What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV rights thread part 4

M2D2

Bench
Why because i would ensure a fair go for all clubs? Because i wouldnt drop everything that would help the game for more money? Because i would ensure more free to air coverage for our game.
Yeah i would be a f**king train wreck.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I have a horrible feeling that the lack of a 9th game in the deal is the end for expansion hopes for the foreseeable future. I can see the ARLC focusing on other areas and reconsidering expansion around 2016 ready for 2018 new media deals. Would be such a shame to lose all the hard work that has been done establishing the game in WA and the regrowth of the game in places like CC and CQ.

Maybe I am wrong and they will see expansion as strategically important to bring a fresh buzz into the game and develop it for future benefits but I have a sickly feeling that all our hard work has been in vain as a conservative RL once again gazes at its navel.

applesauce

Bench
Only in RL would fans be up in arms for actually securing something that was aimed for without changing fundamentals of the game as people expected needed to happen in order to secure $1bill.

M2D2

Bench
lol

You have no idea. At all.
I have no idea? I have a very good idea.
I just dont put stock in getting f**ked over for money and being okay with that.
But hey, who am i to stop everybody becoming the whore of Babylon.
Only in RL would fans be up in arms for actually securing something that was aimed for without changing fundamentals of the game as people expected needed to happen in order to secure $1bill.

This is the problem with geniuss like you, you seem to unable to understand that not everybody is fixated on getting the most Money Money Money from every deal. What they want is the best deal, not the deal that cost people the most amount of money.

Last edited:

applesauce

Bench
Have people forgotten how 9 have treated the game for so long?

They are in a Billion of debt and just paid $500mill for a sport (the worth of all of our old TV rights).

They would be stupid to continue to treat the game poorly or they will be literally pissing money down the drain and ruining their only asset.

GAZF

First Grade
I have no idea? I have a very good idea.
I just dont put stock in getting f**ked over for money and being okay with that.
But hey, who am i to stop everybody becoming the whore of Babylon.

Well, the Jerk Store called, and they're running out of you.

Edwahu

Bench
The deal could be 10 billion and free blowjobs from a supermodel for every game watched and people would still cry.

NrlCoach

Juniors
I have a horrible feeling that the lack of a 9th game in the deal is the end for expansion hopes for the foreseeable future. I can see the ARLC focusing on other areas and reconsidering expansion around 2016 ready for 2018 new media deals. Would be such a shame to lose all the hard work that has been done establishing the game in WA and the regrowth of the game in places like CC and CQ.

Maybe I am wrong and they will see expansion as strategically important to bring a fresh buzz into the game and develop it for future benefits but I have a sickly feeling that all our hard work has been in vain as a conservative RL once again gazes at its navel.
lol the clubs dont want expansion they want that billion dollor deal for themself not to share it with two new clubs. only hope for expansion is the next deal

andrew057

First Grade
The deal could be 10 billion and free blowjobs from a supermodel for every game watched and people would still cry.

Exactly. If Grant came out and said 10 had the rights and would show 4 games a week live for 800m twice as many would be pissing and moaning about it.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
There are a lot of members on this forum letting their hatred for Channel 9 cloud their judgement. I know they're not the best broadcasters but come the f**k on.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
For f**ks sake. Its first/last Bid rights.
The NRL could still say "no we prefer what X is offering".

Oh wow. The Clubs might get 2.5 Million.
What does that mean for the fans? Nothing.

We get it, Its $200 million less.
We dont care. We put more weight on 3 more LIVE FTA games than $200 million. You dont. You care about money. We get it already.

That's right. So all afternoon you have blabbering on about how much you hate the deal. We got that at 11:30am this morning. Move on... I don't love the deal, but the money is going to make a lot of difference.

$2.5m is a lot of money for any club. Especially in a tough economic climate.

As for the bid rights...

First and Last Rights
Nine and Fox Sports have first and last rights. This gave Nine and Fox Sports a three-month exclusive negotiating period. This period has ended with negotiations still open after Nine and Fox Sports lodged individual bids, both of which were believed to be well below what the NRL expects. Seven and Ten have now entered the bidding. Nine and Fox Sports have the right to match any final offer from Seven and Ten if it is within 20 per cent of Nine's and Fox Sports' final offer. This essentially means Seven and/or Ten have to blow Nine and/or Fox Sports out of the water with a huge offer.

http://www.backpagelead.com.au/league/6421-all-you-need-to-know-about-the-nrl-tv-deal

Can't you see we are never getting away from this... $200m is too much. We can make 9 and Fox pay less to match the $800m and still have the same issue next time where the bid has a cap as we can't ask each party to broker their own deal to suit the games needs.

ratsack2

Juniors
I am with M2D2 on this one, the only way I would be happier is if there was a guarantee that the FTA games were shared equally, but this is not going to happen and we will continue to get Broncos Tv on friday nights and sharks on monday nights. if anything the extra money should be distributed to clubs on a compensation basis, the less free to air games you receive the more money you get.

M2D2

Bench
Exactly. If Grant came out and said 10 had the rights and would show 4 games a week live for 800m twice as many would be pissing and moaning about it.
The only people that would complain are the people who put money above all else.
Can't you see we are never getting away from this... $200m is too much. We can make 9 and Fox pay less to match the $800m and still have the same issue next time where the bid has a cap as we can't ask each party to broker their own deal to suit the games needs.
Ergh. Money. Money. Money. Thats all some of you f**king see.
Theres more to life, to this game we all support than dollar signs. f**king christ.

Last edited:

age.s

First Grade
What a joke.

Mate if the Sharks died from natural attrition fair enough and it would be no one elses fault but our own. Hence why we are trying so hard to secure a new revenue stream.

My issue with this is as an NRL supporter not a Sharks supporter.

If my concern was motivated out of my own selfishness for the Sharks, then i'd be cheering not questioning.

Very poor use of the club card.

My point was there's plenty to like about the deal, and someone who's club has been in financial turmoil should be able to see that. The survival of any club in trouble is simply one way more money can help the game retain it's soul. More money for grassroots and bush footy, development in non heartland areas, expansion, elite pathways, player development, facilities (both professional and amateur), subsidizing tickets and transport, better representation at all levels of government and improvement of the game's image are just a few examples of positive things that could be done with the huge increase in funds. Haven't even touched on the removal of Nein from all first/last rights.

There's plenty of reasoned debate going on, but so much of the negativity is just toys out of the pram stuff. Don't try and justify it.

SharkShocked

Bench
lol the clubs dont want expansion they want that billion dollor deal for themself not to share it with two new clubs. only hope for expansion is the next deal

100% right.

Instead of Perth coming into the league, you will now have Sonny Bill on a 2 million dollar a season contract.

But you'll still be happy :) Because we got 1 billion.

Everyone here has one point they've made which is correct.

This is a stop gap contract, designed to get rid of the previous f**kups of the last deal in relation to rights. Monetarily they have done a brilliant job.

But not all of us necessarily wanted that....and it's somewhat unfortunate that our history has dictated this deal to a large degree.

Latest posts