What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tomkins

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
:lol: glad to see you're avidly reading my posts

Apologies for any offence you've taken

I haven't taken any offence at all. It's plainly obvious that you're either purposefully trying to incite people or desperate for people to agree with you which is why you keep bringing it up in irrelevant threads hoping others will join in.

Of course once again, sarcasm and more attempts at inciting in response.

Just really not sure what you're trying to achieve.

vvvrulz

Coach
I haven't taken any offence at all. It's plainly obvious that you're either purposefully trying to incite people or desperate for people to agree with you which is why you keep bringing it up in irrelevant threads hoping others will join in.

Of course once again, sarcasm and more attempts at inciting in response.

Just really not sure what you're trying to achieve.

I've been on this topic closely, and I haven't seen anything of the sort.
He pretty much like all of us had an opinion and freely expressed it, no more no less.

Taking things way too seriously mate.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I didn't say it was in this thread, I even quoted it in my previous post.

Not taking it seriously at all, but if that's how you read it.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Anyway on to footy talk..

His bomb catching was on song.

Consistency is the key though, also liked that he didn't take shit from Semi even though he had a few kgs on him. (lol at fui giving Konrad the silly slaps)

WellsNZ

Juniors
Anyway on to footy talk..

His bomb catching was on song.

Consistency is the key though, also liked that he didn't take shit from Semi even though he had a few kgs on him. (lol at fui giving Konrad the silly slaps)

He stood up to James Graham having a go, if he isn't going to take shit from Graham then he's probably not going to take shit from anyone.

It's pretty clear teams have been trying to give him a nice "NRL welcome" but he's certainly been dealing with it.

Scott

Bench
Most pleasing thing for me about Sam's game against Parramatta was there were NO errors.

In previous weeks he's done great things but 1 or 2 errors always spoil it. Not last game. Sublime performance from him.

vvvrulz

Coach
Most pleasing thing for me about Sam's game against Parramatta was there were NO errors.

Just quietly, he did drop a bomb cold which bounced off into touch to concede a drop out.
But he had the goal posts in his way, and it mattered zilch.

He was much much safer at the back than previous weeks, very good signs.

vvvrulz

Coach
He stood up to James Graham having a go, if he isn't going to take shit from Graham then he's probably not going to take shit from anyone.

It's pretty clear teams have been trying to give him a nice "NRL welcome" but he's certainly been dealing with it.

And this time it was nice to see Konnie sticking up alongside him, it was worrying in previous weeks to see the fellow Warriors sort of stand around doing nothing while Tomkins was getting dished cheap shots from everywhere.

Izz

Bench
Just quietly, he did drop a bomb cold which bounced off into touch to concede a drop out.
Very few fullbacks would've caught that one imo. It was basically sliding down the goalpost.

Rich102

Staff member
And this time it was nice to see Konnie sticking up alongside him, it was worrying in previous weeks to see the fellow Warriors sort of stand around doing nothing while Tomkins was getting dished cheap shots from everywhere.

Totally agree. I think it was Konnie coming in that made the refs look closer at it.
Shame our forwards can't sort it.

Meth

Staff member

He was much much safer at the back than previous weeks, very good signs.

Massive factor. I wouldn't be shocked if any fullback in the comp failed to take that one

Hey I totally agree with Izz and Meth, its still an 'error' though

Was hoping for no slipping either, but alas the perfect game alludes him! :D

I wonder how many other NRL games he watch's during the weekend or week?
Sometime it seems as he doesn't know the players in front of him to take advantage of on his kick returns.
Manu, Hurrell and alike bash their way through, Tomkins should be able to dance through them!
Showed good strength for one try and dogged determination for both. (Apparently missing his dog according to Vossy.)

tangalife

Juniors
You quite often see Tomkins trying to split the defence, like he does in the Super League but the NRL defence is quicker to react, he doesn't have the same explosiveness. He'll figure it out though, if he knuckles down in off season to try gain some strength and acceleration he'll look twice the player ball in hand next year.

Drzoidberg

Juniors
Shame our forwards can't sort it.

They have (in the dogs game) but what can they do though? Run in and pull some shirts like they did when Graham was trying to give it to Tomkins ( think it was benny and freddy).

If just to highlight a problem it wouldn't matter if it was a forward or a back running in, whoever is closest would be best to avoid a potential penalty against us for running in.

Drzoidberg

Juniors
Hey I totally agree with Izz and Meth, its still an 'error' though

Yes a blemish is a blemish, shame on you Tomkins, shame on you.

Wouldn't say he dropped it cold when he had a set of goalpost to contesting the ball as well.

Did anyone see his boots were a bit muddy before the start of the game? Tsk tsk :sarcasm:

Rennie

Juniors
I must admit that I expected alot from Sam and have been slightly dissapointed with how his first season ended, however I would like to defend him from alot of the criticism he has received both on this forum and in the media. Take for example Matt Moylan and everyone saying how good he has been and he is a superstar in the making lets compares stats as they have both played the same amount of games.

Tomkins Moylan

Tries 13 8
Try Assists 13 17
Avg Runs 14.17 12.79
Avg Run Metres 117.38 116.46
Tackle Busts 107 66
Offloads 18 24
L/B's 11 12
L/B Assists 18 18

Not much difference IMO?? I'm looking forward to Sam bulking up a little next season and honing those combinations over the off-season.

Last edited:

reykaine

Juniors
I must admit that I expected alot from Sam and have been slightly dissapointed with how his first season ended, however I would like to defend him from alot of the criticism he has received both on this forum and in the media. Take for example Matt Moylan and everyone saying how good he has been and he is a superstar in the making lets compares stats as they have both played the same amount of games.

Tomkins Moylan

Tries 13 8
Try Assists 13 17
Avg Runs 14.17 12.79
Avg Run Metres 117.38 116.46
Tackle Busts 107 66
Offloads 18 24
L/B's 11 12
L/B Assists 18 18

Not much difference IMO?? I'm looking forward to Sam bulking up a little next season and honing those combinations over the off-season.

Interesting stats. I like Sam Tompkins and bulking up will help with some things. I really believe 6 is where he should be. There's a chasm between Superleague and NRL and too many points are scored from fullbacks being out of position, dropping high balls. At 6 he just will need help with his defence but the tactical nous is there for making a real impact.
And I think people are down on Sam because they all thought he was the champion player we needed to crack the 8. And it didn't happen. But its not guaranteed in this comp.
Eels have Hayne (world's best fullback)
St George have Dugan, Morris and Nightingale, a back three to drool over.
Its a TEAM comp and you need the team working as a effective unit all doing their roles properly to make a decent challenge for the premiership in the NRL.

As to who would be our FB if Sam moved to 6, I would actually try Johnson there. Its been done before with other 6's and 7's with good success. Greg Alexander, Phil Blake etc and probably more I cant think of right now. If not Johnson, then I would put the Fish back there. I thought he was blooming at FB last year until he got injured ( which is his major issue). Otherwise, Lolohea looked good against Canberra. There are other options in the team besides Sam.

Last edited:

sup42

Juniors
This was posted by a Wigan fan on the other forum :

GazrethW said :

" Tomkins has always been a natural half who only moved to fullback because there were no other competent options there for Wigan after injury. Granted he stayed there for the rest of his Wigan career but that is partly because the game plan allowed him to use his strengths without having his weaknesses exposed quite so often apart from against a couple of teams like Leeds. He didn't bother doing kick returns for his last couple of seasons with Charnley or Richards dropping back every time so he could lay it off to them. Interestingly he was already the best choice for England at half in the 4 Nations after it playing half a season and his front line defence wasn't a weakness at all including games against Australia and NZ. He was probably already on his way to transitioning back to a role in the halves before he left Wigan so by now it really is his best option. Also it will allow him to use some of his more natural halfback play he picked up going through the grades as he only really knows the play out the back as a fullback which doesn't really work unless you have an ultra dominant pack drawing defenders into the middle to give him space. "

Latest posts