What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toughest Player In The NRL

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
physically tough - jeremy smith

mentally tough - beau champion... it takes a lot to keep yourself in the game after being told that you are not good enough for souths...

betcats

Referee
physically tough - jeremy smith

mentally tough - beau champion... it takes a lot to keep yourself in the game after being told that you are not good enough for souths...

lol@50uffs.

i'd go with Gallen or Petro, the old f**ker just never stops, every hit up looks like it could be his last but he always gets back up and ready for more.

Perce

Juniors
Presto, Gallen, Petero, C Smith, Foran - can't argue with any of them.
People used to put shit on Kimmorley but he was plenty tough. As for big men, Marty Lang was the bravest I've seen in the past 10 years (besides Gallen and Civoniceva) - a lot of folks called him stupid, but his willingness to get whacked hit-up after hit-up and never whinge or slow up was incredible.

On the other side of the ledger:
Jeremy Smith? Can't see it. Mouthy niggle-merchant, way behind Dallas Johnson if you're talking about a hardworking light-framed backrower.
And the last five minutes of last night's game showcased the Matai myth. The Johns brothers nicknamed Adam Muir 'Hurtsy'; I think it's time Matai took over that moniker.

Foran benched 170kgs for 1 rep, which is pretty epic at his body weight (88kgs). Bench press isn't really a good test of true strength though, as it's massively influenced by your physical make up (ie short forearms, thick torso etc), plus it's not a very athletic lift in itself.
A "true" full body strength test is the deadlift, which Pettybourne and McKendry reportedly lead the NRL in with 210kgs x 4 and 190ks x 4 respectively. McKendry is the strongest all round power lifter in the NRL (at 105kgs bw), but apparently Jacob Lillyman (at 98kgs bw) is pretty close to him in all lifts.

Fair points, and I see that you were replying to Baby G's comments, but strength does not always translate to toughness.

While we are talking about toughness, anyone else see Matai wincing his his way over to the trainer last night, not one minute before trying to put on a massive hit.

Matai sucks balls.

M2D2

Bench
I didnt like Gallen diving like soccer player. But since he realised that the refs dont penalise anybody who takes him high now. Hes better for it.
Gallen. #1

Big Mick

Referee
Preston Campbell.

For how long the guy has played, the level he has played...and yeah

And when Craig Gower is back...him..2003 had to take the needle the length of a hand inside his sternum every game...brutal.

Eion

First Grade
I didnt like Gallen diving like soccer player. But since he realised that the refs dont penalise anybody who takes him high now. Hes better for it.
Gallen. #1
Gamesmanship anyway. If gal's head was ripped off he'd stay down for he penalty then get up, get his separated head to give his teammates a wink and take the next hitup.

Johns Magic

Referee
Preston Campbell.

And when Craig Gower is back...him..2003 had to take the needle the length of a hand inside his sternum every game...brutal.

Yeah Gower was tough, always liked him.

Buderus was another I heard several similar stories about from various Knights sources.

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
I would have gone Luke O'Donnell. Loved the way he plays the game.

But since he's off in the UK I have to give the nod to Paul Gallen.

Beau Scott is underrated as well, I hope he lands one of Thaiday's chin during origin.

moik

Bench
Another vote for Jeremy Smith.

Past players, pound for pound Geoff Toovey is without equal.

hitman82

Bench
Fair points, and I see that you were replying to Baby G's comments, but strength does not always translate to toughness.

While we are talking about toughness, anyone else see Matai wincing his his way over to the trainer last night, not one minute before trying to put on a massive hit.

Matai sucks balls.

Yeah agreed. I was just picking apart the focus on bench press as it's something that irks me haha. I know numerous big lifters who I'd describe as soft.

JT_

Juniors
Sam Perrett. Drove past him recently and is built like brick **** house. In games he's bumping out of tackles with ease and you hardly ever see him get put on his back.

Other than that, Gallen stands out.

betcats

Referee
Preston Campbell.

Gowie is probably the toughest ive seen play the game.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Dan Tolar, the man hits the defense at 100 miles an hour and never has thoughts of self preservation :sarcasm:

The toughest players I've seen are Buderus, Johns, Gower, Kennedy, Toovey and Harragon. I remember a game in 1998 where buderus kept dislocating his shoulder, yet kept putting it back in himself before going in for the next tackle. Crazy stuff!