What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV rights thread part 4

beave

Coach
Can we have first dibs on the Easter Sunday night game, pref against the Storm?? We got 20k this year for it so that slot works for us up here if no one else wants it............

Ta.

firechild

First Grade
Look on the bright side, this at least pushes people into attending the games whereas the tendancy has always been towards favouring TV viewing.

What, by making even more games at the family unfriendly time of Sunday night? Yep, I'm much more likely to drive my family over an hour each way to attend a game where we won't be getting home until 10pm. Good point, thanks ARLC. :crazy:

Rosetta

Juniors
Haven't read through the thread, so apologies if this is covered, but who decides the first 20 rounds? The NRL or the broadcasters? Is there any improvement on the current minimum of a measly 2 FTA matches per season?

Nine will be able to pick the first 2 matches of each round, from there it's a bit of a mystery and wasn't expanded on from any interview I have heard.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Anyone got a link of where I can watch the entire press conference from today? All I saw was the Channel 9 coverage.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Putting games on Thursday and Sunday nights does not push people into attending.
It pushes them to foxtel.

Its only 3 games a year on Thursday Night.

Hopefully it's;

Season Opener
Holy Thursday (Day before Good Friday)

Not Sure where the other will come from though, But Anzac Day falls on a Thursday next year (and a Friday in 2014), so thats the next two years with decent timeslots for the game

Most likely they will try and tie them in with School Holidays/Special occasions, and not just put them on a Cold Winters Night for not reason...well hopefully that's the case.

As for the Sunday Night games, there are a few oppurtunites for family friendly slots now (Easter Sunday, Day before Queens Bday). Also if the NRL still takes 2 or so games to Perth each year there is more oppurtunity. Hopefully the 13x games were made with a Perth team coming in towards the end of the agreement though.

Last edited:
What, by making even more games at the family unfriendly time of Sunday night? Yep, I'm much more likely to drive my family over an hour each way to attend a game where we won't be getting home until 10pm. Good point, thanks ARLC. :crazy:

At least their taking away a sat 7.30 game for this.

Sunday 6pm v sat 7.30 is a wash IMO.

But tv wise Sunday 6pm is better.

skeepe

Immortal
Nine will be able to pick the first 2 matches of each round, from there it's a bit of a mystery and wasn't expanded on from any interview I have heard.

Brilliant. So that means, like the expiring deal, over 100 Broncos matches on FTA vs about 15 Raiders and 20 Sharks matches.

Fairness, the Channel 9 way.

I thought it particularly ominous the way Gyngell described how they would play a Queensland team and a Sydney team... see, Channel 9 don't give a shit about ratings outside Sydney and Brisbane, because they don't own the affiliates. So they make decisions for Brisbane and Sydney only, completely ignoring the fact that there are teams from other parts of the country (and indeed overseas).

All this means is that we will continue to see the same old teams every week on FTA, while those that fall outside the two main Channel 9 markets will just have to lump it.

firechild

First Grade
On the plus side, they can stop look for a new NRL CEO and just give the title to Gyngell. He's basically running the game already, all he has to do now is front the occasional press conference.

M2D2

Bench
Fox Sports is availabe to every home in the country.

If you claim you can't afford it as a person of modest means, steal the money or get it on illegally.

Failing that, cut back on food and electricity to get it put on.

Just stop f**king whingeing.
:lol::lol::lol:
Thats right people, dont complain about anything, you wouldnt want to make somebody upset.

Eion

First Grade
Brilliant. So that means, like the expiring deal, over 100 Broncos matches on FTA vs about 15 Raiders and 20 Sharks matches.

I thought it particularly ominous the way Gyngell described how they would play a Queensland team and a Sydney team... see, Channel 9 don't give a shit about ratings outside Sydney and Brisbane, because they don't own the affiliates. So they make decisions for Brisbane and Sydney only, completely ignoring the fact that there are teams from other parts of the country (and indeed overseas).

All this means is that we will continue to see the same old teams every week on FTA, while those that fall outside the two main Channel 9 markets will just have to lump it.

Yep. That's it in a nutshell.

Burwood

Bench
Any improvement in televising the game nationally and at a reasonable time, ie not midnight in Melbourne? Sounds unlikely, but would have liked to see the 3 FTA games shown at the same time across the country, even on Gem or Go.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No true league fan would do such a thing.

Therefore, its no loss.

Well if Bears fans can switch to AFL ;)

Seriously though I love going to a live game, WARL saturday afternoons are fun but not exactly the same thing. We will have a great facility at nib stadium and nothing to do for RL fans but sit at home watching Fox. As much as I hate RU with a passion I find AFL boring, soccer is a joke here so what's a sports fan to do for the next 5 years?

Cumberland Throw

First Grade

Nine Dont pick shit any more...

The NRL schedules the first 160 games.... with one caveat, a QLD based team must be one of the 4 teams chosen for the Friday game...

In theory they can pick Warriors v NQ on a Friday, and nine have to hit the airport ...

Suck it nine

DJShaksta

First Grade

That's spot on Skeepe.

This is acceptable to a lot of people though cos we got a Billion dollars.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Carlos just raised an interesting possibility in the expansion thread that they could go to a 17 team comp in 2015/16. Wouldn't bring in the ninth game but would give an opportunity for expansion (ok being very biased here!), bring in Perth for that Sunday evening slot and actually be growing the game in a new area that is ripe for it. Also gives Brisbane2 more time to develop a proper bid ready to be included in 2017 or for the new deal in 2018 bringing more money with the ninth game and extra Brisane team. Not sure what that woud mean in terms of byes and number of rounds etc to have a 17 team comp?

Big Sam

First Grade
What exactly will the Internet rights entail? Could we watch the other Friday night game live on a computer even if it's not the one 9 is showing live into my market?

some11

Referee
What exactly will the Internet rights entail? Could we watch the other Friday night game live on a computer even if it's not the one 9 is showing live into my market?

No you will need to find an illegal stream from the UK/NZ since they get those games live.

Funny isn't it.

Latest posts