What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toulouse or London Promoted to SL!!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wigan winner again. This promotion relegation has led to an uneven competition where the best teams end up with the best talent, becoming the best team with the best talent and we have the same 2 or 3 teams winning every year..
The end to this system will see the likes of London or Toulouse being able to make long term investments not just with players but financial backers and investors.
It's going to take 20 years but eventually bigger cities will have access to higher population, bigger corporate support and backers as thier fan base alongside their talent pool has the potential for growth!
Wigan will be Wigan..
But a Toulouse or London today has the potential for growth and room to be a far greater club than a Wigan.

Probably why those in the north of England have rallied so hard against it.
They have lost and now a new era for the game can begin!
Let's have
Dublin!
Birmingham!
Toulouse!
London!
Toronto!

Let's unleash our games potential!
Yeh because that never happens in nrl, or when SL has had licensing lol

Nuke

Staff member
Well there you go. London win a close one
18-14.
I didn't see that coming, especially after 15mins or so and Toulouse leading 12-nil.

TDD91

Juniors
Even more impressive considering London's part time status for the last couple years. I'd love to see them get a good cash injection and build on this.

Nuke

Staff member
And a new logo while they're at it. Their current one is a shocker.

TDD91

Juniors
They've still got a good shot at getting in Super League with the IMG process. Success in the Championship next season will give them the points edge over someone like Castleford.

Could even see 2025 being a 14 team comp, which I'd say would have them safely in.

greg

Juniors
They've still got a good shot at getting in Super League with the IMG process. Success in the Championship next season will give them the points edge over someone like Castleford.

Could even see 2025 being a 14 team comp, which I'd say would have them safely in.
I hope so. London and Toulouse both need to be there

jason taylor

Bench
Wigan winner again. This promotion relegation has led to an uneven competition where the best teams end up with the best talent, becoming the best team with the best talent and we have the same 2 or 3 teams winning every year..
The end to this system will see the likes of London or Toulouse being able to make long term investments not just with players but financial backers and investors.
It's going to take 20 years but eventually bigger cities will have access to higher population, bigger corporate support and backers as thier fan base alongside their talent pool has the potential for growth!
Wigan will be Wigan..
But a Toulouse or London today has the potential for growth and room to be a far greater club than a Wigan.

Probably why those in the north of England have rallied so hard against it.
They have lost and now a new era for the game can begin!
Let's have
Dublin!
Birmingham!
Toulouse!
London!
Toronto!

Let's unleash our games potential!
Probably will take another 10+ years for Birmingham, but the Midland Hurricanes are slowly building. Constant ground changes don’t help though, which is the curse of most sides trying to build outside of the northern heartland of League.

The West Midlands is a much more sensible area of investment for League than a Dublin team or a revived Toronto imo - particularly if getting a better UK TV deal is an immediate short/medium term goal to secure the viability/growth of the game. I may be wrong regarding the state of the game in Dublin, but parachuting a Dublin team into Super League instantly reminds me of the failed Paris team in the 90s.

Well done to London. It’s a remarkable result given where they finished on the ladder in the regular season. Upsets like this rarely happen in League over here.

taste2taste

Juniors
What does the future hold for Toulouse I wonder with no more promotion and relegation?

wouldn’t be surprised if they called it a day after this defeat.
I was thinking the same, what's the piont of continuing if there's no hope of being promoted.

Toulouse might be better going back to the Elite 1 domestic comp.

taste2taste

Juniors

I feel as though Toulouse being promoted would have been the better result as London are almost guaranteed a spot under IMG....especially if what Pryce said during commentary is correct, that league is growing well on London.

Victoire

Juniors
t5_09ter_napoleon_fontainebleau_full-tt-width-637-height-911-crop-1-bgcolor-ffffff-lazyload-0.jpg

Gobsmacked

Bench
I feel as though Toulouse being promoted would have been the better result as London are almost guaranteed a spot under IMG....especially if what Pryce said during commentary is correct, that league is growing well on London.
What happened with Toronto is what we should be hoping for: the opportunity for Rich backers from large metropolitan areas investing heavily in their play things..
Toronto had great crowds, vig financial clout and a large geographical area to grow- they gave the comp a prestige.
Let hope we get this with Toulouse and London.
I hope Toronto throws their hat back into the ring.
As much as I enjoy watching Liegh and others do well, a small village does not belong in the top flight of a serious competition.

Wb1234

Referee
What happened with Toronto is what we should be hoping for: the opportunity for Rich backers from large metropolitan areas investing heavily in their play things..
Toronto had great crowds, vig financial clout and a large geographical area to grow- they gave the comp a prestige.
Let hope we get this with Toulouse and London.
I hope Toronto throws their hat back into the ring.
As much as I enjoy watching Liegh and others do well, a small village does not belong in the top flight of a serious competition.
Super league did a study and determined that having a team in the city of Toronto offered nothing to them commercially

they had ottowa and New York ready to join league one too

Gobsmacked

Bench
Super league did a study and determined that having a team in the city of Toronto offered nothing to them commercially

they had ottowa and New York ready to join league one too
You mean small English clubs were threatened by the game becoming bigger than them..

taste2taste

Juniors
You mean small English clubs were threatened by the game becoming bigger than them..
No not at all ! Super League clubs were allowed to vote if they wanted Toronto in the SL, the clubs thought long and hard about the long term positives and how having Toronto and other North American cities could grow the pie... and they correctly decided that Toronto offered nothing to the Super League and they voted them out.

Why do people keep saying that the clubs voted for self preservation?

^ sarcasm obviously