What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV rights thread part 4

docbrown

Coach
This will ultimately determine Expansion or no expansion imo. If there is no stipulation on a 9th game then in theory the ARLC has the money available to go ahead with expansion regardless and offer the ninth game to the highest bidder. In the worse case scenario they consider it an investment in the growth of the game and offer it to the ABC for free as long as it is shown natioanlly live on a Saturday 2pm or Sunday 5pm. Be interesting to know if there is anything in the contract to stop them doing this?

Only concern is the ARLC has gone on for ages about expansion needing to bring value to the other NRL clubs and this hasn't been acheived. If ARLC considers expansion a strategic priority at some point in the next 5 years we still may see it though I am not holding out much hope after todays comments.

The NRL needs to provide more clarity on this issue.

aarondoyle

Juniors
I also am far from convinced expansion is off the cards. It is simply not factored into the deal. If the game decides that it can both afford and bring more benefit to the game through expansion it easily can.

Is there anything in the contracts that mean we can not sell an extra game to another bidder? (ie. 7 or 10)

It'd be great if that was the case.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think if that was the intention they would have annonced a ninth game today as part of the package and got the League world buzzing with debate about whch two teams are coming in.

M2D2 it's as clear as day that you don't give a flying f**k about the fans, or the game for that matter.

In relation to the t.v deal your agendas are your club and ultimately, yourself.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I still have a few questions ??

How much are Fox paying for the Toyota Cup ?

How much are fox or nine willing to pay for the Dally M awards ceremony ?

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
So basically the following people will be better off;

Players
Coaches
NRL Staff
Commissioners
Clubs
Club Staff
Medical Staff
Juniour Players

The following will either be worse of or stay the same

Fans

Perth Red

Post Whore
Your sounding like M2D2! We don't know what the ARLC will spend the money on yet so we have no idea who will be better or worse off. The only people I can say def will be no worse off is TV VIEWERS as they are getting exactly the same as before!

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...-windfall-wisely/story-e6frg7t6-1226455001732

Rugby league must use windfall wisely

by: Brent Read
August 21, 2012 2:19PM

THE target was always $1 billion and the ARL Commission got that and more. Sure, it gave up something in return.

A Sunday night grand final is back on the agenda from next season. State of Origin will remain on Wednesday night, much to the chagrin of the players union. Expansion is on the backburner.

But any disappointment over the draining Origin period will be offest by what is headed the players' way. A sizeable chunk of the commission's billion-dollar broadcasting deal will be used to increase the salary cap. Some of game's elite are ready to cash in.

The likes of Johnathan Thurston and Jarryd Hayne are off contract at the end of next season - they are in line to become the latest million-dollar men.

Clubs are also headed for a period of prosperity unlike any in recent memory. Sydney teams have rarely returned a profit. Cronulla has lived on the breadline for years. This will be like manna from heaven.

Thanks to the Nine Network and Foxtel, the game now has the financial muscle to take the fight to the AFL. Rugby league clubs in western Sydney and the Gold Coast have had their nerves soothed. The game can launch a counter-attack if it so wishes. It's more likely the money will be used to shore up the game's heartland rather than return serve.

The greatest challenge for rugby league now is to make sure it uses its riches wisely. More money will come via New Zealand and digital media rights. It could be that the commission deal eventually out-strips the $1.253 billion paid to the AFL. That would be a victory for the ARLC chairman John Grant and his fellow commissioners, who have been criticised at times for moving too slowly.

Grant has always spoken of acting to get the best deal, not the fastest deal. It was hard to argue with his rationale today as he announced a broadcasting deal unlike any in the game's history. Grant described it as the greatest in the game's history. It was hard to argue.

While the commission will rightly be praised, the forgotten man yesterday was former chief execuitve David Gallop. Gallop deserves much of the credit for the game being in such good health. He helped put the game in position to cash in on its popularity. And how they cashed in.

As part of the new deal, $90 million will be paid in advance to help the game set up a future fund. Clubs can expect a significant increase in their grants. They want it to exceed the salary cap by $1 million. The players union will have something to say about that. They will want as much cash as possible for their players.

The days of crying poor are over. Rugby league is rich again but must not squander the windfall.

Parra

Referee
No monorail?

Maybe a conference in Hawaii to discuss the deal & build some morale.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Your sounding like M2D2! We don't know what the ARLC will spend the money on yet so we have no idea who will be better or worse off. The only people I can say def will be no worse off is TV VIEWERS as they are getting exactly the same as before!

All most people wanted was one new TV FTA idea...

They could of easily insisted of one of these;

Live FTA on Sunday
A Sat night FTA game
Multi cast of Friday nite footy with GEM
FTA Monday nite

Why don't you unplug FOX one day in Perth, and see how it feels for the weekend... see how 64% of pop lives...

undertaker

Coach
I have no problem with the Sunday night Grand Final IF the compromise is a return to the Sat night/Sunday arvo format for weeks 2/3 of the finals, as it was during 1999-2005, 2007.

If the Friday night/Saturday night format is retained however (like in 2006), that's absolutely criminal how Ch9 have been allowed to get away with that. That means only one day game in the final series.:x

Last edited:

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
In 2018 they can come up with a set of demands - X number of FTA, fixed schedule, sat/sun evening games etc. Broadcasters won't set the tone of negotiations next time. The more I think about it the more I like it.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Just remember that $500 M over 6 years sounded goood in 2006..

Will this sound good in 2017 ??

With an ever aggressive AFL pounding on the door, can the NRL wait 5 years before they look after the fans ??

phantom eel

First Grade
Very happy with the Round 1-20 draw in advance - finally! It's not rocket science, and we've waited so long to be able to plan and attend. England have had it in place for years

Not happy with every second round having Sunday night footy - on top of the retention of Monday night, and even three games on bloody Thursday nights! Makes attending home and away games all the more difficult - just fill up all the vacant slots in the daytimes on weekends first, you merkins :fist:.

5 years for this deal... will be interesting to see if they can add two teams into the comp along the way, or whether they will spend the time getting that all in place and ready to start with 2018's new deal? That's where the true test of this independent commission will come, in 5 years time will they have the balls to decide and make demands of broadcasters in scheduling that actually suit the players and fans (like sticking to the weekends)?

Springs

First Grade
I think the tv rights deal is pretty good but I can't stand the people who call the posters who disagree 'whingers' and post pics of crying babies like it makes them more mature. Every single poster on this forum complains about a whole ton of shit, but when someone else complains it's 'whinge whinge whinge grow up baby'.

M2D2

Bench
M2D2 it's as clear as day that you don't give a flying f**k about the fans, or the game for that matter.

In relation to the t.v deal your agendas are your club and ultimately, yourself.
:lol::lol::lol:
Clear as day huh?
The game and fans were just put over a barrel, yeah IM the one in this situation that doesnt care about fans/game.
What a f**king stupid merkin.
In 2018 they can come up with a set of demands - X number of FTA, fixed schedule, sat/sun evening games etc. Broadcasters won't set the tone of negotiations next time. The more I think about it the more I like it.
Please tell me what stopped them doing that this time? The First/last bid rights? All that does is give 9 and fox to up their bids and a 3 month first in window.
Nothing stopped them from doing that this time.

Last edited:

doggzfan4lyf

Juniors
What about the 100Miliion in Contra...

Channels Nines new NRL ad pricing plan... will soon be announced

15 Sec Commercial - $190,000
30 Sec Commercial - $275,000

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Also, with the fixed schedule, do we expect better crowds and memberships now that fans will know the 1st 20 weeks of the season?

$1bn, with more to come.
Fixed schedule.
Death of First and Last Rights.
National coverage with a new timeslot that has no opposition (Thursday nights).

vs.

Channel 9 and status quo with Live FTA games.

That's a win.

If we haven't given away the rights to a possible 9th game then that's a f**king fantastic win.