What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toulouse or London Promoted to SL!!

Perth Red

Post Whore
English rl might finally turn the corner

you got rid of Wakey

hudds and Salford are the only remaining with awful crowds but at least Salford is a big city plus Manchester next door

hudds offer nothing

super league should pretty much remain as is for next year going forward and let that build
Yeh because nrl has done So well in cities with competition from afl why wouldn’t it be able to be successful in a soccer dominated country lol

The Daddy3

Juniors
I was disappointed by the Toulouse crowds last time in SL, they avgd 5k. they have also had reported financial issues last year.

London have the stadium, have in the past been able to get 7k crowds and probably offer more value long term to Superleague.

both bring different positives though so either can hopefully be succesful

the good news is with no relegation next season whoever comes up only needs to get a better grading than Wakey, York or Bradford to stay up.
Your crowds aren't gonna be good in the middle of a global pandemic. At the time, the French government required anyone attending a public event to be vaccinated with boosters, there was a lot of uncertainty, doubt and resistance.

Also, in Europe large swathes of the population were not leaving their homes for anything, until long after the restrictions were withdrawn. So the TO crowds from their inaugural season is not a fair reflection of their potential.

I expect them in the long term to go really well providing they do get promoted. It's really important that them and Catalan get a TV deal, even if they have to pay for coverage

The Daddy3

Juniors
I was disappointed by the Toulouse crowds last time in SL, they avgd 5k. they have also had reported financial issues last year.

London have the stadium, have in the past been able to get 7k crowds and probably offer more value long term to Superleague.

the good news is with no relegation next season whoever comes up only needs to get a better grading than Wakey, York or Bradford to stay up.
In regards to the 'financial issues' these were costs not planned for because SL clubs at the last minute asked them to pay all transport costs of away teams which totalled around 500k. This was also when additional measures was needed for travelling, ie, covid tests etc.

If someone asked you to pull out 500k all of a sudden it will cause you financial issues for sure.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Your crowds aren't gonna be good in the middle of a global pandemic. At the time, the French government required anyone attending a public event to be vaccinated with boosters, there was a lot of uncertainty, doubt and resistance.

Also, in Europe large swathes of the population were not leaving their homes for anything, until long after the restrictions were withdrawn. So the TO crowds from their inaugural season is not a fair reflection of their potential.

I expect them in the long term to go really well providing they do get promoted. It's really important that them and Catalan get a TV deal, even if they have to pay for coverage
Dragons have a tv deal in France and Spain

The Daddy3

Juniors

In the play offs the year they won the Championship, they got crowds of 10k for both games. After that restrictions got tighter and there was uncertainty as to whether Toulouse would be able to play any SL home games......not good for promoting season ticket sales.

Also season before in the Championship they didn't have any home games due to the covid restrictions on travelling so that's gonna coz issues financially too.

If they make it up next season it will be a better indication of where they are.

The Daddy3

Juniors

I think you're using the term 'tv deal' loosely coz those arrangements with those broadcasters only covers the odd games.

Wb1234

Referee
Yeh because nrl has done So well in cities with competition from afl why wouldn’t it be able to be successful in a soccer dominated country lol
Melbourne.
New Zealand
North qld
Perth

All bold moves

meanwhile super league

two clubs in hull
Cas and wakey
Gastehead killed off
Wales died off
Bradford almost broke
Etc

Gobsmacked

Bench

Let's not forget that thier performance was relegation level...
Get some performances together wouldn't hurt either.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Melbourne.
New Zealand
North qld
Perth

All bold moves

meanwhile super league

two clubs in hull
Cas and wakey
Gastehead killed off
Wales died off
Bradford almost broke
Etc
Haha auckland rl city, nq rl heartland, hardly expansionist is it? At least SL has had a go at expanding. Paris, wales, Sheffield, Gateshead, London, Toronto all given a chance.
Meanwhile nrl despite all its wealth has Melbourne and……… crickets. I don’t think I’d be taking advice from nrl about how to expand to new markets lol
Just need some expansion Clubs to actually sustain themselves In SL!

Wb1234

Referee
Haha auckland rl city, nq rl heartland, hardly expansionist is it? At least SL has had a go at expanding. Paris, wales, Sheffield, Gateshead, London, Toronto all given a chance.
Meanwhile nrl despite all its wealth has Melbourne and……… crickets. I don’t think I’d be taking advice from nrl about how to expand to new markets lol
Nrl would never have hull kr Leigh and Wakey in it

heck there are parts of the English game that want to kick out catalans

charging them 500k to play in the challenge cup is a low act

the fact London and toulose had to bear Bradford and fev at a chance for super league shows how backward your game is

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Your beloved sport has moved to 2 new markets with zero, zip, nada, nil chance of anything else. Hardly revolutionary.

Lol and bless etc.

Perth Red

Post Whore
One thing is for sure next year there will be an expansion club in SL with a better chance than ever to stay there. That’s to be celebrated.
Ironically the end of P&R that gives them a fighting chance means it won’t happen again for a very long time.

Perth Red

Post Whore
My guess at how the licensing scores might play out end of next season. Be interesting To see when they actually announce them so clubs know if they are staying up or going down.

Criteria
Fandom (25%): Cas - Toulouse - Wakey - London
Performance (25%): Cas - who ever gets promoted - wakey - team not promoted
Finances (25%): cas - whoever gets promoted will have a bigger revenue stream- wakey - team not promoted
Stadium (15%): Toulouse - London - Wakey - cas
Catchment (10%): London/Toulouse - wakey - cas

So all in all it’s hard to see the promoted team get bettered in the licence by wakey. Not the year to be relegated! Also hard to see the non promoted team or Wakey beating cas

London will average far less than Toulouse will in 2024. I hope we see the SL increase to 14 to accomodate both and 1 more from Wakie or Bradford.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Toulouse has sooooo much more potential as a club than London it isn't funny, not to mention an easy win in the wholistic debate as to who should be in for the betterment of the game.

I'm desperately hoping for Toulouse and Dragons to get up, but if I had to pick from the two results it would be Toulouse.

jason taylor

Bench
We’re getting close to two decades of Catalans in Super League. Would love to see an analysis of their impact in terms of players developed, fans/membership ect.

Ideally the game needs both London and Toulouse in Super League in order to grow long term.

London - yes they were previously in for a long time with middling results, but you need a team in the south of England, and the collapse of Skolars makes a high profile London team even more pertinent.

Toulouse - it’s a long shot, but another French team long term would only benefit the grassroots game in France, and perhaps eventually lead to a TV deal in France to bring more money into the game.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Wigan winner again. This promotion relegation has led to an uneven competition where the best teams end up with the best talent, becoming the best team with the best talent and we have the same 2 or 3 teams winning every year..
The end to this system will see the likes of London or Toulouse being able to make long term investments not just with players but financial backers and investors.
It's going to take 20 years but eventually bigger cities will have access to higher population, bigger corporate support and backers as thier fan base alongside their talent pool has the potential for growth!
Wigan will be Wigan..
But a Toulouse or London today has the potential for growth and room to be a far greater club than a Wigan.

Probably why those in the north of England have rallied so hard against it.
They have lost and now a new era for the game can begin!
Let's have
Dublin!
Birmingham!
Toulouse!
London!
Toronto!

Let's unleash our games potential!