What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trent Barrett

Smirrors

Juniors
If and when we get a new coach I would like to see him get an opportunity with our players before we write them off. Seeing Des transform the Manly team gives me hope that whatever coach we bring will have the same effect.

That said I would not want Barrett but if he is given the opportunity I will be happy to give him 2 years to show whether he has it in him. Will be his final opportunity given what happened at Manly.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I though Barrett did ok at Manly with the squad he had. The Trabojvic brothers seem to love him and he only got screwed over by DCE when he defended him against Jackson Hastings then DCE threw Baz under the bus. Baz should not have trusted his capt I suppose. Jackson was acting like a tool apparently anyway like he has done at other clubs he has been too and Baz just had no time for it in the end.

Gus also had huge wraps on him and was gutted he left Panthers as he did a fantastic jib with those guys only for Griffin to screw them over with his dull style of footy.

In saying that Demitriou will kill it with whichever club he gets a chance to coach in the NRL. Unfortunately it won't be the Saints. Baz will be ahead on criteria as he was a Dragons capt like Browny and Mary were for the Dragons. Seems to be the criteria they look for. Price was a Bennett recommendation you cannot blame the club for that bad call.

Holbrook is getting chased now by the Titans and Dogs.

Slackboy72

Coach
If and when we get a new coach I would like to see him get an opportunity with our players before we write them off. Seeing Des transform the Manly team gives me hope that whatever coach we bring will have the same effect.

That said I would not want Barrett but if he is given the opportunity I will be happy to give him 2 years to show whether he has it in him. Will be his final opportunity given what happened at Manly.

This is Mary's real failing.
Player's aren't developing.
We have a lot of weak ex-20s and NSW cup players in the squad but they aren't getting better even with lots of NRL exposure. This is why we're losing games. We are sending out half a NSW cup squad and the improvement in those players is just not happening at the rate it should. Our pack gets battered. Our backline is impotent. Despite time to improve, they haven't.

Forget the game plans and bench use. Those things aren't really costing us.
What costs us is players not of NRL standard on the field. Those players aren't coming up to standard over time. And the players who are up to standard are getting worse.

merahputih

Juniors
This is Mary's real failing.
Player's aren't developing.
We have a lot of weak ex-20s and NSW cup players in the squad but they aren't getting better even with lots of NRL exposure. This is why we're losing games. We are sending out half a NSW cup squad and the improvement in those players is just not happening at the rate it should. Our pack gets battered. Our backline is impotent. Despite time to improve, they haven't.

Forget the game plans and bench use. Those things aren't really costing us.
What costs us is players not of NRL standard on the field. Those players aren't coming up to standard over time. And the players who are up to standard are getting worse.
The exception that proves the rule is ,of course Zac Lomax who seems to have so much natural ability and physical attributes that he came through our system regardless and looks like having a real future at the top level. The contrast with us and sides like the Roosters, Storm and Souths is stark. There is not one player who you could point to and say he thrived under McGregor's guidence.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Not sure if Barrett is the answer to our coaching woes maybe he is ...but what concerns me is he didnt cut the mustard at Manly for whatever the reason ....Hasler steps back in and straight away results....want nothing better than to get rid of McGregor but is Trent the answer....thought early in the piece McGregor was a step up from Price but didnt take long to extinguish those thoughts either

Smirrors

Juniors
I though Barrett did ok at Manly with the squad he had. The Trabojvic brothers seem to love him and he only got screwed over by DCE when he defended him against Jackson Hastings then DCE threw Baz under the bus. Baz should not have trusted his capt I suppose. Jackson was acting like a tool apparently anyway like he has done at other clubs he has been too and Baz just had no time for it in the end.

Gus also had huge wraps on him and was gutted he left Panthers as he did a fantastic jib with those guys only for Griffin to screw them over with his dull style of footy.

I had a look at Barretts time over at Manly and its quite baffling. He had the same squad if not better than what Des had and less injuries. Both Trbojevics had already made origin too. No major changes other than losing Shaun Lane who was apparently one of their best players and try scorers.

On paper they are similar to us, decent enough roster, rep forwards, rep half. But Des has them clicking for some reason. Mary is the issue for us and I dont think Barrett will be any better.

As for your comment about Anthony Griffin, I cant exactly agree either.

You just have to look at the stats! He took them to the top 8 first two years. In his final year he was sacked while on 65% win percentage and arguably if he kept going they would have finished higher. And this is considering all the background BS that would have been going on.

In conclusion both Barrett and Griffin aren't top tier coaches.

possm

Coach
Word from my trusted circle of friends is that the Board is about to terminate Marys contract and appoint Trent Barrett as our new head coach. Apparently this is likely to happen within the next two weeks; I certainly hope so.

What are your feelings about Barrett being appointed head coach?

Word from my trusted circle of friends is that the Board is about to terminate Marys contract and appoint Trent Barrett as our new head coach. Apparently this is likely to happen within the next two weeks; I certainly hope so.

I hope you're wrong, possm. But it is the Dragon's way. The vicious cycle continues.

Why is it so hard to recruit the best coach available? Barrett is not that coach.

Straight Shooter

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

Dragons4me

Juniors

I'd be more keen to know what you're trusted circle of friends feel about this.

Coffs dragon

Bench

I don't know what circle your friends are in, but there definitely needs action with replacing Mary. The players look lost, jaded and void of confidence or belief.
Whilst Barrett would not be my choice, at least he is a significant improvement on Mary and has far more experience with the Panthers, Sea Eagles and Country NSW Representative teams.
As long as he listens to constructive advice from Piers and assistants plus selects players in form rather than seniority....then it's worth a shot.
Anything is better than the peanut driving our club backwards into the ground!