney sets Mans Pants on Fire

Loudstrat

Coach
You present this thread with irony, Kiki. I bet you have set a few blokes pants on fire in your time - doubt if they went to hospital after it though!

El Diablo

Post Whore
ok, so why would Ch 7 care if the Roosters get sponsors or not? Care to elaborate on your theory?

to please the AFL. just like they did in the past with Soccer http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/warring-partners-on-the-brink/2005/12/16/1134703612029.html?page=2

If News Ltd is perceived to have acted dishonourably in purchasing pay-TV rights for sport, so has C7.

An email from C7 executive Steve Wise, cited in the Federal Court, makes it clear the network bought the rights to football only to bury it, to please the AFL.

The November 2000 email, written when Channel Seven still had the AFL rights, lamented the AFL's lack of gratitude, saying: "There is no credit that we have secured the soccer rights and sufficated [sic] the sport, much to the chagrin of its supporters."

Football Federation Australia chief executive John O'Neill, asked to comment on the email, said: "Clearly FFA has moved on to a different era after having hit the depths of despair and having its fortunes resurrected by the Federal Government, via Australian Sports Commission funding.

"But in the light of this email, where, at the time Soccer Australia chairman David Hill trumpeted the Channel Seven-C7 deal as an absolute lifeline for mass entertainment soccer, to read it was a ruse whereby, if the email is interpreted literally, it appears their intention was to bury soccer rather than to promote it.

"And the objective of this was to gain favour with the AFL.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/carney-gets-bums-rush/story-e6frfgh6-1225817131041

Carney gets bum's rush

* By Andrew Webster
* January 08, 2010 12:00AM

THE melodic thwack of leather on willow might consume our thoughts in these warmer months, but rugby league's shadow is never far away.

The predicament of reformed Roosters bad boy Todd Carney allegedly involved in the burning of a man's "buttocks, scrotum and upper thighs" has set the bar as high as the Burj Dubai tower for bizarre off-field indiscretions, merely days into the new decade.

Channel 7 ran wild with this story and they told us a man suffered the burns early on New Year's Day while on holiday at Airlie Beach. And serial villain Carney had allegedly lit the fuse.

An unidentified witness named "Jenny" saw the man running from the Peninsula Resort desperately trying to locate an ambulance.

"He had no bum cheek left," she exclaimed. "It was just all burned off."

Oh, and the victim appeared to have his eyebrows shaved off.

Gauging by the tone in reporter Robert Ovadia's voice, it was all very serious. Either that or he was doing his piece to camera from outside the White House.

The word out of Rooster Land is that this is nothing more than New Year's high jinks gone awry and the victim is only concerned about his scorched nether regions. Carney was in Airlie with a handful of mates for four days, presumably because he's banned from his home town of Goulburn after one grog-fuelled mistake too many.

Now this may surprise some readers but the shaving of a male friend's eyebrows - usually while he sleeps - is a time-honoured ploy on such road trips.

The lighting of his buttocks and scrotum, however, is a risky, old-school party manoeuvre that requires the co-operation of the owner of the buttocks and scrotum and his consumption of a late-night kebab laden with too much chilli sauce. It's all fun and games until someone is shooting off flames like a drag car at Eastern Creek at 300km/h.

The Roosters wouldn't see the humorous side of this given their new pledge of a "New Attitude, New Beginning". After a year in the wilderness, Carney's lifeline came with several behavioural clauses, but one of those stipulations wasn't an absolute alcohol ban. He just isn't allowed to drink excessively.

When the club decides his punishment - if any - next week, they are bound to highlight in no uncertain terms that no matter how minor the misdemeanour, it will always be amplified by a thousand because of who he is.

That's as far as it should go. If it is a sin to shave the eyebrows off a close friend before setting their arse on fire in the name of New Year's hilarity, then we should all give it away and become priests.

El Diablo

Post Whore
excellent article

An unidentified witness named "Jenny" saw the man running from the Peninsula Resort desperately trying to locate an ambulance.

"He had no bum cheek left," she exclaimed. "It was just all burned off."

Oh, and the victim appeared to have his eyebrows shaved off.

Gauging by the tone in reporter Robert Ovadia's voice, it was all very serious. Either that or he was doing his piece to camera from outside the White House.

you can bet London to a brick 7's witness has probably never even been to Queensland. and that Ovadia merkin should've been drowned at birth

maybe he was off his dial on drugs like most of the 7 employees you read about in the news

m0nty

Juniors
I wonder how many buttocks Andrew Webster has set alight in his time. He sounds intimately familiar with the process.

LRC

BlueScope Lysaght and Canterbury back in 2004 after the Coffs Harbour incident.

Whose guitar is that in your avatar LRC? What make is it?

Sure...Im not talking about which sponsors have walked away but why would they.

Do they think that people will not buy their product if the team they sposrs has an off field incident?

The reason given is rubbish...noone has ever not bought a product because of an off field incident with a rugby league player.

The guitar belongs to george Lynch...legendary 80s rock guitar player with Dokken and the Lynch Mob...still going today. I cant remember who makes it...some guy in vegas I think...there is only a couple and Lynch has them all I beleive. Good rock/metal player.

badav

Bench
Todd Carney has the IQ of a rock. This is well known

I just find it funny more than anything that the Roosters signed him. A club with a recent history of poor recruiting and off field problems, claiming they are trying to turn things around. :lol:

El Diablo

Post Whore

I just find it funny more than anything that the Roosters signed him. A club with a recent history of poor recruiting and off field problems, claiming they are trying to turn things around. :lol:

yet you'll be doing cartwheels if Tim Smith signs with Brisbane

El Diablo

Post Whore
Nobody likes us Kiki. Even a commercial network apparently.

it's fact

Woman accuses AFL star of rape. 17 articles http://news.google.com.au/news/stor...sCxhCV8GZjfolMoEOKk2vjoxTipM&cf=all&scoring=d

Carney sets mates pants on fire in prank gone wrong. 91 articles http://news.google.com.au/news/stor...gk85-WgZPLjvlMjAsO3Zo5zu_WgM&cf=all&scoring=d

i'm sure Kiki will tell us there's no media bias though and it's just a conspiracy theory to think there is

Green Machine

First Grade
I wonder how many buttocks Andrew Webster has set alight in his time. He sounds intimately familiar with the process.
Probably quite a few. Andrew is Rugby Union old boy and would be quite familiar with “The Dance of the Flaming Arseholes”,

One word - Desperation...Which is displayed by Adam's posts in this thread.

I agree with this , The times i have had a chat to him after the game he didnt appear to be a smart man. Friendly though and willing to have a chat.

Latest posts