What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Carney & Steve Irwin under investigation?

Raider_69

Post Whore
Alex28 said:
What Canberra have done is:

* they can not carry through on their threats;
* that a player can be bigger than the club; and
* Todd Carney can pretty much do whatever he wants and the club will just take it.

The fact that the president of the club refers to him as "Toddy" shows how much contempt they are showing this pretty serious issue.

It's time the NRL make an example of Naiqama and Carney. Obviously the clubs can not seperate a moral obligation and the performance of the team in the NRL.

:lol: Deadset, ill have two of what you're on
Granted Carney was on his last chance after the last incident, so ill give you that point, however do you think Newcastle would sack Mullen in this situation, or anyone besides Dane involved in that Uni romp, no my mistake, they were all angels, except for Tilse... :roll:
What about previously johns? How about brisbane and Joel Moon or Darren Lockyer? The Tigers and Benji Marshall or Robbie Farah? How about the Panthers and gow... well that horse has bolten. Or even the Titans and La.. my bad that one too. Bulldogs and Mason or SBW? How about the storm and Cam Smith or Inglis, St George on Cregh or Wes.. opps that horse has bolted too... deadset dreaming. Now im not suggesting Todd is in the calibre of player of some of the above, but he is as important to our team as those players are to theirs

Clubs are always softer on marque players then they are on others. There is a reason for that, its call smart business. Sacking them would do no good, they are players talented enough to easily pick another club, then your hard earned money and development is used against you.

Point 2: Todd is not bigger then the club, hence why he's been stood down, despite being our best player, might not play again this year, will be fined heavily and will have to prove himself to the club, players and fans.

Point 3: already addressed this, re: see above

The fact the club officals refer to him as "toddy" shows how close nit our club is, we treat our club like a family, when a family member f**ks up, you dont kick them out of home, you support them and help them get back on track, thats what we are doing. If we wernt taking it seriously we wouldnt be fining him, or standing him down or reporting that he was a whisker from termination. Honestly, get off the gear mate, its f**king with you

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Fair dinkum, I can't believe some of you are that surprised.

Canberra has invested so much in the future of this player. The club has had this kid earmarked to take the Raiders to greener pastures for years now and would be foolish to just get rid of him, especially considering there's players still running around who have done alot worse. As discussed there would be little point in sacking him so another club can pick him up and reap the benefits of the time and effort they have put into him. It would render Carney unpunished and the club would be short a future star.
I think alot of you underestimate how much Todd Carney means to the club and it's fans. It's easy for an outsider to get on their moral high horse and say "sack him, sack him now!", but why don't you think for a second and consider what your club would do in this situation? Without coming up with fruitless examples like Tevita Latu, Dane Tilse and Mitchell Sergent. Would Newcastle sack Jarrod Mullen? Would the Cowboys sack Jonothan Thurston? Bulldogs Sonny-Bill? F*ck no they wouldn't.

Alex28

Coach
It is pretty clear that the vast majority of clubs in the NRL do not have the balls to stand up to their top line players and their discipline problems. Canberra said Carney was on his last chance - right up to when he stuffed up again when he is on his last chance - again. What is that saying to the player? How many last chances can you have?

But what can I say...apparently the Knights have signed Naiqama...just what we need. A guy with an alcohol problem at a club that has been trying to clean up its act on the alcohol department. Bravo Knights board...

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
carney did a bad thing, but if canberra let go of carney they would struggle for many more years to come, he is seen as the future at that club and is a player they can build a team around.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Immortal said:
What's Creagh done ?

absolutely nothing, but if he did, saints would be f**king moronic to turf him
the horse bolted comment was with regards to wes, not creagh

Dutchy

Immortal
The Canberra Raiders board have decided not sack half Todd Carney over his latest off-field indiscretion.

The Raiders board met earlier today to discuss Carney, who was suspended indefinitely by the club after allegedly leading police on a high-speed pursuit last Friday evening. Raiders general manager Don Furner says the club will help Carney undertake a rehabilitation program but hasn't decided yet how long his suspension will be.

Carney is due to face ACT Magistrates Court on Monday to answer three separate charges. This latest incident comes after a drink driving conviction earlier this year which saw Carney lose his licence for five years and be placed on a three-year good behaviour bond.

Written by: League news
May 25th, 2007 01:33 PM

Raider_69

Post Whore
Red and Blue Knight said:
Canberra will continue to struggle with or without Carney for years to come.

:lol:
keep telling you're self that RABK, you know as well as i do, thats not going to happen... I believe CWB said it best when commenting weather the knights really needed todd carney:

CWBush said:
A player who is, all bias aside, better than Jarrod Mullen? Yes, yes we do.

Raider Ultra

Bench
Red and Blue Knight said:
Canberra will continue to struggle with or without Carney for years to come.
Been watching the Footy Show and the Knights cherrsquad on it too much? Doesn't say too much for your team, considering we systematically took you apart, and that was with the great 'Joey'.

Raider_69

Post Whore
same thing Carney said after carving the knights up i believe ;-)
a suggestion they'd have been better suited strutting their stuff at Fyshwick, not Bruce

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Raider_69 said:
same thing Carney said after carving the knights up i believe ;-)
a suggestion they'd have been better suited strutting their stuff at Fyshwick, not Bruce

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good call that.

innsaneink

Referee
If he's not doing boob you can bet your bottom dollar he'll be playing again within 4-6 weeks.

Canberra Carneys

mattyg

Bench
tbh i think it was well handled by canberra management. As everyone has been saying, if they sacked him someone woulda signed him on double the money he is currently on the next day. This punishment is more likely to help him in the long term. As INK said, he'll probably be back in 4-6 weeks, but as long as he learns then it can only be a good thing. All this being said, one more stuff up and the NRL should de-register him.

Raider_69

Post Whore
innsaneink said:
If he's not doing boob you can bet your bottom dollar he'll be playing again within 4-6 weeks.

Canberra Carneys

Yep, and we're proud as punch about it :D
i think his suspension will depend on how well we go, a month would be the minimum, but if we lose our next 3, id bank on him being there for the 4th game

Iafeta

Referee
If he was a certain polynesian hooker at the Sharks, he would have been delisted by now.

How soft are Canberra? I bet a lot applading the decision were also amongst those criticising Penrith for their various stances on Craig Gower. It seems in the NRL there's a certain level - if you're below it you're a media scapegoat to show how much discipline clubs and the NRL will impose on players, but if you're a key player for a club we'll try to diplomatically side with the player to ensure he's back on the field soon. Soft.

"He's on his last chance"... "except for the next time.." ... "and the next time after that if he's still in good form."