What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tyrone May

Iamback

Coach
You’re right, it was. But May had a lot of people in his corner that were prepared to give him a second chance. That second chance has now been burnt.

Those same people are still in his corner. Still don't think he has done anything wrong

Which is where the issue lies. If he says he didn't mean it as some have taken it, Ivan backs his version.

Those on the board believe their version or those on the fence. Take Ivan and May word for it and come up with other sanctions.

The sponsor will still believe their version. Very messy unlike another charge would be to sort

Last edited:

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Herbert in an earlier post you made that claim since the sex tape trial and judgement May has made 'constant stuff ups'

How, When.

Yep there was the Tik Tok episode. Then the post and photos after the grandfinal.

How is this 'constant stuff ups' ?

Pomoz

Bench
But people ARE pointing at other clubs dickheads and using that as a reason why May should be absolved. Media is media mate, it's never going to change. It's the calls of postcode hate and agendas against Penrith that I don't agree with (and find slightly annoying). I mean up until last season, it was a struggle to find anything about Penrith in the media. Now they apparently hate us and want to see us fall? I just don't buy it. Without May, there's no where near the amount of negative press.

Yes I agree with your second paragraph. @Smug Panther is a God among men ;)
ACT, you are a reasonable man, but I don't see what you are seeing. Can you highlight the posts where people have said it absolves May? I think we are all frustrated that the media highlights our issues and glosses over others. Two players taking illegal drugs is deemed not to be worse than May's post. A man who has been tried, convicted, punished and vilified for it. The Storm players have been slapped on the wrist. The media have whipped the May issue into a frenzy. Absolution isn't an outcome of pointing out the different standard of judgement applied to our club because of media agendas.

May's post was careless, but the media have made it far worse by dragging it on. As a matter of urgency the club should have met with May and got him to release a statement to explain exactly what was meant by the post and to apologise to the woman for making her feel bad. This has been handled by all parties really badly. Especially the dickhead reporter who went and interviewed the girl to get her to react to the post publicly. How did that help her? It just reopened old wounds.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Oh for sure, it's the May publicity I'm talking about brother.

I mentioned earlier that the whole try celebrations bullshit was just that, utter bullshit. (I've quoted the post below)

To me it's tall poppy syndrome, as opposed to a media campaign against the Panthers because we come from Penrith.
Oh sweet.
Yeah I’m on the same page, the May stuff is well within the clubs control to deal with.

Part ways with him and it goes away.

ACTPanthers

Bench
ACT, you are a reasonable man, but I don't see what you are seeing. Can you highlight the posts where people have said it absolves May? I think we are all frustrated that the media highlights our issues and glosses over others. Two players taking illegal drugs is deemed not to be worse than May's post. A man who has been tried, convicted, punished and vilified for it. The Storm players have been slapped on the wrist. The media have whipped the May issue into a frenzy. Absolution isn't an outcome of pointing out the different standard of judgement applied to our club because of media agendas.

May's post was careless, but the media have made it far worse by dragging it on. As a matter of urgency the club should have met with May and got him to release a statement to explain exactly what was meant by the post and to apologise to the woman for making her feel bad. This has been handled by all parties really badly. Especially the dickhead reporter who went and interviewed the girl to get her to react to the post publicly. How did that help her? It just reopened old wounds.
Absolved may have been too strong a word, maybe excused was probably a better choice. My major point is that it shouldn’t matter that the Storm players did what they allegedly did, where talking about our player. I’ve said before that my personal interpretation of his post was a lack of remorse. Sure he had his day in court, got the punishment, but with that post HE pointed to his conviction as some kind of hate towards him that he had to overcome. It wasn’t hate, it was a justified reaction to his illegal activity. That’s my issue.

Second paragraph I wholeheartedly agree with.

Oh, and me being reasonable? I think the missus would disagree ha ha.

Anyway, this is all just our opinions and thoughts. None of us are above anyone else in the grand scheme of things. Except that Silverdale dipshit. We’re all better than him ;)

Iamback

Coach
That's my assumption.

Would we be in this situation if we let him go?
Lets not forget signing Tetevano and we were very close to getting Walker.

Decide now after a minor offence to get rid of him. What if those same sponsor wants all the players that liked the post gone

The_Frog

First Grade
Herbert in an earlier post you made that claim since the sex tape trial and judgement May has made 'constant stuff ups'

How, When.

Yep there was the Tik Tok episode. Then the post and photos after the grandfinal.

How is this 'constant stuff ups' ?
Herbert was his harshest critic on-field as well. Mostly its the same people who thought he wasn't up to first grade standard who are most vocal in calling for his sacking, and I guess current events will have them feeling warm and fuzzy inside. I imagine his criminal conviction is fatal to some. My feeling is that he could well have fought the charges but for some reason didn't and accepted the plea bargain. For what reason, is something not permitted to be posited here.

Blade23

Juniors
Again though. Those sponsors signed on with him in the side knowing the past.

Why sign on in the 1st place? What happens next time something blows up?

I just don't get it. You sign on in RL knowing that at any stage something can blow up.

You know how it goes it Franklin. Whatever the incident big or small Sponsors (businesses) freak out. When the pressure comes from social media about boycotting them for their perceived stance, or sponsorship of an controversial individual.
Most of it comes from people who aren't customers or likely be.

The_Frog

First Grade
Good on the club for sacking him

Shout out to his best mate @The_Frog hang in there mate, he'll find a gig in super league.
That would be ideal for him but probably won't get a visa. The coach who gave him his debut might be interested if the sponsors can be convinced. They did give both Packer and Tetevano a start after all.

Those same people are still in his corner. Still don't think he has done anything wrong

Which is where the issue lies. If he says he didn't mean it as some have taken it, Ivan backs his version.

Those on the board believe their version or those on the fence. Take Ivan and May word for it and come up with other sanctions.
One of the issues here is that we have been coloured by a very negative media reporting of the story. Whether that is anti-negative bias or just creating a bigger story, the reporting of the event has not been balanced. Three examples:
- initially it was reported it was a private post. That has not been mentioned again subsequently. It is important in Situation where the crime is using Instagram to bring the game into disrepute.
- the media consistently reports it as a single picture rather than a series of four pictures.
- the media consistently says it is a post that shows a lack of remorse, rather than can be interpreted as a lack of remorse. As far as I can see there is no explanation of the story of May, and how this might provide context. In fact, the only part of May’s life that matters is the crime.

There are other examples, but these are three main ones.

So when Ivan, who has probably spoken to May (or at least knows him as a person) is on his side, then perhaps that is coming from a position with more knowledge of the context of the situation.

Now I have been in the camp of sacking May for a couple of years (and I wouldn’t re-sign Api also), but I don’t think we should do it just because Abigail Williams has labelled him a witch…

WestyLife

First Grade
Would we be in this situation if we let him go?
Lets not forget signing Tetevano and we were very close to getting Walker.

Decide now after a minor offence to get rid of him. What if those same sponsor wants all the players that liked the post gone

It can be argued the players assumed it was about the media hate and internet trolls particularly after Kent said they're done.

WestyLife

First Grade
You know how it goes it Franklin. Whatever the incident big or small Sponsors (businesses) freak out. When the pressure comes from social media about boycotting them for their perceived stance, or sponsorship of an controversial individual.
Most of it comes from people who aren't customers or likely be.

It's safe to say a lot of genuine members want May gone.

Latest posts