What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turner Snubs Titans

Can't say I have any sympathy for the kid or the Storm. The kid seems to be very poorly advised and it seems to me that the advice is coming from within the Storm's management.

It's a really stupid move and he may have to sit his contract out.

The Gold Coast are doing the right thing.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Boatharbour said:
This is terrible behaviour from
Turner and his manager
My understanding is that Turner's manager wanted Turner to play with the Titans. He provided the NRL with an email to that effect which went a long way to support the Titan's case.
It appears that it is the Storm who have been advising Turner in regards to him staying put.

jc155776

Coach
imasharkie said:
Throw the book at Turner and The Storm.

This is a disgrace to the NRL.

Charge Turner with bringing the game into disrepute and suspend him for the 3 years.

I agree he is a grub and the Storm are not much better trying to entice him to break a contract. What would they be doing if the shoe was on the other foot. They're just as pathetic as him.

The NRL should deduct points of them for 2007 season like they did to the Warriors. IMO this is just as bad as rorting the system.

Damn right Ima.

He is certainly bringing the game into disrepute with this pathetic behaviour.

Wheres all the Strom defenders now? Maybe they have realised there club and Turner is the wrong big time here.

ledzep

Bench
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20811075-23214,00.html

Life, not footy, key for Turner
By Dean Ritchie
November 24, 2006 MELBOURNE wing Steve Turner spoke last night about his controversial decision to walk away from Gold Coast, begging the Titans: "Show some compassion and let me stay."

Turner, who agreed a three-year deal with Gold Coast but now wants to remain with Storm, spoke about his girlfriend Kate Novak's stress and his plans to reject the Titans' new one-year offer.

Turner admitted he blundered by signing with Gold Coast, but stressed: "Everyone makes mistakes. I'm young and I have made an error. I hope they show some compassion and let me stay.

"I've put myself in this position but I just hope they understand about a player's welfare.

"Nothing against the Gold Coast but I don't want to play there.

"Football is my life, and my life is in Melbourne. It's a mistake I won't make again.

"I hope Gold Coast realise what a stressful time it's been. There have been times when I've just about lost it. This is my job. It's like someone who wants to live in the city and has to live in the suburbs."

Turner says his frustration comes over not actually signing a contract or letter of intent with Gold Coast. He agreed through an email sent by his manager David Riolo.

"Nothing was ever signed," Turner said.

"I didn't leave Melbourne because I was unhappy. Just that I wanted to play regular first grade. But I've got cold feet now and don't want to go.

"I had some family issues in the past few years but they're not the reason I want to stay.

"I feel at home here and don't feel I should have to be forced away. It is an awkward situation and I'm the meat in the sandwich."

Gold Coast has asked Turner to play next season and then return to Melbourne if he chooses.

"I've spoken to Kate but it would mean packing everything up for 12 months," he said.

"It would seem a waste of time. I don't see a point in doing it.

"It's been a very stressed three to four months. It's been taxing at home and there's been a lot of pressure on Kate.

"But she has been nothing but supportive, as have Melbourne.

"Melbourne is home to Kate and me. The Storm is my family here."

Storm chief executive Brian Waldron said: "This isn't about a footballer - this is about life. Michael Searle (Titans managing director) has lost sight of the fact that we are dealing with a person. He's not just a lump of meat."

Searle and Turner met this week to discuss the drama.

"While we are empathetic to Steve and Kate's desire to stay in Melbourne, and applaud their loyalty to Melbourne, unfortunately we were provided with no reasonable grounds for a possible compassionate release," Searle said.

---------------------

sh*t he's pissing me off
Better start scouring the papers for a job for next year Steve

taxidriver

Coach
24628-500.jpg

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Cry me a river, Steve. You moron.

It's bad enough that he signed 2 contracts. What's worse is that we have had to put up with his whinging in the papers for months.

smeghead

Bench
So where is his legal challenge now? He has admitted he agreed to a deal with the Titans.

I actually really hope that now the Titans enforce his full contract and sit his arse on the sideline and end this pathetic little germs career. Sooky little bitch may want to try and face a real problem in life before he starts the woe is me turn in the media.

And in answer to wear the Storm defenders are. They are on a trek to Estoonia to but Storm Premiers T-Shirts. So they can pretend, if only for a little while

Lowdown

Juniors
smeghead said:
So where is his legal challenge now? He has admitted he agreed to a deal with the Titans.

I actually really hope that now the Titans enforce his full contract and sit his arse on the sideline and end this pathetic little germs career. Sooky little bitch may want to try and face a real problem in life before he starts the woe is me turn in the media.

And in answer to wear the Storm defenders are. They are on a trek to Estoonia to but Storm Premiers T-Shirts. So they can pretend, if only for a little while

Yeah - I'm looking forward to Friday night, opening round too buddy. I have a good feeling that we'll not only smash your team to shreds, but that Zappa will be there enjoying every moment...on the field, with the Storm...where he belongs.

Seriously - 'end this pathetic little germ's career'? What the hell are people so angry about. It amazes me that some Rugby League supporters such as yourself can be so imbecilic, simplistic, borderline neanderthal-type behaviour. It's not like he stuck the finger up some guy's ass now is it?

Ps - Its Estonia...dickhead

smeghead

Bench
Lowdown said:
Yeah - I'm looking forward to Friday night, opening round too buddy. I have a good feeling that we'll not only smash your team to shreds, but that Zappa will be there enjoying every moment...on the field, with the Storm...where he belongs.

Seriously - 'end this pathetic little germ's career'? What the hell are people so angry about. It amazes me that some Rugby League supporters such as yourself can be so imbecilic, simplistic, borderline neanderthal-type behaviour. It's not like he stuck the finger up some guy's ass now is it?

Ps - Its Estonia...dickhead

Ha ha ha ha. We will see in regards to round 1. Either way your little club will still hold the biggest choke award until another club does something special. Maybe he does belong at the Storm. I mean he would fit right in with Waldron and his regular whine about how hard it is for a club in Melbourne.

You will find people are angry because this sad little man is seeking an action which attacks our contract proceedings in general. That and I didn't really care all to much until his petulant antics in the media about how hard things are. Woe is Steve Turner.

No he did not stick his finger up another players arse. Thank god for that. Thankfully we got rid of that moron (who funnily enough was picked up by Manly. Who also enjoy employing contract weazling scum) and the coach behind it all.

Oh I am sorry I have been too simplistic. We should wait until this creton drags our game back through the court system and media circus.

Face it Melbourne have tried bullying tactics and the Gold Coast has not budged in their stance that Turner will be a Titan next season. If the Storm and Turner are so confident in their outcome why have they not commenced action to void the Gold Coast agreement?

PS. Oh my mistake. A typo. My life is now over.

PPS. It is wonderful really. All one has to do is throw the bait and the "touched" section of the Melbourne Storm fans will come. I mean I only laid the slightest bait and I got a big one straight away. Ahh the joys of game fishing

Ice777

Bench
innsaneink said:
Wheres ICE777 to defend his club yet again....oh, thats right.

Here i am Inky, it's nice to know you haven't forgotten me and i'm still on your mind. Personally i haven't given you a second thought but then again i'm not that way inclined if you know what i mean, i'm sure you do ;-)

Unlike your good self i've gotten a life during the off season and that's why i have't been around much, i've also noticed when i do check in every now and then it's a bit slow but that's understandable in the off season. But never fear, i'll be back when the footy starts again :D

As for this Turner thing, it's not over until the fat lady sings so i wouldn't be taking his size for a Tits jersey just yet. That's not to say i think he won't end up there, i just think there's a bit more water to go under the bridge before this is sorted out. Of course i'd love him to stay at the Storm but if he doesn't then i'm resigned to the fact because i've looked at it as he's been going to the Tits months ago and if we did happen to keep him it'd be a bonus. Either way i hope it's sorted out ASAP.

What i do find a bit laughable though is how everyone is coming down on the Storm and Turner, yet if it was YOUR club and player i'd bet my left knacker you'd have the complete opposite stance on this. Especially the couple of Canberra supporters who've voiced their opinion, Ruben Wiki anyone? I'm sure a few people would deny they'd have a different viewpoint if it was your club, but we know exactly how you'd be thinking and it'd wouldn't be like you do here.

The fact it's Melbourne has only added even more attention to it but i don't hear anyone having a crack at Puletua and he did pretty much exactly the same thing. Oh that's right he has compassionate grounds and Steve is only doing it for the money.......But hang on, Turner said he'd pass on every cent over to the Tits that he was earning extra from the Storm as compensation so that pretty much blows the already dodgy theory that usual suspects were peddling right out of the water. So why is it he wants to stay now if it's obviously not the money?????? Hrmmm i wonder what other tripe awaits that question.

Evolution

Juniors
It must only be a coincidence that now the Titans are saying that they will give Turner a one year deal and let him leave next year if he likes only after they signed Rodgers to a 2 year contract starting in 2008. How very sweet and selfless of them to do so.

Turner has said that he is not doing it for the money like so many like to cling onto. He has said that he would give the difference between the Melbourne and Titan money to the titans if they let him stay. So out the window that theory goes.

Oh no maybe he may just want to stay in the city where his girlfriend is or have other issues that he does not want to make public knowledge. Gallop seems to have a change in tune a bit after Steve talked to him and given his stance the whole time there must have been something important that Steve has said to him.

Why would the Titans say anything other than Steve wants money if it is for something else as they don’t want to look bad.

If the Titans force him to sit out for three years good on them for paying a player to do nothing. I hope it all counts on their salary cap and stops them from getting another player to fill the hole.

If they do make him go up there what sort of disruption will a player cause to a club if he did not want to be there in the first place. They can not expect him to give 100% to the club probably not even 50%. I would think that even though they say that there is no hard feelings they will not be able to over look the saga and it will affect the way he plays and is treated around the club. So they will probably end up paying a player to not play for them anyway or at least not at his best.

Philby

Juniors
Good to c the Titans r sticking to their guns on this. I am so sick of hearing this whinging bitch crying about having to move to the Goldcoast to get paid to play the greatest game of all in probably the best climate in the world. Its about time some of these players realise how good they have it. I really praise the Titans and the NRL for putting their foot down.If he doesnt like it he can F@#$ off for all i care.

joshreading

Staff member
I think the NRL want to be a little careful, if the courts were to declare that the verbal was invalid then it would be a restraint of trade not to recognise the Turner contract with the Storm and that could land them in hot water. They risk losing what power they seem to have, if it is challenged. As is the case with the drafting concept. In reality it is illegal to do so even if it is good for the game.

Gene Krupa

Referee
No restraint of trade. The Storm will still have to pay him to sit on the sideline. And if that was the case, then ANY long team contract could be deamed a restraint of trade. I mean, if a guy was signed for $100,000 a year and then played origin, what's to stop him from challenging the contract if another team was to offer him more, say 3 years into a 5 year contact?

And to the Storm fans going, if it were you team. Well it ain't! It's the Storm management that have been underhanded and derelict in enticing someone already contracted to renig. No real point with what ifs!

Pierced Soul

First Grade
as for the verbal thing, didnt bennett agree to verbally join easts? what's to stop easts now claiming a backdown of contract? why dont easts make bennett either coach them or sit out the next 3 years?

Vicious

Bench
Just let the bloke play wher his heart lays. It`s no point the Gold Coast having a player who doesn`t want to be there, they need 100% team harmony to be a success. Steve Turner is a quality up and comer who would be a bit of a loss, but it`s not as if he`s irreplaceable.

Vicious said:
Just let the bloke play wher his heart lays. It`s no point the Gold Coast having a player who doesn`t want to be there, they need 100% team harmony to be a success. Steve Turner is a quality up and comer who would be a bit of a loss, but it`s not as if he`s irreplaceable.

He is irreplaceable when you've got a new squad and you're banking on him to be a key contributor, either at fullback or on the wing.

I agree with you regarding the Titans not wanting him if he doesn't want to play there, but this sets a dangerous precedent for the future if a club simply turns their back on a contract (written or not) when a player changes their mind, it's the ethics of it all that is the concern here.