What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

triple m news said nsw 40 man squad has been announced

nqcowboy87

Bench
james mcmanus does he qualify because he played jf for the knights
and i always thought michael gordon was a queensland junior

TimmyB

Juniors
Agree on McManus, bloody good winger. One of those blokes who is just a good footballer. No superstar, but good head on his shoulders.

JT_

Juniors
Now that Stewart is gone Gidley is definitely the no. 1. So that opens up a strong bench of forwards. Craig Wing deserved to be in there, Michael Robertson wtf heck no?! Not surprised to see Mason in he's just coming back from injury but am surprised with Anasta's exclusion. Thats good for us though we need him to focus on Roosters only.

Lambretta

First Grade
Why is that surprising Slackboy ?

They deserve it, especially Weyman & Creagh.

Right. Can someone please explain to me what is so wonderful about Ben Creagh?

He is the most 1 dimensional player I have ever seen play Rugby League. He is able to do a hit up - his average is 14 per game so far this season - and he doesn't miss tackles. OK, so he hardly bothers tackling, making a piss poor 19 per game on average this season - but when he does bother, he rarely misses.... which is a good thing.

Number of offloads this season in 6 games??? Go on, guess. 4 and all of those were made in the SAME GAME. That's 5 games, 70 hit ups and NOT ONE SINGLE OFFLOAD.

Seriously, and people are lauding him as an Origin player? Don't make me laugh.

Case in point - in the Dragons loss on the weekend. On the penultimate play of the game - the Dragons were down by 6 and there was 12 seconds left on the clock and 40 metres to go. The Dragons were passing the ball along the line, probing for a weakness. Soward passed the ball to Creagh and ran behind him looking for the run around as the defensive line was cracking. So what did Mr 1 dimension do????? Yep, he ran to the line and took the tackle. HE RAN STRAIGHT AT THREE PEOPLE. There wasnt a hope of a bust where he ran. He destroyed the one chance the Dragons had. He didnt look like he was going to offload. He NEVER DOES. The defence know exactly what he is going to do every single time he gets the ball.

He doesnt create confusion in opposition defences, he creates knowledge that he will use up another tackle.

Queensland are praying he is picked for New South Wales.

If he is, then the selectors don't watch Rugby League.

BWNB

First Grade
Why the hell is Cooper there, i know its not the side but fmd he has done nothing.
When will he return from injury?

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Jarryd Hayne (Eels)
Ryan Hoffman (Storm)
Jamie Lyon (Sea Eagles)
Luke O'Donnell (Cowboys)
Mitchell Pearce (Roosters)
Michael Robertson (Sea Eagles)
David Williams (Sea Eagles)

None of these players should be there. Hayne especially. He has done sweet FA all year.

coach

Luke Bailey (Titans), Terry Campese (Raiders), Matt Cooper (Dragons), Ben Creagh (Dragons), Ben Cross (Knights), Michael Ennis (Bulldogs), Robbie Farah (Wests Tigers), Paul Gallen (Sharks), Keith Galloway (Wests Tigers), Kurt Gidley (Knights), Michael Jennings (Panthers), Brent Kite (Sea Eagles), Anthony Laffranchi (Titans), Chris Lawrence (Wests Tigers), Luke Lewis (Panthers), Jamie Lyon (Sea Eagles), James McManus (Knights), Joel Monaghan (Raiders), Josh Morris (Bulldogs), Jarrod Mullen (Knights), Luke O'Donnell (Cowboys), Mitchell Pearce (Roosters), Josh Perry (Sea Eagles), Justin Poore (Dragons), Anthony Quinn (Storm), Michael Robertson (Sea Eagles), Glenn Stewart (Sea Eagles), John Sutton (Rabbitohs), Peter Wallace (Broncos), Trent Waterhouse (Panthers), Anthony Watmough (Sea Eagles), Michael Weyman (Dragons), David Williams (Sea Eagles).

I have cut it down to a more reasonable 33 men squad.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/roosters-snubbed-for-origin/2009/04/21/1240079653254.html[/quote]

Raider_69

Post Whore
Selections i like:
Colin Best (Rabbitohs): Outstanding form this year and last, he's tall, so can combat the QLD outside backs
Ben Creagh (Dragons): Should have played years ago, he's a gun
Keith Galloway (Wests Tigers): One of the form front rowers atm, used to think he was a powder puff, he's going well this year
Michael Jennings (Panthers): Close to a given but was an outside chance to miss the squad, future NSW staple
James McManus (Knights): Most under-rated player in the comp, we could do worse then Jimmy Mac on the wing this series. Safe as a bank
Mark Minichiello (Titans): Been playing super footy since going to the Titans. Excellent player
Josh Morris (Bulldogs): Injured now but sound selection rewarding excellent form
Justin Poore (Dragons): Supurb form for the Dragons, Weyman's getting all the credit, Poore's been awesome
Alan Tongue (Raiders): Should be our lock this year, a crime he hasnt played state footy before
Trent Waterhouse (Panthers): His form this year has been outstanding.

Selections i dont like:
Ryan Hoffman (Storm): Pretender at this level, been tired and found wanting, was Hunt's bitch in 08
Jamie Lyon (Sea Eagles): Why pick a bloke who doesnt want to play?
Anthony Quinn (Storm): Terrible player
Michael Robertson (Sea Eagles): Looks good at the end of Manly's backline but is actually a very average player

The rest i think we're pretty much assured.

adamkungl

Immortal
Jarryd Hayne (Eels)
Ryan Hoffman (Storm)
Jamie Lyon (Sea Eagles)
Luke O'Donnell (Cowboys)
Mitchell Pearce (Roosters)
Michael Robertson (Sea Eagles)
David Williams (Sea Eagles)

None of these players should be there. Hayne especially. He has done sweet FA all year.

Hayne is there simply because we are that starved for good wingers.
Same with Wolfman and Robertson.
O'Donnell I don't know how his form's been.

The only ones I have issue with are:
Stewart and Morris - both injured, likely til the end of the series.
Lyon - doesn't want anything to do with it

Ridiculous that Anasta hasn't at least been named in the training squad, you can bitch and moan all you want but the fact remains that he is in great form.

And Pearce, Gaba drop the stupid agenda, no one wants to read how much you don't rate Pearce and 6 different posts in the same thread. He is the form halfback in NSW at the moment. Wallace has been less than impressive for the last few weeks.

Last edited:

Raider_69

Post Whore
Why the hell is Cooper there, i know its not the side but fmd he has done nothing.
When will he return from injury?

NSW man of the series in 08
the best defensive centre in the game. Has done the job for us year after year in badly beaten sides

He deserves his spot

Lambretta

First Grade
And Pearce, Gaba drop the stupid agenda, no one wants to read how much you don't rate Pearce and 6 different posts in the same thread. He is the form halfback in NSW at the moment. Wallace has been less than impressive for the last few weeks.

Yes, but Wallace DOESNT play for the Roosters and therefore deserves to start for Origin.

We need our playmakers playing for the Roosters - we need to win NRL games. Priorities mate ;)

Godz Illa

Coach
Hilarious Lambretta. Congrats on going out on a limb, it's amusing to watch when the limb is so tenuous and relies solely on arbitrary stats. Creagh is the perfect backrower. His wide-running is a nightmare for opposition defences on a number of fronts: 1) strong and very difficult to to bring down even two-on-one, meaning he can punch through a defensive line/carry defenders/score tries 2) coupled with the strength is the speed he hits the advantage line with, usually requiring a legs tackle from defenders, resulting in regular quick play the balls and/or penalties for holding too long. As a defender, his technique is probably in the top 2 or 3 in the game, allowing him to make dominant, one-on-one tackles on a regular basis.

tiger_nick

Bench
NSW man of the series in 08
the best defensive centre in the game. Has done the job for us year after year in badly beaten sides

He deserves his spot

im all for a clean out of the last 3 years, however i agree on cooper, if one player deserves to keep their spot its him.

Alan Tongue you are a pharoah.

Would of liked to of seen big Tom Learoyd-Lahrs up in there. He's versatile in the young Paul Harrogan mould, he can play prop & second-row, he's huge and he's an animal.

LOL @ Mason missing out.

Lambretta

First Grade
Hilarious Lambretta. Congrats on going out on a limb, it's amusing to watch when the limb is so tenuous and relies solely on arbitrary stats. Creagh is the perfect backrower. His wide-running is a nightmare for opposition defences on a number of fronts: 1) strong and very difficult to to bring down even two-on-one, meaning he can punch through a defensive line/carry defenders/score tries 2) coupled with the strength is the speed he hits the advantage line with, usually requiring a legs tackle from defenders, resulting in regular quick play the balls and/or penalties for holding too long. As a defender, his technique is probably in the top 2 or 3 in the game, allowing him to make dominant, one-on-one tackles on a regular basis.

Thanks for that mate. I always wondered why everyone raves about him so much. I guess I just hadnt noticed all the work he obviously does. 19 tackles a game and 0 offloads just doesn't seem to make him all that "perfect" - but I bow to your judgement until I have watched him more some more.

But if he punches through defensive lines, why doesnt he offload? It would make him a far more effective player.

It will be interesting to see how his game develops under Wayne Bennett's leadership.

petetheileet

First Grade
Right. Can someone please explain to me what is so wonderful about Ben Creagh?

He is the most 1 dimensional player I have ever seen play Rugby League. He is able to do a hit up - his average is 14 per game so far this season - and he doesn't miss tackles. OK, so he hardly bothers tackling, making a piss poor 19 per game on average this season - but when he does bother, he rarely misses.... which is a good thing.

Number of offloads this season in 6 games??? Go on, guess. 4 and all of those were made in the SAME GAME. That's 5 games, 70 hit ups and NOT ONE SINGLE OFFLOAD.

Seriously, and people are lauding him as an Origin player? Don't make me laugh.

Case in point - in the Dragons loss on the weekend. On the penultimate play of the game - the Dragons were down by 6 and there was 12 seconds left on the clock and 40 metres to go. The Dragons were passing the ball along the line, probing for a weakness. Soward passed the ball to Creagh and ran behind him looking for the run around as the defensive line was cracking. So what did Mr 1 dimension do????? Yep, he ran to the line and took the tackle. HE RAN STRAIGHT AT THREE PEOPLE. There wasnt a hope of a bust where he ran. He destroyed the one chance the Dragons had. He didnt look like he was going to offload. He NEVER DOES. The defence know exactly what he is going to do every single time he gets the ball.

He doesnt create confusion in opposition defences, he creates knowledge that he will use up another tackle.

Queensland are praying he is picked for New South Wales.

If he is, then the selectors don't watch Rugby League.

Ok that was pretty bad

i think we have learnt more about you than Creagh from your post

allow me to retort!

First of all there would not be another wide running second rower in the NRL that would bend the line back as much as Creagh and lets face it he's got some speed behind him so if i want some one to hit a hole i know who id be looking at!

He stings players in defense, and stings players trying to tackle him!

ok now for some undeniable facts:

he has played every minute of every dragons game this season

he has made more meters than any other back rower in the competition this season.

No other forward in the NRL has made more line breaks than him.

Has made 3 times as many tackle breaks (16) than missed tackles (5) No other NSW forward can match this.

Sure he hasn't made a mountain of tackles, but if you were taking on the dragons would you direct a lot of traffic down the left side with Creagh and Cooper there???

Now lets see who else nsw have got that might be better:

Odonnell
Stewart
Hoffman
Laffranci
Gallen

all of these players have missed more tackles than Creagh this season (Creagh has spent more time on the field than all of them) some of them with double and tripple the missed tackles.

None of them have made the amount of line breaks or tackles breaks as Creagh has. Only O'Donnell has made half the amount of line breaks, all the rest have made less than half.

Creagh has also made more meters than any of them

So to me it looks like these guys who played for Australia and NSW last year cant hold a candle to Creagh.

Offloads...

Does it look like Bennett has instructed his pack to keep the ball alive?

i dont think so, they havnt needed to, they have dominated nearly every pack they have come up against. Id say the Saints have been instructed to keep their offloads to a minimum. If someone does 4 in one game and none in 5 other games it seems to me he can follow a game plan. If someone can make four in game i am pretty sure he is a able to utilise the skill. Its called discipline.

Versatility...

I front rower gets taken out 10 mins into the match. Out of all these if need be i think Creagh could play front row best.

Watch the games look at the stats and perhaps grow a brain. On the first 6 rounds this season its clear the the NSW back row should be Creagh, Watmough and Waterhouse.

Pete.

petetheileet

First Grade
Cooper has been NSW most consistent and best performer for the last 2 - 3 years.

He will be able to conrol Hodges and Falou better than anyone else and he will score given the chance....

he would be probably the only one who could be penciled in now!

simmo1

First Grade
A number of players are there that don't deserve it, but it doesn't really matter as 23 of those blokes won't be playing anyway.

What I can't believe is that Michael Gordon isn't there. IMO one of the most underrated players in the game, and I could easily see him doing the job for NSW. Not a bad goalkicker either.

Latest posts