What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

triple m news said nsw 40 man squad has been announced

TimmyB

Juniors
I think this is a little harsh on robbo. I am not advocating for robertson to be in the final 17 for nsw whatsoever but comments like that are harsh. At wing he is super-solid, not flashy, but safe positionally and under the high ball, can cross for a try and is consistent. To be thought of in the top 6 or so nsw wingers is surely not as absurd as you guys make out is it? Or are my maroon and white coloured glasses on a little too tight?

Mate he's a good first grader, no bones about that. I just think if he's in NSW top 40 players we're looking pretty weak. I can't imagine that being the case 10 years ago, but maybe I'm wrong.

Tommax25

Bench
My team from that list of 40:

Gidley - Couldn't be simpler with stewart out. Although I would have picked stewart if fit.
Lawrence - Big, rangy, quick. He will do well.
Jennings - Not a player blooded now for the future, he is deserving of his spot right now on his own merits.
Cooper - One of the only players deserving of retaining their spot from the past few series.
Monaghan - Form not flash but is tall and good in the air, and has done well in the past games.
Campese - Form over the past 8 months or so has been too good to ignore. Fresh blood is a plus as well.
Wallace - As mentioned, solid halfback outside creative campese is a good mix. Didnt let nsw down when picked previously.
Kite - Deserved to be pciked last year, and should be this year. Consistent, and there are not too many props to choose from.
Farah - Has deserved it for years, and it would be criminal if he were robbed of it at the last second.
Bailey - Form is too good to ignore, although there is a feel of the old team in him (ie: the losing teams).
Laffranchi - Continuing his great form from the past 2 years or so.
Stewart - His form is getting back to where it was, and adds some creatvity (which perhaps may not be needed with sutton at 13?)
Sutton - Has been in great form and its time for him to get a chance.

Lewis - In great form and the best utility available, so much so that if stewart were at fullback gidley would have to be in the halves or out because I could not have him as the bench utility.
Waterhouse - Been quiet for so many years this explosion of good form is a bit of a shock, but deserves a go.
Weyman - I'll admit I was skeptical he could hit his best form but he has come good and is well deserving of a spot.
Watmough - I was leaning towards another prop (tbh I'm probably prop light) but the prospect of watmough running through qld and popping offloads for jennings and lawrnece like he does at manly was too good to leave out. Otherwise I'd have Gallowway at prop. I have never rated him before, and like waterhouse his form has surprised me.

mongoose

Coach
Mate he's a good first grader, no bones about that. I just think if he's in NSW top 40 players we're looking pretty weak. I can't imagine that being the case 10 years ago, but maybe I'm wrong.

robertson > Quinn & Turner

Knightmare

Coach
I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw Anasta didn't make the Top 40 squad. I felt like cracking open a tinnie when I saw that Steve Turner's name was nowhere to be found.

D

Deleted member 10972

Luke Bailey (Titans), Colin Best (Rabbitohs), Terry Campese (Raiders), Matt Cooper (Dragons), Ben Creagh (Dragons), Ben Cross (Knights), Michael Ennis (Bulldogs), Robbie Farah (Wests Tigers), Paul Gallen (Sharks), Keith Galloway (Wests Tigers), Kurt Gidley (Knights), Jarryd Hayne (Eels), Ryan Hoffman (Storm), Michael Jennings (Panthers), Brent Kite (Sea Eagles), Anthony Laffranchi (Titans), Chris Lawrence (Wests Tigers), Luke Lewis (Panthers), Jamie Lyon (Sea Eagles), James McManus (Knights), Mark Minichiello (Titans), Joel Monaghan (Raiders), Josh Morris (Bulldogs), Jarrod Mullen (Knights), Luke O'Donnell (Cowboys), Mitchell Pearce (Roosters), Josh Perry (Sea Eagles), Justin Poore (Dragons), Anthony Quinn (Storm), Michael Robertson (Sea Eagles), Brett Stewart (Sea Eagles), Glenn Stewart (Sea Eagles), John Sutton (Rabbitohs), Alan Tongue (Raiders), Anthony Tupou (Sharks), Peter Wallace (Broncos), Trent Waterhouse (Panthers), Anthony Watmough (Sea Eagles), Michael Weyman (Dragons), David Williams (Sea Eagles).

Some of those are awful. Sure, O'Meley, Fitzgibbon and Mason shouldn't be there, but Braith is still in good form.

Best, Lyon, McManus, Perry, Robertson and Tongue are pretty average selections. I would have put Shane Shackleton in the mix, it is good to see 'House back again.

TimmyB

Juniors
I think Tongue is an average selection not because he hasn't earned it, but because you know the pricks will never pick him. If a bloke like Dallas Johnson can excel at origin level, then so can little Tonguey.

TimmyB

Juniors
Harsh on Kite, but 100% on Hoffman. Bloke is a show pony who only goes good when the team is. Absolutely mia when they're not.

My team based on current preference:

1 - Kurt Gidley
2 - Joel Monaghan
3 - Michael Jennings
4 - Colin Best
5 - James McManus
6 - Terry Campese
7 - Peter Wallace
8 - Brent Kite
9 - Robbie Farah
10 - Luke Bailey
11 - Anthony Watmough
12 - Paul Gallen
13 - Alan Tongue

14 - Anthony Laffranchi
15 - Justin Poore
16 - Ben Creagh
17 - Luke Lewis

Ennis / Lawrence / Waterhouse / Galloway / Weyman / Hoffman / Sutton unlucky to miss out.

I've picked Best / McManus and many would have them as smokies but Best is always a threat at breaking the line and is tremendous defensively, and McManus always impresses the hell out of me - a very underrated player who won't let anyone down.

The Tank

Bench
I gotta admit Anasta is pretty unlucky. I think he's been in decent form...but realistically Campese has the five-eighth spot IMO...

Good too see Jennings, Lewis, and Waterhouse rewarded for form...and all three are a real chance of being selected!

Don't know why people are hating on Robertson so much... okay maybe not a rep (Origin/Oz) standard player but decent enough to make a 40 man squad...

A little disappointed Gordon isn't there...

Lambretta

First Grade
Watch the games look at the stats and perhaps grow a brain. On the first 6 rounds this season its clear the the NSW back row should be Creagh, Watmough and Waterhouse.

Pete.

Mate thanks for the lesson. Much appreciated.

Would have been more effective without the insults, but you have made very valid points.

As I said before, I need to watch him some more to see what you're seeing.

Waterhouse is an excellent player and would be a worth inclusion into Origin. But then NSW has a raft of 2nd rowers that could do the job.

Gallen & Tongue for a start.

I would say Laffranchi, Gallen and Watmough will probably start with Waterhouse and Sutton on the bench.

Creagh and Tongue will probably miss out.

What works in Creaghs favour is if Cooper plays. Selectors tend to like club links - and that's an obvious one.

Lambretta

First Grade
Oh and on 2nd rowers, I thought Heighington was unlucky not to be selected.

He is another great 2nd rower.

Goldthorpe

Bench
- I hope to God that they don't play players out of position [e,g Joel Monaghan or Jarryd Hayne onto a Wing as they are short of Wingers].

- I don't think they should select Jamie Lyon as he has said he doesn't want to play. Why select a player if he does not want to play?

- I can't believe Michael Robertson or Josh Perry made the 40-man squad.

Fullback:
Brett Stewart* [Sea Eagles], Kurt Gidley [Knights]
Wingers: James McManus [Knights], David Williams [Sea Eagles], Anthony Quinn [Storm], Michael Robertson [Sea Eagles]
Centres: Jamie Lyon [Sea Eagles], Chris Lawrence [Tigers], Jarryd Hayne [Eels], Michael Jennings [Panthers], Josh Morris* [Bulldogs], Joel Monaghan [Raiders], Colin Best [Rabbitohs], Matt Cooper [Dragons],
Five-Eighths: Terry Campese [Raiders], John Sutton [Rabbitohs],
Luke Lewis [Panthers]
Half-backs: Mitchell Pearce [Roosters], Jarrod Mullen [Knights], Peter Wallace [Broncos]
Locks: Paul Gallen [Sharks], Luke O'Donnell [Cowboys], Glenn Stewart [Sea Eagles], Alan Tongue [Raiders]
Second Rowers: Ben Creagh [Dragons], Trent Waterhouse [Panthers], Anthony Tupou [Sharks], Anthony Laffranchi [Titans], Anthony Watmough [Sea Eagles], Mark Minichiello [Titans], Ryan Hoffman [Storm]
Props: Luke Bailey [Titans], Michael Weyman [Dragons], Brent Kite [Sea Eagles], Justin Poore [Dragons], Keith Galloway [Tigers], Ben Cross [Knights], Josh Perry [Sea Eagles]
Hookers: Robbie Farah [Tigers], Michael Ennis [Bulldogs]
*denotes injured [Brett Stewart - 3 months, Josh Morris - 2 months]

Unlucky to missout on the 40-man squad: Jamie Soward [Dragons], Craig Fitzgibbon [Roosters], Feleti Mateo [Eels], Craig Wing [Rabbitohs], Braith Anasta [Roosters], Nathan Hindmarsh [Eels] and Andrew Ryan [Bulldogs]

Judging on form up to Round 06

01. Kurt Gidley [c]
02. James McManus
03. Jamie Lyon
04. Chris Lawrence
05. David Williams
06. Terry Campese [goal kicker]
07. Mitchell Pearce
08. Luke Bailey
09. Robbie Farah
10. Michael Weyman
11. Ben Creagh
12. Trent Waterhouse
13. Paul Gallen

14. Brent Kite
15. Anthony Tupou
16. Anthony Laffranchi
17. Luke Lewis

The Colonel

Immortal
- I hope to God that they don't play players out of position [e,g Joel Monaghan or Jarryd Hayne onto a Wing as they are short of Wingers].

How would they be playing Hayne out of position on the wing? Unlike Hagan and Anderson, NSW have played him in his natural position.....;-)

Latest posts