What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV rights thread part 4

Frailty

First Grade
Missed the bit where he basically told the NRL and clubs that he will do whatever the f**k he wants?

Fmd

But it's more money!!!!!!

Seriously, even Buzz Rothfield thinks this is a good deal - these spastics are agreeing with Rothfield for f**k sake.

age.s

First Grade
But it's growing the game... By Foxtel showing 3 games from Toyota Cup, NSW Cup and Schoolboys...

Wait? They already do that, and Schoolboys moves from FTA to Foxtel?

That's a win.

Then we must be allowed to expand? Wait? No expansion?

Then we must be making the game more available? Wait? Same amount of FTA games featuring the same teams?

But it's $1 Billion!!!

See this is the problem with the whingers. There's nothing wrong with highlighting the negatives with the deal but sarcastically deriding the money as an irrelevance moves well past stupidity into the realms of geniusation.

It's f**king hugely important, and deserves to be put up there as a significant positive about the deal that will help the game at every level, not tacked on as an afterthought to mock the people who are providing reasoned debate on the issue.

Get a grip. Or don't. Whatever. You'll all probably cool down in a week and realize what complete idiots you've been about it anyway.

Parra

Referee
Werent you saying 6 months ago that the first and last rights would prevent the NRL getting anywhere near a billion dollars?

No. I have no idea how they value these things. I have always said that first and last rights were a significant issue and that their inclusion should never have been tolerated in establishing the ARLC. What happened yesterday vindicated that position. Extinguishing these rights is a great outcome and it means that the door is open for a different deal in 5 years time. Ironically, 2017 is when this would have happened anyway when the NRL partnership was to cease. So all we have is essentially and extension of the existing deal to it's natural conclusion with one of the broadcasters having to tip in more than they wanted it seems.

It is suggested that Fox used their veto rights to ensure that nine was the FTA broadcaster, essentially scuttling any deal with other FTA channels.

It is good that this cannot happen next time around.

There were plenty of people suggesting that these first & last rights would have no effect anyway, ignoring the value that News Ltd placed on them to the point of being a deal breaker.

Anyway, it's done now and it is good.

age.s

First Grade
Missed the bit where he basically told the NRL and clubs that he will do whatever the f**k he wants?

Fmd

Which was a hugely unprofessional public statement made through gritted teeth by bloke who clearly had a shit day.

Moffo

Referee
But it's more money!!!!!!

Seriously, even Buzz Rothfield thinks this is a good deal - these spastics are agreeing with Rothfield for f**k sake.

Yeh it is a parade of the gimps in here, being led by el diablo

Frailty

First Grade
See this is the problem with the whingers. There's nothing wrong with highlighting the negatives with the deal but sarcastically deriding the money as an irrelevance moves well past stupidity into the realms of geniusation.

It's f**king hugely important, and deserves to be put up there as a significant positive about the deal that will help the game at every level, not tacked on as an afterthought to mock the people who are providing reasoned debate on the issue.

Get a grip. Or don't. Whatever. You'll all probably cool down in a week and realize what complete idiots you've been about it anyway.

The only reason I say this is because this all people seem to be caring about. This deal does NOTHING to grow the game, it is a simple cash injection which will go to the clubs and players. But the problem is the money to the clubs is wasted when all it will do is increase their operating costs competing against each other - not make them profitable, or expand their reach.

The Broncos recorded a record half year profit this year, and the Broncos freely admit this is because of their coverage on FTA in increasing sponsorship and merchandise sales - NOT grants from the NRL.

You can spend as much money as you want on grassroots, but it doesn't mean the game grows. Over the last 5 years the AFL has spent billions on Grassroots and that has not translated into growth of the game at all.

We have accepted money to prevent expansion, prevent growth, prevent control, and prevent strengthening the existing clubs.

This outweighs any of the benefit from the deal.

Brutus

Referee
Gyngell said that if the NRL does not schedule the Broncos for Friday night, they will show a Broncos game anyway. Even if it's a replay from 1993.

qldseaeagle96

Juniors
No one has mentioned in this day and age of technology that if you really want to watch the second fri night game then you have to totally disconnect from the world. No Internet, social media or mobile phones in case your mates want to celebrate/ rub in the score if your game. To allow for delayed telecast is an absolute and utter joke.

Frailty

First Grade
No one has mentioned in this day and age of technology that if you really want to watch the second fri night game then you have to totally disconnect from the world. No Internet, social media or mobile phones in case your mates want to celebrate/ rub in the score if your game. To allow for delayed telecast is an absolute and utter joke.

In NSW (and Victoria) its ok... I don't want to watch the Broncos anyway.

clarency

Juniors
The only reason I say this is because this all people seem to be caring about. This deal does NOTHING to grow the game, it is a simple cash injection which will go to the clubs and players. But the problem is the money to the clubs is wasted when all it will do is increase their operating costs competing against each other - not make them profitable, or expand their reach.

HHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

You just outright declare exactly what the ARLC will do with the money and then parade on from there.

Maybe we should all just make sh*t up while you're at it huh?

Frailty

First Grade
HHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

You just outright declare exactly what the ARLC will do with the money and then parade on from there.

Maybe we should all just make sh*t up while you're at it huh?

Call me a cynic, but I don't have any faith that the Commission will deliver anything but more money to clubs and players.

Frailty

First Grade
Yes but what if you live in Qld and detest the broncos? I'm sure I'm not the only one!

But, according to the ARLC and Nine, if you live in QLD you MUST be a Broncos fan?!
I hear the ARLC are going to buy everyone a Broncos jersey with their billion dollars.

What a depressing thread. lol

Finally, the game gets the TV money it deserves and it's howled down.

I'd take 1 billion for what we will have over 800 million for every game live each and every time it's offered.

Latest posts