What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trade Ivan to Penrith for 2019

I think it's all turned out great for us so I don't hate Ivan. It's a similar situation to Sharon leaving. We come out of the situation in a better state. Unfortunately Ivan did recruit pretty poorly in some ways but we will get over that.

Our dark and dodgy management had a good day out when they reached out and snared the madgster.

He needs 4 years to win us a gf though.

One thing he doesn’t do is lie.

That is a pretty big ask of any coach. We should be aiming for that but I just want to see consistently good decisions made and a professional team.

I figure if we get the process right we have a chance to win a comp.

I think that’s true. It’s a whole-of-club approach in many ways. From recruiting good juniors, grabbing a few marquees, workable game plans etc.

But the holy grail is lifting the performance of current players and we be seeing some pleasing improvements there.

Madge brought, was it 8 or more new players into the bunnies in his two years before grand finaling

Last edited:
Being self banned from other wt forums has proved very traumatic for me, almost as bad as losing against the dogsters.

I said we would win and win easily, I certainly got my come uppence and let myself down.

I feel very bad about giving false hope and being way too confident. I’ve let the forum down. It’s a grim and dark place. I jinxed us for sure.

In a nutshell, my feelings this week replicate those of ivan.

But, at least my infidelity lasts only one week because the promise I made was limited in scope and nature. It was a promise of opportunity with some basis in fact.

But ivan, he has to live with the scourge of a disrupted conscience now and forever.

I see him at the press conferences trying to be genuine etc but none of what he said, can be believed. It’s all bile and meh. Deranged psycho babble from a trench hopper.

He is by his own conduct untrustworthy and has no place amongst us.

I call upon ivan to step down and commit himself to good deeds towards the west’s tigers for 2 years.

After such penance, I will forgive and I will forget.

Both of us need to move on ivan. You need to take the first step.

I have until the weekend to finish my sentence. I have learnt my lesson ....and I hope ivan has too.

gordsy

Juniors
Who gives a shit what he's saying about anything. .he left us in better shape than when he came ...he's there..we're ok...move on
Do you mean that we were able to punt him early and sign Madge because the signing he's stuck us with are awful. Packer, Matss, Mybe, Reynolds. Fonua, the ididot that failed the drug test amongst others.

Tiger05

First Grade
Do you mean that we were able to punt him early and sign Madge because the signing he's stuck us with are awful. Packer, Matss, Mybe, Reynolds. Fonua, the ididot that failed the drug test amongst others.

We have a lot of dodgy contacts on our books don't we.

Queensland should have “ the corrupt state” on their number plates and it’s about time they brexited off and we annex New Zealand.

Even so, it was pleasing to see ivan lose an important crunch game.

Both coaches had betrayed their clubs last year except seibs held back from lying.

Our roster is a dogs breakfast, with $3-$4m tied up in nuffyness.

But even so, a couple of blokes are giving their all and I am proud of them.

Das Hassler

Bench

No..i mean go back and look at how we were prior to his universally applauded arrival...cap included. As for his signings...find me one post ( there may well be one) that didnt hail "hard man"packer's signing...the guy everyone was frothing over who was going to belt little mitch ..etc etc. Matalino...also a mostly approved signing of a "no nonsense prop".....Fanua a depth signing like every club has...how about Thompson ( on low money) and Matterson....do they cancel a couple out?
I'm glad Ivan's gone but prior to his arrival we WERE a train wreck that couldnt attract anyone beyond those we got. Emotion fogs the lens

Just to add....find me a bunch of posts complaining of anything about him PRIOR to his WT backstab...i doubt you'll find many

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
No..i mean go back and look at how we were prior to his universally applauded arrival...cap included. As for his signings...find me one post ( there may well be one) that didnt hail "hard man"packer's signing...the guy everyone was frothing over who was going to belt little mitch ..etc etc. Matalino...also a mostly approved signing of a "no nonsense prop".....Fanua a depth signing like every club has...how about Thompson ( on low money) and Matterson....do they cancel a couple out?
I'm glad Ivan's gone but prior to his arrival we WERE a train wreck that couldnt attract anyone beyond those we got. Emotion fogs the lens

Just to add....find me a bunch of posts complaining of anything about him PRIOR to his WT backstab...i doubt you'll find many

Matterson and Thompson cancel out the poor contracts but it's not that simple. The problem is that Cleary signed Reynolds, Matulino and Packer on top dollar long term contracts. The top dollar may have been okay but not the long terms that they signed for.

I liked Cleary prior to him leaving and I don't hate him now. I just think some of those long term contracts are killing us. I don't believe the line we couldn't attract anyone. Players worry about their pay packets. That is the no 1 priority. You pay them well and they will come.

Das Hassler

Bench
No...not true...even Pearce and Connor Watson wouldn't have come to WT under gunpoint ..couldnt even hang onto the so called "big three" we lost

Tiger05

First Grade
No...not true...even Pearce and Connor Watson wouldn't have come to WT under gunpoint ..couldnt even hang onto the so called "big three" we lost

We got Matterson didn't we. We got Mbye. Reynolds, Packer, Matulino and McQueen are all players that would have had offers from other clubs. I suppose you could just think we are screwed for life because we support the Tigers. If that is what you want to think I suppose that is your call but I don't see it that way.

Das Hassler

Bench
Not a matter of what I think...Pearce and Conner both said thanks but no way....McQueen is pre Ivan.....the kiwis are on 3 year deals....Packer came from a club that desperately wanted him to stay and Matalino moved his family to another country. ...how short a deal would either of them have been expected to do that for?.... If you have a bit of time to do some reading go back to pages 9 - 15 and have a look at the thoughts around the signings of the kiwis...mbye...reynolds right up untill the "mid season '18 review" thread....
Ivan had been here for over a year and not long before he pulled his stunt. So again...not just what i think...you....99% of others including myself supported the signings against the backdrop of what WT was....a back page / jackal feeding mainstay

Tiger05

First Grade
Das - yep we got it wrong. I get what you are stating. The only thing we can do is get it right going forward. I just think we can get players. We just have to be smart about it but it's a risk no matter what.

Das Hassler

Bench
Yep...but getting it right is always a view in hindsight.
Here's my take on Ivan Cleary....his leaving for penrith aside for a moment....i still believe he's a good coach and i think that any objective person would consider his time up untill "the thing" happened a successful time at WT. ...we fell off the cliff to finish 9th AFTER he'd distracted himself and destabilised the playing group when the Nathan nonsense and subsequent Ivan going rumours took hold...we missed the finals when he lost 100% focus on WT.. Now....while i believe Ivan CAN be a winning coach i dont believe he knows how to deal with childish morons and has no idea how to turn them around ..he only knows how to work with a no dickhead roster and i think his post Brisbane loss comments aluded to more than just onfield decision making. Part of Ricky Stewart's love of bringing poms in is to have a grown men dressing room...as Fittler observed that group of poms have forced the young guys to grow up...on and off the field...Whighton perhaps the most profound example. Laugh if you want but i believe that Cleary could have succeeded here though i'm happy to have Madge who HAS won competions

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
Yep...but getting it right is always a view in hindsight.

I agree.

As for your take on Cleary I honestly have no problems with him. I reckon Cleary and Madge both appear to be good coaches. I don't even care about Cleary dogging us. It doesn't bother me. Turdesco burns because he was such a good player. Moses also looks to be playing pretty well which sucks because he is a turd.

stryker

First Grade
I was one of the few who didnt stroke myself silly over Ivan with all his bus bullshit. Our attack went backwards under his watch. He did attract a lot of known players here, thats true but he got f**k all out of any of them. He is mediocre at best as a coach.
Madge has done no better...he will end up hated here as well.

Fordy20

Juniors
I was one of the few who didnt stroke myself silly over Ivan with all his bus bullshit. Our attack went backwards under his watch. He did attract a lot of known players here, thats true but he got f**k all out of any of them. He is mediocre at best as a coach.
Madge has done no better...he will end up hated here as well.

I reckon Madge will get punted before he has a chance to do anything with the mess he's inherited, just like Potter before him.