What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Carney & Steve Irwin under investigation?

perverse

Referee
if canberra don't sack him (in a found guilty situation) then it's a farce. he blatently lied to the club, the media.. everyone.. turned over a new leaf? repay the club for their faith in him? what utter crap.

as i said (to mixed responses) in the canberra forum.. i'd love to see the kid in the red and blue next to mullen.. but after reading about his previous indiscretions it seems the kid has no brains at all, and i'm not so sure. good player on the field, but is obviously a few sandwiches short off it. i honestly think the kid needs to either do some time or at least a lengthy term of community service to sober his attitude. if (really not a big IF assuming the media reports are anywhere near the mark) he's found guilty on all 3 charges then i daresay he will be behind bars for a while.

Gene Krupa

Referee
What I don't think alot of you understand is, that he's broken his bond conditions in NSW, by committing a crime in another state or territory. So regardless of whether or not he commited the crime in ACT, he can still be bought before the courts in NSW for breach of conditions.

Gene Krupa

Referee
Raider_69 said:
TBH based on my interactions with him and what was said in the paper earlier, i sincerely believed he had turned over a new leaf and he'd be ok... maybe it was just blind faith in the kid... im devestated, i was coasting through this season, with little care, as even in some of our poor showings, it was always in the back of my mind, that with Todd around we'd be premiers before too long... not any more

and no dobson is not better, Carney is the best young half in the game today.

You have no rights to be devestated, he's just a player! That's what you told the Knights fans when Joey retired.

As they say R69, karma's a bitch!

Raider_69

Post Whore
Gene Krupa said:
You have no rights to be devestated, he's just a player! That's what you told the Knights fans when Joey retired.

As they say R69, karma's a bitch!

Go on then smart arse, find me a quote where i said Knights fans have no right to be devestated at john's retirement. You seem so sure of yourself, i know you'll be looking a very long time before you find a quote from me that even suggests that line of thinking

Put or shut up GK

skeepe

Immortal
Gutted. Still, I don't think he should be sacked... it won't hurt Carney because if sacked, he'll just be picked up by another club.

Then again, with the Canberra Times reporting that the police were in the area because someone reported a car doing burnouts.... I just don't know. What is it about burnouts anyway? I've never understood what's so great about them, particularly why someone would want to throw a career away just to do them.

I still hope he's not sacked, but it's not looking good.

Matt23

Staff member
I seriously doubt the raiders will punt him, I can see him doing lots of club enforced community service though.
PS: Gk's views may not be those of other Knights fans

Gene Krupa

Referee
Raider_69 said:
Go on then smart arse, find me a quote where i said Knights fans have no right to be devestated at john's retirement. You seem so sure of yourself, i know you'll be looking a very long time before you find a quote from me that even suggests that line of thinking

Put or shut up GK

I should have said infered. Though the truth never stopped you from saying things that weren't true.

perverse

Referee
skeepe said:
Gutted. Still, I don't think he should be sacked... it won't hurt Carney because if sacked, he'll just be picked up by another club.

Then again, with the Canberra Times reporting that the police were in the area because someone reported a car doing burnouts.... I just don't know. What is it about burnouts anyway? I've never understood what's so great about them, particularly why someone would want to throw a career away just to do them.

I still hope he's not sacked, but it's not looking good.
unless you hard a massive hard on for cars.. there is nothing great about them. the f*ck your tyres.. f*ck your ears.. f*ck the rims on your car... actually they're just f*cked. it's pure wank value for car lovers.. idiots.. and people who need to compensate something in their life with power under the bonnet.

as for why one would throw away their career to do them - pure stupidity. as pure as you will ever find.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Gene Krupa said:
I should have said infered. Though the truth never stopped you from saying things that weren't true.

again, quote me as to where i infered that knights fans had no right to be upset about Andrew Johns retiring? Or that ive said things that are untrue... My bet is you cant.

perverse

Referee
Raider Azz said:
he wont be sacked.
as i said i think he should be... if he doesn't go to gaol he may not be though.

i'd be praying for the latter if i were a raiders fans.

Alex28

Coach
If he is found guilty he should be sacked - however that may not teach him anything (given another club can pick him up straight away) and will only disadvantage Canberra in the long run.

What should happen is that he is de-registered from the NRL and League for a certain time period for bringing the game into disrepute. That way Canberra has the chance to re-sign him at the end of the period and no one will benefit straight away from another clubs work (such as the Knights and Mitchell Sargeant last year).

If the Raiders sack him and another club signs him straight away it will be an absolute shame. The Raiders will have done the right thing and the kid will have learned nothing.

His criminal record may cause him some trouble for any NSW clubs any way - I'm fairly sure his ACT offence will see him breaking his good behavour bond conditions in NSW. He could face jail in both ACT and NSW? He might be too busy to play League any way!

Stranger

Coach
De-register him... then one day after his suspension can re-apply to join Canberra... If he really wants to repay them he will do it rather cheaply also...

Winston Smith

Juniors
I think he'll be going to jail for a month or three, most likely as periodic detention. If that doesn't give him the shake up he obviously needs, then clearly he's a complete f**kwit. I'd give him one last chance after he's done with jail (which will be punishment enough for his stupidity ... don't think the NRL or Raiders need to add to it), stepping out of line after that will show he's just a knob who deserves to be cut loose.

If I were the Raiders, I'd be finding him a mentor/chaperone to keep him away from cars, grog, anything remotely resembling even the slightest possibility of trouble, 24/7.

scottyeel

Bench
http://www.nrl.com/News/Latest/NewsArticle/tabid/76/NewsId/5168/Default.aspx
Naughty Carney may get Canberra lifeline
Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 6:35 PM

Canberra chairman John McIntyre says Todd Carney may still have a future at the Raiders even if the young five-eighth is found guilty of any offence following an alleged police pursuit in the nation's capital.

Carney is facing a possible jail term after being charged with failing to stop when directed by police, negligent driving and driving while disqualified after allegedly leading police on a high-speed chase on Friday evening.

It was alleged that after failing to outrun police in a vehicle belonging to teammate Steve Irwin - who was a passenger - Carney then set off on foot before handing himself into police some hours later.

The 20-year-old will be summonsed to appear in court but McIntyre said it was not cut and dry that the club would release the talented playmaker.

Carney wouldn't be the first player the Raiders have offered a lifeline after signing Dane Tilse and Neville Costigan in recent seasons - both players having had their contracts torn up at previous clubs following off-field indiscretions.

"My view is that we'd be looking at (the situation) - unless the NRL has other ideas - we'd look to continue doing that with Toddy," McIntyre said.

"There'll be certainly no knee-jerk reaction - we'll wait and see what the court decides.

"It's just very disappointing for a number of people who have got no other reaction than to feel let down as a result of it."

Much of the disappointment stems from the fact Carney was still in counselling after being placed on a three-year good behaviour bond and having his licence suspended for five years following an incident at Goulburn last year.

"It was just such disappointment to get that phone call about what had happened," McIntyre said.

"He's been undergoing counselling and it's continuing, that's the sad part about it.

"Obviously we need to look at stepping that up although I don't even know if it's possible to do more than has been done."

Raiders coach Neil Henry, in camp with the Queensland Origin team as an assistant to Mal Meninga, said he too would not be rushing to put a line through Carney's name.

"I'm just hopeful we come to an arrangement where Todd Carney isn't lost to rugby league because he's a wonderful talent," Henry told ABC radio.

"There's no doubt that he's got a few issue there that we need to sort out.

"We'll get through that and hopefully we get through that and he's still a part of our organisation and he's playing footy and he's sorted out his life."

The nrl have already said that they are happy with the raiders stance on the matter, so I highly doubt that they will get involved beyond what has already taken place on their behalf, and given that they didn't de-register naiqama, they wont de-register carney

Latest posts