What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV rights thread part 4

Big Sam

First Grade
No you will need to find an illegal stream from the UK/NZ since they get those games live.

Funny isn't it.

Mate I know. When I lived in Europe I bought one of those livenrl passes and watched the Sunday 9 game live. Felt weird that everyone back here had to wait another hour to watch it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Indian websites are your friend! $3 a month, get in there!

Fox mentioned having app rights but web and mobile rights still up for grabs. No reason that the Friday night games couldn;t be streamed live as part of that deal. What is Telstras deal with AFL in this regard? I guess they will want something like this if we expect them to fork out $100mill+

some11

Referee

LESStar58

Referee
I bet the Western Force will be rubbing their hands at the prospect of signing up those 20K RL fans in perth who are sick of waiting for a team!

Bit of a worry that there is no guarantee in there of FTA games being aired live or close to nationally. Nothing in it I can see to stop them going back to midnight in Melbourne and Perth.

If you believed the stories the Storm were a stop gap for "rugby" fans in Melbourne until they got a 'real' rugby team. Didn't work out too well for the Rabbles did it? A Super Rugby team has had little no affect on the Storm at all.

Agree with 2nd paragraph though. I knew the current Gem deal was only green lit so Nine could show they were making some kind of "effort". I expect us to get well and truley f**ked in this regard. Surely it didn't take that much to stipulate it be live in to Melbourne, Hobart, Adelaide at best. Perth different story with 2 hour delay.

dogslife

Coach
The Broncos are likely to play every home match on a Friday night. If they don’t like it, “I don’t care,” says Gyngell, “they’re going to do quite well out of the money they’re going to get from us.”
Wow, what a merkin

beave

Coach
http://sportsbusinessinsider.com.au...hat-at-announcement-of-1-025b-broadcast-deal/

As a Broncos member I'd like to apologise to supporters of other clubs, Gyngell is a class A kuunt.

I am no fan of AFL but why is Gyngell saying shit like 'pushing AFL out of western Sydney' when he is an exec of a TV company? I think that is really unprofessional and not really within the scope of that role. He deadset looked pretty pissed off and tired today, I think he had minimal sleep over night but it's no excuse to act like a complete f**khead at the press conference.

dogslife

Coach

Bluebags1908

Juniors
Very happy with the money side of it. Not happy at all with the FTA coverage - only one FTA game is a joke and am so sick of Channel 9's generally poor coverage and always watching Broncos every week.

However, I think the comments from John Grant stating that game has been run "on the smell of an oily rag" is telling. It means that their priority for this deal is the cash. The better FTA coverage can come later - particularly when you consider that the Channel 9/Fox first/last rights bids are now removed. This is a HUGE win for the game and WILL earn the game a stack more income for future rights deals as it increases bidding tension between networks.

I don't have a problem in principle with the second Friday night game being a Queensland-featured match tailored for the Queensland market, but what really frustrates me is that Channel 9 seems to forget that there are TWO other Queensland teams in the comp. Do they know that the Titans and Cowboys even exist? I and many others would find this arrangement much, much, more acceptable if the 2nd Friday night matches was reasonably shared around between the 3 Queensland clubs (albeit I understand that there would be some problems with the Cowboys hosting too many Friday night matches as their supporters travel from far and wide and won’t be able to make it to a Friday night game after work). Isn’t the Gold Coast included in Brisbane’s OzTam TV ratings area? If so, then what’s the problem with showing more Titans games on Friday nights? They would basically be a 2nd Brisbane team in the eyes of OzTam and for ratings purposes.

dogslife

Coach
If so, then what?s the problem with showing more Titans games on Friday nights? They would basically be a 2nd Brisbane team in the eyes of OzTam and for ratings purposes.
Their hillbilly fans simply refuse to watch any team that isn't the Broncos, and the ratings take a nosedive

Jason Maher

Immortal
It's not just the highlighted comment, but every comment from Gyngell in that article shows him to be so far up his own arsehole he can lick the back of his tonsils. What an absolute merkin. I think it's plain now why nien are so f**ked - it comes from the top down.

dogslife

Coach
Seems he's doing his best to alienate just about every group of fans before the 2013 season even kicks off

But hey that's gotta be good for the game too right :sarcasm:

Ziggy the God

First Grade
One of the things that stood out for me when the news broke was the lack of HD on FTA, but I can live with it if it switches over in 2014.

It is disappointing that Nine won again and that there has been a lack of change in regards to the coverage that has been discussed on the thread.

That has to be weighed up against the huge windfall for the game that will underwrite every club, and to invest into the game. We have been broke since SL, but no more.

Further, having a fixed schedule is brilliant. This will no doubt see more ticketed members and bigger crowds. Not sure about attending Sunday night games, but they will get better ratings than Monday night Football.

The last rights option was 'gifted' to the holders, and then we had to extend the News portion to 2027 to get them out of the game. Don't discount how much that has cost the game to extinguish, but we will better for it next time.

Not much has been discussed about the Foxtel App for NRL. Anyone who downloaded their Olympic app will tell you how brilliant it was. I will definitely be getting it.

So overall, we didn't get everything that we wanted, and I hear the guys complaining that it was all about the money, but in the cold light of day we didn't have the option this time. Build up a war chest and then you can force your hand next time over whatever platform we will be watching from in 5 years time.

We will have more in the bank at the end of this contract than the AFL, as they will be pissing the whole lot against the wall propping up 2 white elephant sides let alone the rest of the deadbeat clubs outside of 4 or 5 of them. Bookmark it.

Xfactor1979

Bench
AFL Fans are going like this over the amount achieved->

jackie-chan-meme-why.jpg

1 Because the AFL fans are misbelieving that they are taking over the country with the shit and how rugby league will go extinct in 5 years

2 The monetary amount (just a little bit less than the AFL) is damn impressive for the code which has no teams in Adelaide and Perth, and is in no hurry to expand

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Gyngell also said there was some guy he would never negotiate with again, who was that? He really looked bitter today.

adamkungl

Immortal
Imo...The money is excellent. The downside is that it's a lost opportunity to make such much need changes in the relationship between the NRL and its broadcasters.

I don't expect the NRL will be taking full advantage of the opportunities offered by high speed internet, but I hope to be proven wrong.

I don't expect Channel 9 to stop shitcanning the game, to improve the quality of their coverage, or to show the international game the slightest shred of respect.

I hope the pre-scheduling means a fairer allocation of games for teams like the Warriors, Canberra, and Cronulla, even allowing for the inevitable Bronco Night Football. Again though...why would Channel 9 change when they've been given no incentive to? On a side note - apparently nothing forcing Nine to show games live in Melbourne or Perth. Prepare for the worst.

As for the 7.15 GF - I liked the twilight one but it's dead set the biggest non-issue in the game.

On the scheduling. Sunday Night's not too bad. Seems odd that it's only some weeks. Maybe it will be every week once we add 2 new teams. I would have preferred Saturday Arvo. No more live games is pretty much farcical.

Speaking of expansion... No word on it.

Summary - good money, but some lost opportunities. 9 are grade A merkins and have no incentive to improve, and I fully expect that they won't.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Gyngell also said there was some guy he would never negotiate with again, who was that? He really looked bitter today.
Sign him up now I say. Screw Gyngell. Anybody he doesn't like should immediately be added to the books just to make his life hard. Cranky b*stard. He thinks he is Kerry Packer, but he isn't fit to be the Kerry's ashtray.

I hope at the end of this deal Gyngell gets the feel that the next deal is going to cost him double again to even be in the ball park. And as Wally would say, terms will be dictated to him. Not the other way around. He has 5 years and better stop pissing RL around or it may disappear from under his feet. Fox better wake up too. Alternatives are coming soon and they may both be getting close to obsolete in 5 years if they don't start getting smart.

dogslife

Coach
f**k yeah hopefully we get 5 years of Wally and Locky too! He and old gravel throat can dictate terms till their hearts content