What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV rights thread part 4

Springs

First Grade
But any disappointment over the draining Origin period will be offest by what is headed the players' way. A sizeable chunk of the commission's billion-dollar broadcasting deal will be used to increase the salary cap. Some of game's elite are ready to cash in.

The likes of Johnathan Thurston and Jarryd Hayne are off contract at the end of next season - they are in line to become the latest million-dollar men.

Woo. How brilliant. How about the salary cap money goes towards retaining players that either have to retire early or go to England? If the money will just be used to top up the best player's salaries then nothing is gained. Thurston, Hayne, Smith etc will get close to a million a year and we will still have loads of talent pushed out.

blukablu

Juniors
As part of the new deal, $90 million will be paid in advance to help the game set up a future fund. Clubs can expect a significant increase in their grants. They want it to exceed the salary cap by $1 million. The players union will have something to say about that. They will want as much cash as possible for their players.

Hopefully this means clubs will lower membership costs and increase marketing.

DJShaksta

First Grade
They said delayed Sunday games were here to stay.
No mention of a Sunday game kicking off at 4pm.

El Diablo

Post Whore
In 2018 they can come up with a set of demands - X number of FTA, fixed schedule, sat/sun evening games etc. Broadcasters won't set the tone of negotiations next time. The more I think about it the more I like it.

as Grant said http://www.nrl.com/billion-dollar-d...-league/tabid/10874/newsid/69393/default.aspx

"Of great importance, and a factor that played heavily into the Commission?s final decision, is the release by News, Fox and Nine of their rights over future ?first and last? agreements.

?It reflects the positive spirit of the negotiation process and allows the game greater control in determining the value of its assets in the future.?

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Please tell me what stopped them doing that this time? The First/last bid rights? All that does is give 9 and fox to up their bids and a 3 month first in window.
Nothing stopped them from doing that this time.

nothing stopped them, but Nine and Fox were at an advantage by always having a chance to bid again. Now it's all in for the one bid you make.

skeepe

Immortal
Haven't read through the thread, so apologies if this is covered, but who decides the first 20 rounds? The NRL or the broadcasters? Is there any improvement on the current minimum of a measly 2 FTA matches per season?

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Woo. How brilliant. How about the salary cap money goes towards retaining players that either have to retire early or go to England? If the money will just be used to top up the best player's salaries then nothing is gained. Thurston, Hayne, Smith etc will get close to a million a year and we will still have loads of talent pushed out.

You cant make clubs spend their money on lower/middle level guys without concessions for long serving players. Any increase in salary cap was always going to be eaten up by the top players as their agents and managers use other clubs/codes as leverage.

Some mid level players will get overpaid due to clubs getting scared thinking they need to spend their extra cash. But very little will change in distribution of salaries.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I bet the Western Force will be rubbing their hands at the prospect of signing up those 20K RL fans in perth who are sick of waiting for a team!

Bit of a worry that there is no guarantee in there of FTA games being aired live or close to nationally. Nothing in it I can see to stop them going back to midnight in Melbourne and Perth.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
At first, like many, I was dismayed that it was nine again. But I still believe this is a step foward for the reasons stated by Hollywood Jesus above.

As stated the biggest complaint seems to be lack of live FTA. Look on the bright side, this at least pushes people into attending the games whereas the tendancy has always been towards favouring TV viewing. If they can subsidise the tickets a bit as well as push memberships and advertising of games with some of the newly found money this should lead to bigger attendences, which let's face it seems to be the biggest gripe for league fans on this forum. I'd rather see fewer well attended FTA TV games than five games a week FTA with empty stands.

With the economic climate almost certainly on the decline in the next few years a rain-check on expansion along with a stash of cash is quite a good position to be in.

Those worried about the AFL with more FTA coverage and two new teams, going on the current evidence this seems to be doing more harm than good. They've overstretched, this is not the time to overstretch.

In summary, don't worry, be happy.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Fox Sports is availabe to every home in the country.

If you claim you can't afford it as a person of modest means, steal the money or get it on illegally.

Failing that, cut back on food and electricity to get it put on.

Just stop f**king whingeing.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I bet the Western Force will be rubbing their hands at the prospect of signing up those 20K RL fans in perth who are sick of waiting for a team!

Bit of a worry that there is no guarantee in there of FTA games being aired live or close to nationally. Nothing in it I can see to stop them going back to midnight in Melbourne and Perth.

No true league fan would do such a thing.

Therefore, its no loss.

DJShaksta

First Grade
Putting games on Thursday and Sunday nights does not push people into attending.
It pushes them to foxtel.

Paul J

Juniors
"Very significantly, and a factor that played heavily in the Commission's final decision, is the release of Nine, Fox, and most particularly News, over all their rights in regard to future agreements."

The only reason we even have an IC is that News left the game early as leverage to obtain F & L rights all the way to 2027.

That meant the status quo of Nine/Fox most likely winning the rights in 2012, 2017, and 2022, freezing out Ten/Seven. Very bad indeed.

Nine/Fox having F & L rights are THE REASON they won the rights this time.

The ARLC have been able to negotiate complete freedom for all future broadcast deals, this is absolutely huge for the game, immeasurable.

And the got us around $1.3 billion, all up.

I'm very happy with this deal, it sets up all future deals perfectly.

Latest posts