What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Lowrie

Hellsy

Immortal
The Colonel said:
Based on terms of what we have let go to sign, so far, Todd Lowrie the ledger is by far in the red. He may well prove to be a good signing. Players like Lowrie and Fui are signed on promise behind some bigger names, not necessarily the other way about.

Precisely... I am just sooo disappointed that people have ridden him off as a crap player when he is so young and full of so much hope.

He has really only played a handful of games for the Knights, and has wanted to come and play for Parra, that deserves a fair chance IMO

Stagger eel

Staff member
James_Hardie said:
I tell you what, seeing as how you are in with "Zap" and his crew and are in the know, why don't you pass on my grievences for me..

Last time i checked, as long as i wasn't defaming anyone, i could post what ever i like. And i am pretty sure i am not the only one losing paitence with our club.

Hey guess what!! I'm as much "in" with Zap as you are..I'm also disgruntled not with this purschase because i rate Lowrie but for other reasons and I've done what I suggested for you to do and "shock horror" "lo and behold" I not only got a response but I've also got an explanation.

maybe you should try the same thing, you'd be surprised ;-)

Hellsy said:
Precisely... I am just sooo disappointed that people have ridden him off as a crap player when he is so young and full of so much hope.

He has really only played a handful of games for the Knights, and has wanted to come and play for Parra, that deserves a fair chance IMO

I AGREE

Stagger eel

Staff member
Hellsy said:

because they're all experts who have followed Todd Lowery's career from go to whoa, they've seen every one of his games including all his lower grade games and they've followed him as footballer through all his juniors.

;-) ;-)

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
eelavation said:
because they're all experts who have followed Todd Lowery's career from go to whoa, they've seen every one of his games including all his lower grade games and they've followed him as footballer through all his juniors.

;-) ;-)

Michael Witt was a lower grade star too, would you like him back?

If we sign a big name foward and a couple more small names, then Lowrie is a good buy but he is not going to be the answer to our problems. What I don't like about Lowrie is that Hagan thinks he is a utility, he regularly plays him at five-eighth and he is absolutely hopeless there. If Lowrie comes and plays exclusively in the second row and preferably off the bench (unless form warrants a starting spot) then I won't be too disappointed.

James_Hardie

Juniors
eelavation said:
Hey guess what!! I'm as much "in" with Zap as you are..I'm also disgruntled not with this purschase because i rate Lowrie but for other reasons and I've done what I suggested for you to do and "shock horror" "lo and behold" I not only got a response but I've also got an explanation.

maybe you should try the same thing, you'd be surprised ;-)

23,000 posts suggests you have more spare time than i do, and good luck to you. Perhaps i should write a letter. But if i was going to take the time to write a letter to someone, or something, it would be about more pressing issue than a football club signing.

I also don't think it should take letters from unhappy fans to get these guys interested in doing their job. If they are looking to sign people, then why doesn't Denis say something, anything to give the supporters some sort of hope. Apart from blurting about his concerns for the scraping of June 30, and claiming we have withdrawn our offer to Lyon, all he has said for the last month is "no comment".

Stagger eel

Staff member
ParraDude_Jay said:
Michael Witt was a lower grade star too, would you like him back?

If we sign a big name foward and a couple more small names, then Lowrie is a good buy but he is not going to be the answer to our problems. What I don't like about Lowrie is that Hagan thinks he is a utility, he regularly plays him at five-eighth and he is absolutely hopeless there. If Lowrie comes and plays exclusively in the second row and preferably off the bench (unless form warrants a starting spot) then I won't be too disappointed.

As far as I'm aware and when I last checked Hagan, is a better judge than you and me and that our buying is not over.

what makes you think that Lowrie is our one and only purchase?

The Colonel

Immortal
eelavation said:

;-) ;-)

I think you'll find the problem is eela that because the club haven't been transparent with any signing news, outside of the fact they are apparently well cashed up, the signing of Todd Lowrie is a bitter disappointment. Any name we have even been remotely linked with has either re-signed or gone to another club. The juniors we would have expected to be re-signed are quite likely moving on due to many different factors. At the end of the day 2007 is looking pretty grim even for my eyes.

A bloke that has played 40 first grade games since 2003 is hardly going to be a good signing for a fan base expecting something decent from all the losses the club is enduring. Sure we have a very good core to work with. But what we have come to know from the past, just pairing these good players with what is left on the market isn't necessarily a good base from which to work from.

I know there may well be more signings coming but we have gone from a squad that won the minor premiership in 2005 to second last in 2006. The fan base expect something good to come of this season and signings of some nature would be well on the way to making it a little bit happier.

Hellsy

Immortal
ParraDude_Jay said:

Oh I agree!

I just hate when some people write off a player when they really know nothing about him.
We surely need some big name forwards to be signed, but this kid could be a big name int he making.... we just don't know!

Stagger eel

Staff member
James_Hardie said:
23,000 posts suggests you have more spare time than i do, and good luck to you. Perhaps i should write a letter. But if i was going to take the time to write a letter to someone, or something, it would be about more pressing issue than a football club signing.

I also don't think it should take letters from unhappy fans to get these guys interested in doing their job. If they are looking to sign people, then why doesn't Denis say something, anything to give the supporters some sort of hope. Apart from blurting about his concerns for the scraping of June 30, and claiming we have withdrawn our offer to Lyon, all he has said for the last month is "no comment".

well the time it took for to you to respond to me, you may have even had your answer from the club by now. who knows?

I'm also un happy with the way they are going about recruitment this year, I've let them know about it.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
OK, so he's young, but is he any better than those that we have let go.

I guess we had to start somewhere.

Bigfella

Coach
My experience of writing to the club and receiving no response is running at a 100% success rate (at least 4 occasions 2004-2006)

Parra Pete mentioned something similar recently.

It is extremely trying being an Eels fan. There are some people in charge who are pretty hard to cop IMO

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
eelavation said:
As far as I'm aware and when I last checked Hagan, is a better judge than you and me and that our buying is not over.

what makes you think that Lowrie is our one and only purchase?

Hagan may well be a better judge of talent than you or me, but playing Lowrie at 6 is not a good decision by anyone. Lowrie has no kicking or passing game, he is just a hard runner of the football and that is something we need but not at five-eighth. You don't need to be an extremely good judge of talent to see that Lowrie is not a five-eighth.

And I don't think Lowrie will be our one and only purchase, I just fear (and I could be completely wrong, I know it's early days yet) that the club and Hagan aren't going to go after Myles or Simpson and will instead take the gamble on signing fringe first graders who are looking for opportunity to play regular FG or start games.

James_Hardie

Juniors
I don't think he would be signed as a first choice 5/8. He is surely being signed to play as a utility.

If he is coming in to replace say a Henry Perenara, Good, he is better than Henry P (with all due respect to Henry). if he is coming to replace Johnny, then bad.

The biggest concern is that this is not the sort of signing that other players see and go "great, i want to sign with them". A more transparent approach by the club would be nice. The fact that it has been discussed on here for three hours and still no press release from the club re-emphasis's that concern.

Suitman

Post Whore
Bigfella said:
My experience of writing to the club and receiving no response is running at a 100% success rate (at least 4 occasions 2004-2006)

Parra Pete mentioned something similar recently.

It is extremely trying being an Eels fan. There are some people in charge who are pretty hard to cop IMO

Maybe between your experiences and Eela's, it proves that it pays to know the people you are emailing.

Suity

strider

Post Whore
How many clubs are killing it by signing NEW players (not re-signing) this time round?

Gold Coast - everyone wants to be part of something new
Souths - players want to be buddies with Russell

No other teams ... the writing was on the wall when they upped the salary cap - teams were gonna retain most their stars with the extra cash.

Unfortunately we got caught in the middle of a cleaning out period when they decided to raise the cap .... sh*t happens - we should move on and do our best with what we have got and the few we will get .... we have talent already - we've just gotta turn up and use it.

The Colonel

Immortal
strider said:
How many clubs are killing it by signing NEW players (not re-signing) this time round?

Gold Coast - everyone wants to be part of something new
Souths - players want to be buddies with Russell

No other teams ... the writing was on the wall when they upped the salary cap - teams were gonna retain most their stars with the extra cash.

Unfortunately we got caught in the middle of a cleaning out period when they decided to raise the cap .... sh*t happens - we should move on and do our best with what we have got and the few we will get .... we have talent already - we've just gotta turn up and use it.

sh*t doesn't just happen strider. The club should have been a little bit better organised in such an event. The cap rise didn't just sneak up. And moving on and doing the best with what we have shouldn't be an issue - they should have made better use of what we already had like the rest of the competition and looked at next year instead. Clubs strengths will either remain the same or increase. Ours at the moment is very much in decline.

Suitman

Post Whore
strider said:
... the writing was on the wall when they upped the salary cap - teams were gonna retain most their stars with the extra cash.

So why couldn't we??

Suity