What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UEFA Champions League 2010/11

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
teams never go out to lose but teams like villa last year, and man city this year put out weakened teams as getting into the CL is a 50+mill payday where as a Uefa cup title is a small payday for teams, sad that its become like that but oh well

Definitely.

Many Utd fans consider 06/07 to have been Ronaldo's best season. That was the first season where he became the best in the world (even if Kaka got the award :roll:)

oh you mean the year that Kaka dominated football and lead Milan to the champions league trophy? Eyeroll worthy indeed.

WireMan

Bench
oh you mean the year that Kaka dominated football and lead Milan to the champions league trophy? Eyeroll worthy indeed.

...and helped Milan win the league?

No one cares about the Europa cup. Not even German teams. Well Spanish teams do, but due to a shocking depth of quality in there league they are not good enough to win it.

I don't understand it myself. Its a European cup that is easier to win than the FA cup, so why English clubs don't go for it i do not know. Its good prep for if they get to the champs league about how to rotate squads and increases the team profile.

hellteam

First Grade
I don't care about the uefa cup... unless, of course, spurs make the semi finals. Then I would care

they need to bring back the cup winners cup as well and filter more CL teams down to the uefa cup and cpc

too many scrubs teams in the CL as it stands

Mad Dogg

Juniors
Dominated football? :lol:

League - not even close. Totti was easily the best player in the Serie A that season. Kaka wasn't even the best player in a Milan team that finished 4th, 36 points behind Inter.

CL - He was arguably the best player in the CL that season. Definitely in the earlier rounds. Not so much in the latter ones (Gattuso and Ambrosini were the best against us), but by that stage the media had built him up so much that the hype carried through as if he'd destroyed us himself.

International - Decided not to even play for Brazil in the end of season games if I remember correctly.

Over the course of the entire season, Ronaldo was easily the best player on the planet that season. Almost as good in the CL, and his league and international form was lightyears ahead.

boxhead

First Grade

League - not even close. Totti was easily the best player in the Serie A that season. Kaka wasn't even the best player in a Milan team that finished 4th, 36 points behind Inter.

CL - He was arguably the best player in the CL that season. Definitely in the earlier rounds. Not so much in the latter ones (Gattuso and Ambrosini were the best against us), but by that stage the media had built him up so much that the hype carried through as if he'd destroyed us himself.

International - Decided not to even play for Brazil in the end of season games if I remember correctly.

Over the course of the entire season, Ronaldo was easily the best player on the planet that season. Almost as good in the CL, and his league and international form was lightyears ahead.

I'm sorry, but Kaka was destroying teams on a near-weekly basis. Ronaldo was in amazing form but I don't think he even comes close. There's a reason Kaka has the nick-name "the unstoppable football player".

smh

Then I realised you were talking up Fake Ronaldo and it all made sense.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I'm sorry, but Kaka was destroying teams on a near-weekly basis. Ronaldo was in amazing form but I don't think he even comes close. There's a reason Kaka has the nick-name "the unstoppable football player".

Mad Dogg is right, Kaka won that award solely on his CL form. He was average in Serie A that year.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
if that was the last year he played at Milan, I agree, he was poor due a leg injury the season before

he's never been the same

boxhead

First Grade
Mad Dogg is right, Kaka won that award solely on his CL form. He was average in Serie A that year.

Regardless, he won several of the most highly-coveted awards in football in the one year, including FIFA World Player of the Year, UEFA Club Player of the Year and the Ball'on D'or. He won them all for a reason.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Regardless, he won several of the most highly-coveted awards in football in the one year, including FIFA World Player of the Year, UEFA Club Player of the Year and the Ball'on D'or. He won them all for a reason.

Yes, and they were all based on his CL form, not Serie A form.

Yes, and they were all based on his CL form, not Serie A form.

It wasn't half as bad as when Fabio Cannavaro won it! Cannavaro was nothing short of a joke at the Franco's and wasn't even Italy's best player at the world cup.

Ronaldo in 2002 was another shocker, had a wonderful world cup then spent the rest of the year injured.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
So are you saying C.Ronaldo deserved those awards? Because that was the whole point as to why Kaka was brought up.

Yes, probably. Kaka didn't deserve it based solely on his form in one tournament.

Tonearm Terrorwrist said:
It wasn't half as bad as when Fabio Cannavaro won it! Cannavaro was nothing short of a joke at the Franco's and wasn't even Italy's best player at the world cup.

Cannavaro was crap at RM, but he was Italy's best at the WC, probably along with Pirlo. Didn't even pick up a single yellow card in the tournament despite playing every minute of every game, that is unheard of for a central defender.

And that's one area where Messi is miles ahead of Ronaldo.

Whereas Ronaldo doesn't have the ability to dribble past multiple defenders - hence why he always looks to go down - Messi can get bumped and hacked to shreds but does his best to stay on his feet 90% of the time.

And that's because he knows he's good enough to beat two or three defenders and score. Case in point when he got hacked by Diarra for about the 5th time...Ronaldo would have gone down for certain but Messi managed to stay on his feet and continue his run.

Did you happen to watch Franco Madrid v Getafe? Try and get a hold of some highlights, about the 20 minute mark Ronaldo is charging at the defence with 3 team mates all in better positions than he is so he takes on the defender with a stepover and promptly has the ball take off him, hilarious stuff to watch. He scores a hattrick against this nuff nuff team and all is well. The guy plays for Real Madrid, his midfield partner leads the UCL in assists and almost double the assists he has in the league and Ronaldo thinks it's win or die entirely on him.

The guy is such a ball hog it isn't funny. Ronaldo has 12 assists in all competitions in 52 games, fantastic effort from the ball hog.

boxhead

First Grade
Uhh I've seen Ronaldo dribble around several defenders before, in fact I see it quite commonly. Don't know what you guys are watching, maybe you should closely watch the Francos? Did it a few times in the Bilbau game a month or so back, and two months ago did several beautiful moves around Malaga (yes I know, but still an example) defenders. He's nowhere near Messi as a dribbler but he's still far ahead of most other players.
Not denying he dives though.
That is probably my only huge criticism of him; he is extremely selfish with the ball. It's a team game and regardless of the highlights/goals he provides, if he wasn't such a ball hog I think his assists stat would definitely be much higher!