What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

triple m news said nsw 40 man squad has been announced

sando88

Not a Moderator
no, but it certainly does help.

glenn stewart has a pretty firm hand on 13 jumper, which is why i cant see tongue challenging.. also theres watmough, waterhouse, lewis, laffranchi and more who can also fill in there

There's plenty of time for Tongue to 'challenge', he's in damn decent form right now.
I suppose Minichiello isn't far off the order either.

Daddycool

Juniors
I'd definitely have Tongue in the 17. I wouldn't start him though, as the first 20 mins of Origin is all big hits and adrenalin. From then on, give some big guys a rest and bring him on for the rest of the game. He'll tackle everything that moves, including probably the two referees!

Seriously Victor, Gallen only got two weeks, before that he was is good form.

You talk up TLL, and FTR I rate him, but he does not start, why is that?

Surley if he is good enough for origin he would be starting.

All the players in the 40 start for thier clubs.

I do not see every Canberra game, but if the guy is in such good form, why is he not starting.

Do you think Qld will pick players who cannot get a starting berth in thier club side?

Because he's a tweener. He's in the process of changing from a back-rower to a prop. So he's coming off the bench and providing great impact. He's huge, that's a big advantage in Origin. He's been in amazing form since last year. And Jarrod Mullen is a bench player.

Another funny quote i'd like to add to this thread..

From Trent Barrett:

"At this stage there are other players in front of me. That's the way it goes."
"I'd swap it all for a win on Friday (against Souths)."

Swap what Trent? You aint got NOTHIN! LMFAO.

Joker's Wild

Coach
And Jarrod Mullen is a bench player.

Have you been smoking crack? :crazy:

Round 7 team vs Tigers (NRL)
1. Kurt Gidley (c)
2. James McManus
3. Junior Sau
4. Adam MacDougall
5. Akuila Uate
6. Ben Rogers
7. Jarrod Mullen
8. Mark Taufua
9. Isaac DeGois
10. Ben Cross
11. Chris Houston
12. Zeb Taia
13. Matt Hilder

Interchange:
14. Marvin Karawana
15. Cory Paterson
16. Richie Fa'aoso
17. Danny Wicks
18. Keith Lulia
19. Scott Dureau
20. Wes Naiqama

Knights Media Release

Have you been smoking crack? :crazy:

Round 7 team vs Tigers (NRL)
1. Kurt Gidley (c)
2. James McManus
3. Junior Sau
4. Adam MacDougall
5. Akuila Uate
6. Ben Rogers
7. Jarrod Mullen
8. Mark Taufua
9. Isaac DeGois
10. Ben Cross
11. Chris Houston
12. Zeb Taia
13. Matt Hilder

Interchange:
14. Marvin Karawana
15. Cory Paterson
16. Richie Fa'aoso
17. Danny Wicks
18. Keith Lulia
19. Scott Dureau
20. Wes Naiqama

Knights Media Release

Apologies for not paying attention to your "team" every single week.

Catsby

Juniors
Am I the only one who finds the naming of a preliminary squad a rather fruitless endeavor? I mean, I just don't understand the point of this. What is accomplished here?

4 - Colin Best
5 - James McManus

I believe this would be mercilessly obliterated by Inglis/Hodges/Folau/whoever. A total bloodbath.

Dazzat

First Grade
Am I the only one who finds the naming of a preliminary squad a rather fruitless endeavor? I mean, I just don't understand the point of this. What is accomplished here?

I believe this would be mercilessly obliterated by Inglis/Hodges/Folau/whoever. A total bloodbath.

NSW's former strength is now their weakness ... that have many more players to choose from than Queensland. The only thing achieved by picking this 40 man 'squad' is that it's put former great servants of the NSW team - such as Hindmarsh and Fitzgibbon - offside.

I agree totally with Hindmarsh ... what sort of signals are the selectors sending by showing so little loyalty.

Rest assured, if Lockyer played for NSW he would have been droppped when the pressure was on three years ago. Instead Queensland stuck with him, and he proved the critics wrong. NSWers often don't get that chance - because of choice.

mxlegend99

Referee
I agree totally with Hindmarsh ... what sort of signals are the selectors sending by showing so little loyalty.
We have shown more then enough loyalty. We have picked the likes of Matt Cooper, Danny Buderus, Willie Mason etc. ahead of blokes who are in better form for the past few years.

It's about time we picked a team based on form. We could be looking at blooding our next crop of Origin players in Michael Jennings, Terry Campese, Chris Lawrence, Robbie Farah etc. and if these blokes perform and actually get us a series win, then they could join recent debutants like Joel Monaghan, Brett Stewart, Peter Wallace etc. in being the core of our team for years to come.

Rest assured, if Lockyer played for NSW he would have been droppped when the pressure was on three years ago. Instead Queensland stuck with him, and he proved the critics wrong. NSWers often don't get that chance - because of choice.
He would have been a guaranteed starter in the NSW team IMO. Back then the only criteria we had for picking a team was whether or not they had played before. FFS we've even given Brett Kimmorley a run in recent years just because he had experience.

mxlegend99

Referee
BTW i think Nathan Hindmarsh has been in excellent form this season and deserves selection based on his performances this year. I believe he should be in the side based on his current form. The main reason i would back him ahead of someone younger is we could make him the captain and avoid it falling to a grub like Paul Gallen.

petetheileet

First Grade
Based on the 40-man squad, form, fitness amd the selections which are almost guaranteed. This would be my team:

1. Kurt Gidley (c)
There's very little competition at fullback. It was always going to be a battle between Stewart and Gidley. With Brett Stewart injured for the series, Kurt Gidley has no real competition and will probably be the first player picked now. He'd be my captain to avoid it falling to someone like Gallen.

2. Chris Lawrence
Amazingly fast player who would do well on the wing or in the centres for NSW. Has improved his defence over last season, and playing outside Michael Jennings would cause constant headaches for QLD. If these blokes backed each other up, any halfbreak would probably end up in a try.

3. Michael Jennings
In sensational form at the moment for the Panthers. Nearly everytime he touches the ball he is breaking tackles and creating opportunities that either himself or his winger can make plenty of metres from. With the right winger, those metres would definitely result in points.

4. Matt Cooper
He is almost guaranteed to be in the team for his defensive skills and experience for NSW in the past. Selectors seem to love the Dragons centres.

5. Joel Monaghan / Jarryd Hayne
Neither has set the world on fire this season. But both have been solid for NSW in the past. I rate both of them fairly highly and feel either one would do a decent job. If i were a selector i'd probably even have Monaghan in the centres ahead of Cooper and have Hayne outside him.

6. Terry Campese
Without doubt the best 5/8 running around for nearly an entire season now. Has been in sensational form and hugely responsible for the Raiders winning the games they have. He is very built for a 5/8 also, which the selectors seem to favour more then skill.

7. Peter Wallace
Not as skilled as the QLD halves, but he is a solid halfback who seems to shine when playing in the halves with a dominant playmaker. Terry Campese and Peter Wallace could be a great halves combination that would help NSW out for years to come.

8. Luke Bailey
NSW are never going to find a front row combination that stacks up against Petero and Price. But Bailey would have to be one of the closest players to being in the same mould as them. Older bloke with a great work ethic and plenty of experience. In good form at the moment also IMO.

9. Robbie Farah
IMO he should have been picked ahead of Bedsy last season and possibly the year before also. Has been one of the Tigers best players for several years now and deserves his chance at making an Origin debut. Should do much better in a team full of quality players.

10. Brent Kite
In a strong Manly forward pack, was probably one of the best players. If not the best. We need some proper front rowers who don't shy away from hard work. Brent Kite is exactly that.

11. Anthony Laffranchi
He is currently playing for one of the form teams in the NRL, and is largely responsible for them being where they are now. He and Luke Bailey are both inspirational players for their team.

12. Ben Creagh
Consistant player who averages a lot of tacklebreaks, linebreaks and eats up the metres each week. Can move to a few positions and play the entire 80 minutes if we need him to. Would probably try and get him to look to offload whenever he has the chance. If he is playing on the right side of the field, he could potentially have Lawrence, Jennings and Gidley all waiting to run off one of his offloads.

13. John Sutton
Has been in sensational form this season and deserves to be in the team. With the way Terry Campese has been playing at 5/8, he has been forced back to lock for mine. I don't like Paul Gallen, so he was never an option for me. It was between Sutton and Tongue. Both would do a fine job IMO.

14. Michael Weyman
Has been an absolute beast for the Dragons this season. He is a very big bloke that has a great attitude and is built for Origin IMO. Would offer a lot of impact from the bench and would go a long way toward boosting our front row.

15. Keith Galloway
Just like Michael Weyman, he has been in incredible form this season and pretty much come from nowhere to demand selection. These guys are inform and dserve a chance to represent their state. If they play half aswell for NSW as they do their clubs, they will do much better then our benchies have in previous seasons.

16. Trent Waterhouse
Might look a bit biased, but he is looking to be in career best form at the moment. Has bulked up considerably since last season and seems to have a new desire to play well every week. With him on the bench with Weyman and Galloway, we would only be field a stronger side when we used interchanges.

17. Luke Lewis
IMO Luke Lewis would have to be the best utility in the NRL. Can cover any position other then the front row, and puts in great performances without fail. In the above team i selected, his primary use would be in the backrow to keep all the blokes fresh and at their best. Would only look at moving him elsewhere if someone was injured.

One of the best teams i have seen

wouldnt even mind Lewis starting in the centres with Cooper and have someone a little more creative on the bench

BTW i agree with every other player and that team would smoke it

no way they will put waterhouse in and leave gallen out

Dazzat

First Grade
We have shown more then enough loyalty. We have picked the likes of Matt Cooper, Danny Buderus, Willie Mason etc. ahead of blokes who are in better form for the past few years.

It's about time we picked a team based on form. We could be looking at blooding our next crop of Origin players in Michael Jennings, Terry Campese, Chris Lawrence, Robbie Farah etc. and if these blokes perform and actually get us a series win, then they could join recent debutants like Joel Monaghan, Brett Stewart, Peter Wallace etc. in being the core of our team for years to come.

He would have been a guaranteed starter in the NSW team IMO. Back then the only criteria we had for picking a team was whether or not they had played before. FFS we've even given Brett Kimmorley a run in recent years just because he had experience.

I believe that Queensland's perceived weakness - a lot smaller pool of players to choose from - has worked in our favour, because on many occasions, Queensland has been forced to show loyalty to players out of form. Often, they have risen to the occasion. There's very few former Qld origin players, who have played more than three games or so, not in the mix.

This stability leads to greater perception of 'team'.

You mention Willie Mason ... good case in point. Not in the Top 40 players.

typicalfan

Coach
IMO we reward the current NSW members when NSW are winning, being the incumbent means nothing if your team is losing.

I believe that Queensland's perceived weakness - a lot smaller pool of players to choose from - has worked in our favour, because on many occasions, Queensland has been forced to show loyalty to players out of form. Often, they have risen to the occasion. There's very few former Qld origin players, who have played more than three games or so, not in the mix.

This stability leads to greater perception of 'team'.

You mention Willie Mason ... good case in point. Not in the Top 40 players.

IMO we reward the current NSW members when NSW are winning, being the incumbent means nothing if your team is losing.

Good to see some of you blues fans havent lost your marbles aswell as the last 3 series.

mxlegend99

Referee
It would be ridiculous to show loyalty to people who have lost three straight series. All they have to offer is experience... unfortunately their experience is losing. Not winning.

The Sharks players who make it will bring more then enough experience in losing.

sando88

Not a Moderator
all we need now is the same to happen to the australian team.. even though it is pretty much the same qld s.o.o team running round, there is a couple who are being picked solely on incumbency