What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Carney & Steve Irwin under investigation?

Gene Krupa

Referee
Meh!

We have never won a premiership whilst being salary cap cheats.

Haha! Some of the Knights supporters? Pot - kettle - black!

tiger_nick

Bench
legend said:
It's funny how all the Knights fans are the ones screaming the loudest for Carney to be sacked but when Macdougall and O'Davis broke the rules, they were kept on by the club and some fringe first grader was given the arse.

If you want to talk about double standards Knights fans, look in your own backyard first. Your history of dealing with your own high profile players reeks of hypocrisy.

Canberra has a history of taking a hard line with players and one Ben Kennedy was punted by the club only to be signed by you guessed it, the Newcastle Knights.

If the Knights had Johns and Mullen still playing, you'd all be singing a different tune but because you have money to spend and need a five eighth, you are all up in arms of Carney's abhorrent behaviour.

Give me a f**king break please!!!!!!!!!!

ps, remember Carney owned Johns and Mullen earlier this year so I can understand why you would want him.

MacDougall and O'Davis were both suspended by the NRL. They served there time. Thats the difference. If they were sacked by Newcastle we all know Canberra would have signed them anyway.

Mal Meninga

Bench
tiger_nick said:
MacDougall and O'Davis were both suspended by the NRL. They served there time. Thats the difference. If they were sacked by Newcastle we all know Canberra would have signed them anyway.
:lol: :lol:

Weren't paying much attention to footy back then were you? Wouldn't blame you, the Tigers best finish in the 90's mustve been 2nd last.

jed

First Grade
tiger_nick said:
MacD's been available a few times since then, how many times have we signed him?

skeepe

Immortal
Raiders have duty to Carney: Raiders
Chris Wilson

Canberra Raiders chairman John McIntyre referred to the club yesterday as a "correctional facility" and said the Raiders had a responsibility to help wayward young star Todd Carney.
Carney will appear in the ACT Magistrates Court on Monday on charges of failing to stop when directed by police, negligent driving and driving while disqualified.

The Raiders have suspended the 20-year-old halfback and teammate Steve Irwin after they were allegedly involved in a police pursuit through the suburb of Bruce on Friday night. Police did not charge Irwin, who was allegedly a passenger in his own vehicle. The Canberra Times understands Carney will meet Raiders coach Neil Henry today, when Henry returns from State of Origin duties in Queensland. The Raiders board, management and Henry will also meet at the Mawson Club tomorrow morning.

Mr McIntyre said the extraordinary board meeting was called not to sack Carney, but to explore a detailed rehabilitation plan. Mr McIntyre said sacking Carney would be like rejecting a family member.

"As another [Raiders] director said to me, 'If one of your family gets in trouble you do your utmost for the family to get together and trade your way out of it'," Mr McIntyre said. "This gentleman said, 'Toddy is one of our family'."

Carney has two previous drink-driving convictions, the latest from December last year. He is still serving a two-year good-behaviour bond in NSW. Mr McIntyre said the Raiders had demonstrated an ability to reform players, referring to the club as a "correctional facility".

He added he said it tongue-in-cheek.

The Raiders have recruited three players in the past two seasons who have either been sacked by their previous NRL clubs or deregistered by the NRL. Former Cronulla Sharks prop Jason Williams served a jail sentence for assaulting a teammate, former Newcastle prop Dane Tilse served a 12-month NRL ban for a pre-season incident at a Bathurst University in 2005, and the Brisbane Broncos sacked Neville Costigan last year for a string of alcohol-related incidents.

Mr McIntyre, who chairs the Raiders' board of nine, said most members were supportive of helping Carney.

"I see the major issue [of tomorrow's meeting] is the organisation itself addressing the issue of full-time professionalism for our players and how we manage that."

Mr McIntyre said he would even seek a meeting with Sydney Swans management when the AFL club came to Canberra this weekend to play the Western Bulldogs.

Mr McIntyre said behavioral issues occured across all codes and it could be beneficial to form an alliance. "Certainly I'll make my best endeavours to have a chat and set up some sort of an exchange of idea arrangement with the management of the Swans. I think what we've got to do is address the issue of how we manage the off-field situation of our players. The Swans have got an exemplary record. We've been pretty good too in that history of full-time professionalism. This is probably the most difficult one we've had to deal with."

Mr McIntyre suggested part of Carney's rehabilitation plan might include extra charity work, "concentrating his free time".

Should the Raiders retain Carney, who is contracted until the end of 2008, Mr McIntyre denied it would be a sign of weakness. "There's no suggestion of letting him off. Any disciplinary action is not an issue at this point in time, after all there is still the presumption of innocence until the court matter takes place."

Mr McIntyre said Carney's future was particularly important to the club because he was a Goulburn junior and the Raiders had invested a lot of resources in his development. "We'd be letting down all those people that have been involved in developing the Todd Carneys, the Laurie Daleys, the Bradley Clydes and the Ricky Stuarts and so on. I don't know there's another NRL club that comes within a bulls roar of what we spend on junior development."

The NRL has the power to de-register Carney. Raiders general manager Don Furner would not speculate on whether Carney would play again this season.

"I'll tell you one thing, there definitely won't be a decision on his future out of [tomorrow's board] meeting," Mr Furner said.

Source: The Canberra Times http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/de...lass=general&story_id=588175&category=General

:clap:

All I can say is well done Canberra! Great to see that the Raiders are at the forefront of looking after their players.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Good effort from the Raiders. Honestly, everyone in the league communty wants Todd to sort out his problems. The Raiders do have a duty to help him. I just hope that Todd gets the right help. Every young star has his problems, it is how they respond to these problems that is the factor.

Regardless of how they word it Carney was on his last chance. Do you Canberra fans honestly, and I do mean honestly if he was some benchie in PL that had Carney's history and did what he did, that they would be given the same leniency?

Carney has proven he is bigger then the Raiders.

Raider_69

Post Whore
i have little doubts if todd carney was a fringe first grader and didnt look a top class prospect, he'd have been sacked

facts are todd carney isnt a fringe fger, he is the best young half in the game, and sacking him would have only given another club the chance to benifit from his talent and our development. Why would you hand you're best asset to a competiter? Silly business

What canberra have done is proven that Todd Carney is being groomed to play a MASSIVE role in a Raiders future, and we are willing to give him every chance we can to allow him to assume that role. Im very confident this incident will be his last major one.

Raider_69

Post Whore
todd will be watched like a hawk from this point onwards, so its likely they'll catch him carrying on abit with mates at mooseheads, or stumbling abit after one too many... these are nothing incidents but given his history they will be reported, thats the worst i think we'll see from todd for the rest of his career

R69 his got the club over a barrell if he doesnt get sacked from this, he knows that his just that damn important to the club he can do whatever the hell he wants.

Short of shackling him to a bed how much can they supervise and monitor him off the field?

I feel for the Raiders they are my second team, damned if they do, damned if they dont!

Raider_69

Post Whore
todd most certainly wont be able to do what he wants
i have no doubt he has been told that the club will not be giving him another chance after this one, so he will be sacked if it happens again, not the mention if something like this happens again, the decision wont be in our hands, he will go to jail. And he will have destroyed his career.

Todds a good kid who has made some very dumb decisions, im confident mentoring and what not, this will be the last of them.

Rusty

Juniors
He'll be given plenty more chances and this wont be his last discrepency...and if its minor it will be swept under the carpet which is what always happens unless he breaks the law and the NRL decides to de register. It's in the Raiders best interest to keep him....last chance pfft

Raider_69

Post Whore
Rusty said:
He'll be given plenty more chances and this wont be his last discrepency...and if its minor it will be swept under the carpet which is what always happens unless he breaks the law and the NRL decides to de register. It's in the Raiders best interest to keep him....last chance pfft

and we thank you, Nostradamus for joining us here on LU :roll:

Rusty

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
and we thank you, Nostradamus for joining us here on LU :roll:

My pleasure, though you should have thanked me in 2003 when I actually joined LU;-)

Alex28

Coach
Raider_69 said:
What canberra have done is proven that Todd Carney is being groomed to play a MASSIVE role in a Raiders future, and we are willing to give him every chance we can to allow him to assume that role. Im very confident this incident will be his last major one.
What Canberra have done is:

* they can not carry through on their threats;
* that a player can be bigger than the club; and
* Todd Carney can pretty much do whatever he wants and the club will just take it.

The fact that the president of the club refers to him as "Toddy" shows how much contempt they are showing this pretty serious issue.

It's time the NRL make an example of Naiqama and Carney. Obviously the clubs can not seperate a moral obligation and the performance of the team in the NRL.

Matt23

Staff member
He's a top talent, I hope he learns his lessons, accepts his punishment, and is able to move on with his career.
PS R69 show him some support, and put him back in your signature