What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Too many NRL teams in Sydney "Gallop.

STEVE R

Juniors
Demands of Pay TV have stuffed the game.
Drive down the street and count the Foxtel Dishes that you see. The people who live in those houses are less likely to go watch the game than they used to be.

If Foxtel and News Ltd kept throwing Super League money around these days, then the game could flourish, but with the money dried up, and more games on TV, clubs will always struggle for a crowd.

Moving, axeing or doing anything else to clubs will not solve the problem.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
This is the problem, if RL was independent of News than those games don't have to be on TV if the league doesn't want it. News would have to pay s*** loads to get the game as they need it more than we do it to sell their pay TV.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Decent stadiums, good atmosphere, reasonable cost and hyped up games are whats needed. Disagree with relocation, up the salary cap and bring in 5 year franchises with min criteria. Those figures show that there will need to be supporting grants available if we are going to move into non RL cities as without leagues clubs it is hard to see the likes of Perth or Adelaide surviving.

RL1908

Bench
I think the interest over the weekend in Dragons v Bulldogs game & Manly v Parramatta games, in comparison to the Roosters v Storm game & the Souths v Titans games, demonstrate that moving a club out of Sydney, and thus further reducing the overall number of tribal matches between Sydney clubs, is not going to be the answer.

I'm not offering up a Sydney-centric view - I'm just pointing out a problem that clearly exists in Sydney.

How good was the buzz across Sydney yesterday (and this morning) brought about by two Sydney clubs going at it on a Sunday afternoon in front of a fanatic Parra crowd? Doesn't it make you want to go a similar game next week, or buy a jersey, or talk to your mate abut what you all saw, heard, watched?

It wasn't that long ago that we had 2 or 3 matches EVERY Sunday afternoon in Sydney - maybe the reduction in Sunday arvo games is partly why Sydneysiders are staying at home and seemingly less interested in RL - preferring their Saturday nights watching the game on TV in the comfort of their loungeroom or at the pub.

lockyrulz

Juniors
RL1908 said:
I think the interest over the weekend in Dragons v Bulldogs game & Manly v Parramatta games, in comparison to the Roosters v Storm game & the Souths v Titans games, demonstrate that moving a club out of Sydney, and thus further reducing the overall number of tribal matches between Sydney clubs, is not going to be the answer.

I'm not offering up a Sydney-centric view - I'm just pointing out a problem that clearly exists in Sydney.

How good was the buzz across Sydney yesterday (and this morning) brought about by two Sydney clubs going at it on a Sunday afternoon in front of a fanatic Parra crowd? Doesn't it make you want to go a similar game next week, or buy a jersey, or talk to your mate abut what you all saw, heard, watched?

It wasn't that long ago that we had 2 or 3 matches EVERY Sunday afternoon in Sydney - maybe the reduction in Sunday arvo games is partly why Sydneysiders are staying at home and seemingly less interested in RL - preferring their Saturday nights watching the game on TV in the comfort of their loungeroom or at the pub.

The Eels should relocate to Perth and stay there.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Jobdog said:
move the Dogs to Gosford and piss Penrith off altogether ;-)

Yeah, good on you idiot!

Glad you're not NRL CEO otherwise League in Western Sydney would die in the arse and AFL would get a strong foot hold!

Knightmare

Coach
If you merge or relocate all the Sydney clubs you will have nothing more than a soulless interstate comp like the Super 14's. Going by some people's logic on here, the Waratahs and the Reds should sell out every game.

Nook

Bench
Yup.

Keeping up the 'local' sources of buzz/interest/passion will be a key to sustaining an expanded competition.

Sydney is fine as is. Relocation of teams will simply leave a gaping hole in the city itself - there's no point. Having the suburban rivalries, as RL1908 points out, is a key to keeping the RL-buzz kicking along. Lose any teams and we are losing a significant slice of the tradition and the passion that underpins the dominance of RL here.

Queensland is going along gangbusters with the Cowboys-Titans-Broncos. A cross town Brisbane clash will complete the puzzle. Similarly another NZ team would be great for the game locally and the competition (and code) as a whole. From there, slot in Perth and we're on fire.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Although i think there are too many teams in Sydney or NSW for that matter. I mean if it were a lucky dip on who would be relocated i would hate if it were Parramatta so its a hard situation i think for the die hard fans.

Knightmare

Coach
I think in terms of expansion, the next two sides in should be Central Coast (the BEARS) and Perth. As for "too many teams in NSW" that is a load of crap. Sydney and NSW are not mutually exclusive. The only stand-alone NSW team outside of Sydney is the Knights. There's plenty of money and potential support for a team 50 minutes south on the freeway.

Sea_Eagles_Rock said:
While I do agree that there is too many teams in Sydney. I think the biggest blight on the game is the money News Ltd STEALS from the game. If this extra money was invested back into the game, no club would be under ANY financial pressure.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

colonel_123 said:
The money News takes out of the game is re-invested back into the game, if you consider propping up the Storm as re-investing.

News Ltd takes 8 million from the NRL and invests 13 million into the Storm.

on that score you are correct.

what about the poor TV deal with foxsports.

afl get double the cash per game and get less ratings than RL.

nqboy

First Grade
colonel_123 said:
The money News takes out of the game is re-invested back into the game, if you consider propping up the Storm as re-investing.

News Ltd takes 8 million from the NRL and invests 13 million into the Storm.
What about the money they steal via reduced PTV contracts?

*d'oh, beat me by one post*

nqboy

First Grade
RL1908 said:
Even if one of the Sydney clubs moves out (or indeed falls over), it won't automatically mean that the remaining Sydney clubs will be in a better position financially:

1. The biggest drawing games in Sydney (and pay tv in Sydney) are when Sydney clubs play against each other.

2. As with Norths & the mergers, disillusioned RL fans/sponsors in Sydney do not automatically transfer their loyalty/investment to one of the remaining Sydney clubs - if anything, they use it as an excuse to go follow another code.

3. Sydney is the largest population/business centre in the nation - each of the Sydney clubs occupies a region bigger than Canberra, Newcastle, Gold Coast or Townsville.

Seems to me the problem is not that Sydney has too many clubs, but that the current Sydney clubs just don't maximise the markets within which they exist. They've been relying on Leagues Clubs - and now that cash-cow has dried up they seem bereft of ideas.

Take Manly for example - with no Bears in the NRL, the Sea Eagles effectively have more than a third of Sydney all to their own - a corporate/sponsor area that covers from Pennant Hills in the north-west, down to Nth Sydney, and up to Palm Beach. There is more money to be made in that region than moving anywhere.

Even beyond the argument in the paragraph above, any Sydney club can go anywhere it wants in Sydney to find sponsors & undertake promotions to maximise its earnings & fan base. The notion of districts is over.
Good post.

nqboy

First Grade
t-ba said:
Being honest though, Manly are hated on the North Shore. It's going to take a generation or so before the oldies start dropping off and we can tap into the area.
Yes, but don't leave it till then. Start now.