What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

triple m news said nsw 40 man squad has been announced

mongoose

Coach
anthony quinn... really? he has proven he is a dead set liability.

I can see folau now when he sees quinn in the squad------>\\\\:D/

TimmyB

Juniors
Hilarious Lambretta. Congrats on going out on a limb, it's amusing to watch when the limb is so tenuous and relies solely on arbitrary stats. Creagh is the perfect backrower. His wide-running is a nightmare for opposition defences on a number of fronts: 1) strong and very difficult to to bring down even two-on-one, meaning he can punch through a defensive line/carry defenders/score tries 2) coupled with the strength is the speed he hits the advantage line with, usually requiring a legs tackle from defenders, resulting in regular quick play the balls and/or penalties for holding too long. As a defender, his technique is probably in the top 2 or 3 in the game, allowing him to make dominant, one-on-one tackles on a regular basis.

You forgot that he also died for our sins.

adamkungl

Immortal
Alan Tongue you are a pharoah.

Would of liked to of seen big Tom Learoyd-Lahrs up in there. He's versatile in the young Paul Harrogan mould, he can play prop & second-row, he's huge and he's an animal.

LOL @ Mason missing out.

tbh not even Roosters fans think he deserves to play rep footy at this stage.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
1. Kurt Gidley - Stewart is out injured. logical choice.
2. Joel Monaghan - Size will combat QLD big backs.
3. Michael Jennings - Speedster, pick for future
4. Matt Cooper - old head, been there done that. Great in defense.
5. Chris Lawrence - See Jennings
6. Terry Campese - Better choice then Anasta and Barret. New blood.
7. Peter Wallace - Form no.7 in the comp. Just ahead of Mullen.

8. Brent Kite - Great work rate.
9. Robbie Farah - Deserves his spot over Ennis. Deserves his shot.
10. Luke Bailey - In the form of his life.
11. Anthony Lafranchi - One of the reason the titans are where they are.
12. Ben Creagh - can cover centre if someone goes down.
13. Allan Tongue - Well overdue. Tackling machine.

14. Ben Cross - Great aggression and size.
15. Michael Weyman - Will be the best prop in 2 years time.
16. Trent Waterhouse - recaptured the form that made him aussie rep.
17. Luke Lewis - Very versatile. Can play centre, in the halves or backrow.

Speed in the backs with a couple of seasoned vets. The halves are a gamble but the logical choice IMO. The front row is big, mobile and fast with 2 or 3 players capable of 80 minutes. Tongue should be selected in front of Gallen.

The bench is strong and rewards players in form.

No Gallen, Watmough, Stewart, O'donnell. No Anasta.

John Sutton would be my emergency player.

Apey

Staff member
Like others have mentioned, huge congrats to McManus for making the squad. No way will he actually make the side, but it's good to see a real quiet achiever get some recognition. He might not be the best attacking winger, but defensively (in the air especially) he's fantastic.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
1. Kurt Gidley - Stewart is out injured. logical choice.
2. Joel Monaghan - Size will combat QLD big backs.
3. Michael Jennings - Speedster, pick for future
4. Matt Cooper - old head, been there done that. Great in defense.
5. Chris Lawrence - See Jennings
6. Terry Campese - Better choice then Anasta and Barret. New blood.
7. Peter Wallace - Form no.7 in the comp. Just ahead of Mullen.

8. Brent Kite - Great work rate.
9. Robbie Farah - Deserves his spot over Ennis. Deserves his shot.
10. Luke Bailey - In the form of his life.
11. Anthony Lafranchi - One of the reason the titans are where they are.
12. Ben Creagh - can cover centre if someone goes down.
13. Allan Tongue - Well overdue. Tackling machine.

14. Ben Cross - Great aggression and size.
15. Michael Weyman - Will be the best prop in 2 years time.
16. Trent Waterhouse - recaptured the form that made him aussie rep.
17. Luke Lewis - Very versatile. Can play centre, in the halves or backrow.

I like it ! :D

mxlegend99

Referee
Based on the 40-man squad, form, fitness amd the selections which are almost guaranteed. This would be my team:

1. Kurt Gidley (c)
There's very little competition at fullback. It was always going to be a battle between Stewart and Gidley. With Brett Stewart injured for the series, Kurt Gidley has no real competition and will probably be the first player picked now. He'd be my captain to avoid it falling to someone like Gallen.

2. Chris Lawrence
Amazingly fast player who would do well on the wing or in the centres for NSW. Has improved his defence over last season, and playing outside Michael Jennings would cause constant headaches for QLD. If these blokes backed each other up, any halfbreak would probably end up in a try.

3. Michael Jennings
In sensational form at the moment for the Panthers. Nearly everytime he touches the ball he is breaking tackles and creating opportunities that either himself or his winger can make plenty of metres from. With the right winger, those metres would definitely result in points.

4. Matt Cooper
He is almost guaranteed to be in the team for his defensive skills and experience for NSW in the past. Selectors seem to love the Dragons centres.

5. Joel Monaghan / Jarryd Hayne
Neither has set the world on fire this season. But both have been solid for NSW in the past. I rate both of them fairly highly and feel either one would do a decent job. If i were a selector i'd probably even have Monaghan in the centres ahead of Cooper and have Hayne outside him.

6. Terry Campese
Without doubt the best 5/8 running around for nearly an entire season now. Has been in sensational form and hugely responsible for the Raiders winning the games they have. He is very built for a 5/8 also, which the selectors seem to favour more then skill.

7. Peter Wallace
Not as skilled as the QLD halves, but he is a solid halfback who seems to shine when playing in the halves with a dominant playmaker. Terry Campese and Peter Wallace could be a great halves combination that would help NSW out for years to come.

8. Luke Bailey
NSW are never going to find a front row combination that stacks up against Petero and Price. But Bailey would have to be one of the closest players to being in the same mould as them. Older bloke with a great work ethic and plenty of experience. In good form at the moment also IMO.

9. Robbie Farah
IMO he should have been picked ahead of Bedsy last season and possibly the year before also. Has been one of the Tigers best players for several years now and deserves his chance at making an Origin debut. Should do much better in a team full of quality players.

10. Brent Kite
In a strong Manly forward pack, was probably one of the best players. If not the best. We need some proper front rowers who don't shy away from hard work. Brent Kite is exactly that.

11. Anthony Laffranchi
He is currently playing for one of the form teams in the NRL, and is largely responsible for them being where they are now. He and Luke Bailey are both inspirational players for their team.

12. Ben Creagh
Consistant player who averages a lot of tacklebreaks, linebreaks and eats up the metres each week. Can move to a few positions and play the entire 80 minutes if we need him to. Would probably try and get him to look to offload whenever he has the chance. If he is playing on the right side of the field, he could potentially have Lawrence, Jennings and Gidley all waiting to run off one of his offloads.

13. John Sutton
Has been in sensational form this season and deserves to be in the team. With the way Terry Campese has been playing at 5/8, he has been forced back to lock for mine. I don't like Paul Gallen, so he was never an option for me. It was between Sutton and Tongue. Both would do a fine job IMO.

14. Michael Weyman
Has been an absolute beast for the Dragons this season. He is a very big bloke that has a great attitude and is built for Origin IMO. Would offer a lot of impact from the bench and would go a long way toward boosting our front row.

15. Keith Galloway
Just like Michael Weyman, he has been in incredible form this season and pretty much come from nowhere to demand selection. These guys are inform and dserve a chance to represent their state. If they play half aswell for NSW as they do their clubs, they will do much better then our benchies have in previous seasons.

16. Trent Waterhouse
Might look a bit biased, but he is looking to be in career best form at the moment. Has bulked up considerably since last season and seems to have a new desire to play well every week. With him on the bench with Weyman and Galloway, we would only be field a stronger side when we used interchanges.

17. Luke Lewis
IMO Luke Lewis would have to be the best utility in the NRL. Can cover any position other then the front row, and puts in great performances without fail. In the above team i selected, his primary use would be in the backrow to keep all the blokes fresh and at their best. Would only look at moving him elsewhere if someone was injured.

Ladmate

Bench
Based on the 40-man squad, form, fitness amd the selections which are almost guaranteed. This would be my team:

1. Kurt Gidley (c)
There's very little competition at fullback. It was always going to be a battle between Stewart and Gidley. With Brett Stewart injured for the series, Kurt Gidley has no real competition and will probably be the first player picked now. He'd be my captain to avoid it falling to someone like Gallen.

2. Chris Lawrence
Amazingly fast player who would do well on the wing or in the centres for NSW. Has improved his defence over last season, and playing outside Michael Jennings would cause constant headaches for QLD. If these blokes backed each other up, any halfbreak would probably end up in a try.

3. Michael Jennings
In sensational form at the moment for the Panthers. Nearly everytime he touches the ball he is breaking tackles and creating opportunities that either himself or his winger can make plenty of metres from. With the right winger, those metres would definitely result in points.

4. Matt Cooper
He is almost guaranteed to be in the team for his defensive skills and experience for NSW in the past. Selectors seem to love the Dragons centres.

Neither has set the world on fire this season. But both have been solid for NSW in the past. I rate both of them fairly highly and feel either one would do a decent job. If i were a selector i'd probably even have Monaghan in the centres ahead of Cooper and have Hayne outside him.

6. Terry Campese
Without doubt the best 5/8 running around for nearly an entire season now. Has been in sensational form and hugely responsible for the Raiders winning the games they have. He is very built for a 5/8 also, which the selectors seem to favour more then skill.

7. Peter Wallace
Not as skilled as the QLD halves, but he is a solid halfback who seems to shine when playing in the halves with a dominant playmaker. Terry Campese and Peter Wallace could be a great halves combination that would help NSW out for years to come.

8. Luke Bailey
NSW are never going to find a front row combination that stacks up against Petero and Price. But Bailey would have to be one of the closest players to being in the same mould as them. Older bloke with a great work ethic and plenty of experience. In good form at the moment also IMO.

9. Robbie Farah
IMO he should have been picked ahead of Bedsy last season and possibly the year before also. Has been one of the Tigers best players for several years now and deserves his chance at making an Origin debut. Should do much better in a team full of quality players.

10. Brent Kite
In a strong Manly forward pack, was probably one of the best players. If not the best. We need some proper front rowers who don't shy away from hard work. Brent Kite is exactly that.

11. Anthony Laffranchi
He is currently playing for one of the form teams in the NRL, and is largely responsible for them being where they are now. He and Luke Bailey are both inspirational players for their team.

12. Ben Creagh
Consistant player who averages a lot of tacklebreaks, linebreaks and eats up the metres each week. Can move to a few positions and play the entire 80 minutes if we need him to. Would probably try and get him to look to offload whenever he has the chance. If he is playing on the right side of the field, he could potentially have Lawrence, Jennings and Gidley all waiting to run off one of his offloads.

13. John Sutton
Has been in sensational form this season and deserves to be in the team. With the way Terry Campese has been playing at 5/8, he has been forced back to lock for mine. I don't like Paul Gallen, so he was never an option for me. It was between Sutton and Tongue. Both would do a fine job IMO.

14. Michael Weyman
Has been an absolute beast for the Dragons this season. He is a very big bloke that has a great attitude and is built for Origin IMO. Would offer a lot of impact from the bench and would go a long way toward boosting our front row.

15. Keith Galloway
Just like Michael Weyman, he has been in incredible form this season and pretty much come from nowhere to demand selection. These guys are inform and dserve a chance to represent their state. If they play half aswell for NSW as they do their clubs, they will do much better then our benchies have in previous seasons.

16. Trent Waterhouse
Might look a bit biased, but he is looking to be in career best form at the moment. Has bulked up considerably since last season and seems to have a new desire to play well every week. With him on the bench with Weyman and Galloway, we would only be field a stronger side when we used interchanges.

17. Luke Lewis
IMO Luke Lewis would have to be the best utility in the NRL. Can cover any position other then the front row, and puts in great performances without fail. In the above team i selected, his primary use would be in the backrow to keep all the blokes fresh and at their best. Would only look at moving him elsewhere if someone was injured.

I would be stoked with that team, I would feel confident we can pull a win over QLD.

Spot

Juniors
Lawrence and Jennings should both be in there somewhere, as the speed they both possess cannot be taught. They are freaks compared to frauds such as Wolfman (please!!) and Quinn

Also, I knew Lawrence was quick but to see him run away from Slater last night was priceless. He even took the piss with a little bit of cramp at the end

mxlegend99

Referee
They should be paired up with each other. I don't really care which is centre and which is winger. Just make sure they're on the same side of the field and both back each other up. Would also be great if they had a backrower getting them easy metres and popping an offload for them. Although those blokes are more then capable of finding holes in the defence on their own.

I just hope we don't get with another "defensive" side. Our defensive teams never do well at defending. If our attack is good enough we might not have to do much defending anyway.

Spot

Juniors
They should be paired up with each other. I don't really care which is centre and which is winger. Just make sure they're on the same side of the field and both back each other up. Would also be great if they had a backrower getting them easy metres and popping an offload for them. Although those blokes are more then capable of finding holes in the defence on their own.

I just hope we don't get with another "defensive" side. Our defensive teams never do well at defending. If our attack is good enough we might not have to do much defending anyway.

I agree, hence I don't understand the fascination with Cooper due to his "defence"

hellteam

First Grade

1. Kurt Gidley (c)

2. Chris Lawrence

3. Michael Jennings

4. Matt Cooper

6. Terry Campese

7. Peter Wallace

8. Luke Bailey

9. Robbie Farah

10. Brent Kite

11. Anthony Laffranchi

12. Ben Creagh

13. John Sutton

14. Michael Weyman

15. Keith Galloway

16. Trent Waterhouse

17. Luke Lewis

mxlegend, I'm happy you are not a NSW selector :)

BWNB

First Grade
Luke Bailey (Titans), Terry Campese (Raiders), Matt Cooper (Dragons), Ben Creagh (Dragons), Ben Cross (Knights), Michael Ennis (Bulldogs), Robbie Farah (Wests Tigers), Paul Gallen (Sharks), Keith Galloway (Wests Tigers), Kurt Gidley (Knights), Michael Jennings (Panthers), Brent Kite (Sea Eagles), Anthony Laffranchi (Titans), Chris Lawrence (Wests Tigers), Luke Lewis (Panthers), Jamie Lyon (Sea Eagles), James McManus (Knights), Joel Monaghan (Raiders), Josh Morris (Bulldogs), Jarrod Mullen (Knights), Luke O'Donnell (Cowboys), Mitchell Pearce (Roosters), Josh Perry (Sea Eagles), Justin Poore (Dragons), Anthony Quinn (Storm), Michael Robertson (Sea Eagles), Glenn Stewart (Sea Eagles), John Sutton (Rabbitohs), Peter Wallace (Broncos), Trent Waterhouse (Panthers), Anthony Watmough (Sea Eagles), Michael Weyman (Dragons), David Williams (Sea Eagles).

I have cut it down to a more reasonable 33 men squad.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/roosters-snubbed-for-origin/2009/04/21/1240079653254.html
[/QUOTE]

If you were to choose out of Toops or Gallen on form you would choose Toops. On fire this year, well worth his 400k

Tommax25

Bench
Michael Robertson? Lordie me. He's a competent first grader, but to be named in what is essentially a train on squard for origin is terrifying for the depth of rugby league at the moment.

Now that Stewart is gone Gidley is definitely the no. 1. So that opens up a strong bench of forwards. Craig Wing deserved to be in there, Michael Robertson wtf heck no?! Not surprised to see Mason in he's just coming back from injury but am surprised with Anasta's exclusion. Thats good for us though we need him to focus on Roosters only.

I think this is a little harsh on robbo. I am not advocating for robertson to be in the final 17 for nsw whatsoever but comments like that are harsh. At wing he is super-solid, not flashy, but safe positionally and under the high ball, can cross for a try and is consistent. To be thought of in the top 6 or so nsw wingers is surely not as absurd as you guys make out is it? Or are my maroon and white coloured glasses on a little too tight?

choc_soldier

Coach
Happy with the 3 Panthers players in the squad - all well deserved.

Gordon was unlucky - but I think he may get a Country jumper this year (assuming that the 2 squads aren't picked from the 40).

Tommax25

Bench
Hayne is there simply because we are that starved for good wingers.
Same with Wolfman and Robertson.
O'Donnell I don't know how his form's been.

The only ones I have issue with are:
Stewart and Morris - both injured, likely til the end of the series.
Lyon - doesn't want anything to do with it

But did the selectors know that they were defintely injured? They had injury clouds, but were they gone when they made the decision? Probably named them hoping for the best, which with morris (for bulldogs fans at least) the best turned out with a season ender turning into 2 months.

Agree on lyon, although his form warrants selection. Odonnel is one of the players selectors are in love because he is 'hard' and 'agressive'. Form doesn't come into it, although I havent seen too many cowboys games so I can't comment on that I suppose. But regardless, they would pick him.

Wolfmans growing the bear again :sarcasm:. Nah, he has barely played, I dont know why he has been picked. Probably same because they had it in their heads to pick him after his year in 2008. Robertson is solid, safe and can find the line. He has no flair and wont be picked, but as its 40 players...

Ridiculous that Anasta hasn't at least been named in the training squad, you can bitch and moan all you want but the fact remains that he is in great form.

Anasta should be in the 40, but imo not in the final 17.

Latest posts