What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UEFA Champions League 2010/11

Bulldog Force

Referee
I can almost swear that if this same discussion was taking place 12 months earlier, everyone would be saying Barca's got this game in the basket. It seems the tide has turned. 12 months is a long time in football.

shiznit

Coach
I can almost swear that if this same discussion was taking place 12 months earlier, everyone would be saying Barca's got this game in the basket. It seems the tide has turned. 12 months is a long time in football.
as good as Barca are... i dont think ANYONE has the game in the basket against Manchester United... Sir Alex is by far the best manager in europe... and he gives us every chance.

but i see what your saying... 12 months is a long time...

i remember going into Rome... on the back of the previous 12 months where United won the CL and returned for there 2nd consecutive final... alot of people were picking them to steam roll through Barca.

hopefully we've learnt from that night...

Barca are deserved favorites... but United are good enough to put Barca away if they get a chance.

boxhead

First Grade
as good as Barca are... i dont think ANYONE has the game in the basket against Manchester United... Sir Alex is by far the best manager in europe... and he gives us every chance.

but i see what your saying... 12 months is a long time...

i remember going into Rome... on the back of the previous 12 months where United won the CL and returned for there 2nd consecutive final... alot of people were picking them to steam roll through Barca.

hopefully we've learnt from that night...

Barca are deserved favorites... but United are good enough to put Barca away if they get a chance.

Spoken like a true ManU fan!
1. You'd have to consider Mourinho and Guardiola for starters as far as the best coaches go before you make that sort of claim.
2. United will only get the chance if Barca aren't at their best.
Fact is, if Barca are at their best, they will dominate the game and it won't even be a contest. I mean, this is the team that destroyed Madrid 5-nil not that long ago, a team with much better talent than ManU.

You don't think anyone has the game in the basket against ManU? Well that's good, because we all know anything can happen in football. I'm sure no-one has the game in the basket against several other top teams too.

WireMan

Bench
Spoken like a true ManU fan!
1. You'd have to consider Mourinho and Guardiola for starters as far as the best coaches go before you make that sort of claim.
2. United will only get the chance if Barca aren't at their best.
Fact is, if Barca are at their best, they will dominate the game and it won't even be a contest. I mean, this is the team that destroyed Madrid 5-nil not that long ago, a team with much better talent than ManU.

You don't think anyone has the game in the basket against ManU? Well that's good, because we all know anything can happen in football. I'm sure no-one has the game in the basket against several other top teams too.

1. Sir Alex is the best of all time. No-one else has come close to what he has done.

2. Rubbish. Both teams playing at the top of there games would be very close. These two teams are the best in the world. If one has a bad day, the other will be good enough to win. If they are both at the top of there games, it could go either way.

Madrid, meh keep em. Not a patch on either of these teams. They have done nothing to prove otherwise.

No-one has it in the basket against United. What he said was true. Same truth for a few teams, but it doesn't make the point false.

boxhead

First Grade
1. Sir Alex is the best of all time. No-one else has come close to what he has done.

2. Rubbish. Both teams playing at the top of there games would be very close. These two teams are the best in the world. If one has a bad day, the other will be good enough to win. If they are both at the top of there games, it could go either way.

Madrid, meh keep em. Not a patch on either of these teams. They have done nothing to prove otherwise.

No-one has it in the basket against United. What he said was true. Same truth for a few teams, but it doesn't make the point false.

There might be a few people disagreeing with you about who the best coach of all time is, in fact I know several ManU fans who have a better mind for the game than anyone else seem to think Mounrinho is the better coach! Certainly not for accomplishments yet, but I can see why many people think he and Guardiola could very well match and better Sir Alex's records. Not to mention past managers as well!

Your joking right? That's about as blind as it gets, even for ManU fans. Barcelona at their best will absolutely destroy ManU and anyone questioning that needs to get over themselves. How much of Barca do you watch? Can you compare the coaching styles and the playing talent in the team? Guardiola has made this team into possibly one of the greatest club sides of all time. Real Madrid, despite not having won as much silverware in the same period, would still have as much claim to be the second-best team in the world when they are at their best. Also one of the few teams to beat Barca playing all out defence....:sarcasm:
Look, it would be nice if ManU won, but honestly, if Barcelona are at their best, it will be a fight but ManU will have little chance whatsoever.

Pfft, and I said that was taking away from the other team and taking away from several other teams in point of fact. Football is football and you can never say a team is a certainty to win, I'm sure little Hercules couldn't believe they defeated Barca this season either.

shiznit

Coach
There might be a few people disagreeing with you about who the best coach of all time is, in fact I know several ManU fans who have a better mind for the game than anyone else seem to think Mounrinho is the better coach! Certainly not for accomplishments yet, but I can see why many people think he and Guardiola could very well match and better Sir Alex's records. Not to mention past managers as well!

Your joking right? That's about as blind as it gets, even for ManU fans. Barcelona at their best will absolutely destroy ManU and anyone questioning that needs to get over themselves. How much of Barca do you watch? Can you compare the coaching styles and the playing talent in the team? Guardiola has made this team into possibly one of the greatest club sides of all time. Real Madrid, despite not having won as much silverware in the same period, would still have as much claim to be the second-best team in the world when they are at their best. Also one of the few teams to beat Barca playing all out defence....:sarcasm:
Look, it would be nice if ManU won, but honestly, if Barcelona are at their best, it will be a fight but ManU will have little chance whatsoever.

Pfft, and I said that was taking away from the other team and taking away from several other teams in point of fact. Football is football and you can never say a team is a certainty to win, I'm sure little Hercules couldn't believe they defeated Barca this season either.
you have to be kidding about Managers mate...

This season has proven exactly why Sir Alex is the best manager on the planet.

Hes taken a squad which many people considered(and some still consider) the worst United side of the Ferguson era to its 19th Title in probably the toughest league in Europe. and to the final of the Champions League.

Pep & Jose are good managers... but for longevity & titles won i dont think you can even compare them with Sir Alex. and thats no slight on them...

i wouldn't be stupid enough to compare Nani or Valencia with Messi... because while there good players... there just not on the same level as Messi. once again thats no slight on them...

its the truth... Sir Alex is the biggest reason why were are where we are today.

im not being cocky or anything... Barca deserve to be favourates ... but to say a club like Manchester United have little or no chance if Barca turn up is idiotic.

If Barca aren't at there best and lose it will be because United forced them to play that way...

WireMan

Bench

im not being cocky or anything... Barca deserve to be favourates ... but to say a club like Manchester United have little or no chance if Barca turn up is idiotic.

If Barca aren't at there best and lose it will be because United forced them to play that way...

Shiznit mate, good answer.

To say anything else is just dumb.

Not going into the manager debate on the champs league thread.

boxhead

First Grade
you have to be kidding about Managers mate...

This season has proven exactly why Sir Alex is the best manager on the planet.

Hes taken a squad which many people considered(and some still consider) the worst United side of the Ferguson era to its 19th Title in probably the toughest league in Europe. and to the final of the Champions League.

Pep & Jose are good managers... but for longevity & titles won i dont think you can even compare them with Sir Alex. and thats no slight on them...

i wouldn't be stupid enough to compare Nani or Valencia with Messi... because while there good players... there just not on the same level as Messi. once again thats no slight on them...

its the truth... Sir Alex is the biggest reason why were are where we are today.

I'm not taking anything away from Alex, and there's no questioning he's accomplished more than any other coach. But at present, when people talk about who is the best coach in the world at the moment (it's a matter of perspective), there's a reason quite a few people will say 'Pep Guardiola'.
It's not idiotic to say that ManU have little chance if Barca are at their best. Barca have been at their best several times against major clubs and absolutely destroyed them.
The only club I remember giving Barca a run for their money recently was a team that won with an offside goal.
No matter how you slice it, Barcelona at their best means they have probably a 95% chance of winning.

ManU are a great side that is based around simple principles, such as hard work, never giving up, and using players suited to these roles with a mixing of exceptional talents to outlast and overcome other football teams (from what I see, I'm sure people will disagree with my assessment). Their dominance this season despite having arguably the weakest squad of the top six teams (Chelsea, ManU, City, Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal) is a testament to Ferguson's ability as a coach and to the strength of the team.

But you have to understand that Barca fans have every right to be cocky and ManU fans need to realize this is one of the very few games where they are not the favourite or not heavily in the betting to win it.
The line you said about ManU never being beaten to me was acting as if ManU are the only team you can say that about, when in football there are a hell of a lot of teams you could say that about.

Fact that I think anyone with a brain accepts.
Barcelona at their best - destroys - ManU at their best.

I don't know if you watch them play but I do and, even as a Real supporter, I have every bloody right to say they have a claim to being the best club side of all time.

Shiznit mate, good answer.

To say anything else is just dumb.

Not going into the manager debate on the champs league thread.

:lol: Your the one that said Sir Alex was the best of all time.
What gets me is this air of confidence I see about so many ManU fans here in Australia that I can talk to or listen to (most of them couldn't tell what side Nani plays on) who seem to think ManU are the 'favourites'. No matter what you might think, and I can tell you I am bloody well used to seeing Barcelona destroy my team, if Barcelona play like they can and play as they should then they will more than likely win. The two teams at their best is not even a competition, but that's not the fault of the ManU team when no-one else comes close either.

Last edited:

WireMan

Bench
I'm not taking anything away from Alex, and there's no questioning he's accomplished more than any other coach. But at present, when people talk about who is the best coach in the world at the moment (it's a matter of perspective), there's a reason quite a few people will say 'Pep Guardiola'.
It's not idiotic to say that ManU have little chance if Barca are at their best. Barca have been at their best several times against major clubs and absolutely destroyed them.
The only club I remember giving Barca a run for their money recently was a team that won with an offside goal.
No matter how you slice it, Barcelona at their best means they have probably a 95% chance of winning.

ManU are a great side that is based around simple principles, such as hard work, never giving up, and using players suited to these roles with a mixing of exceptional talents to outlast and overcome other football teams (from what I see, I'm sure people will disagree with my assessment). Their dominance this season despite having arguably the weakest squad of the top six teams (Chelsea, ManU, City, Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal) is a testament to Ferguson's ability as a coach and to the strength of the team.

But you have to understand that Barca fans have every right to be cocky and ManU fans need to realize this is one of the very few games where they are not the favourite or not heavily in the betting to win it.
The line you said about ManU never being beaten to me was acting as if ManU are the only team you can say that about, when in football there are a hell of a lot of teams you could say that about.

I don't know if you watch them play but I do and, even as a Real supporter, I have every bloody right to say they have a claim to being the best club side of all time.

:lol: Your the one that said Sir Alex was the best of all time.
What gets me is this air of confidence I see about so many ManU fans here in Australia that I can talk to or listen to (most of them couldn't tell what side Nani plays on) who seem to think ManU are the 'favourites'. No matter what you might think, and I can tell you I am bloody well used to seeing Barcelona destroy my team, if Barcelona play like they can and play as they should then they will more than likely win. The two teams at their best is not even a competition, but that's not the fault of the ManU team when no-one else comes close either.

Welcome to the world of Barca Hyperbole. :roll:

I don't know where to start so i'm not going to bother. After they have won 17-0 or something i expect them to cure all the worlds ills. A Middle East peace agreement called the Messi-pact or something.

shiznit

Coach

:lol:

that seriously has to be the most dumbest logic ive seen on here in awhile...

your argument is almost an oxymoron...

do you understand how head to head sports works??

ill explain it simply for you...

its literally impossible for both sides to be at there best head to head... because they would contradict each other.

If either side is at there best... than the other side cant be.

boxhead

First Grade
Welcome to the world of Barca Hyperbole. :roll:

I don't know where to start so i'm not going to bother. After they have won 17-0 or something i expect them to cure all the worlds ills. A Middle East peace agreement called the Messi-pact or something.

:lol: I'm not even a Barcelona fan and I'm not even cheering for them in the final. Frankly, arguing with ManU fans is like trying to discern who Everton's best player is from an Australian, it just doesn't work.
:lol:

that seriously has to be the most dumbest logic ive seen on here in awhile...

your argument is almost an oxymoron...

do you understand how head to head sports works??

ill explain it simply for you...

its literally impossible for both sides to be at there best head to head... because they would contradict each other.

If either side is at there best... than the other side cant be.

I'm not the one that originally brought up the 'two teams at their best' logic, WireMan did, and I was responding to his logic with the same logic. But apparently ManU fans are above contradiction and they are never wrong :roll:

By the way, if ya's haven't realized yet, I'm sort of, what's the expression? "Taking the p*ss" :D

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
:lol: I'm not even a Barcelona fan and I'm not even cheering for them in the final. Frankly, arguing with ManU fans is like trying to discern who Everton's best player is from an Australian, it just doesn't work.

I'm not the one that originally brought up the 'two teams at their best' logic, WireMan did, and I was responding to his logic with the same logic. But apparently ManU fans are above contradiction and they are never wrong :roll:

By the way, if ya's haven't realized yet, I'm sort of, what's the expression? "Taking the p*ss" :D
To put it simply...

the way i see it...

United need to play closer to there best to beat Barca.

Theres less margin for error for our boys.

But they can do it.

boxhead

First Grade
Oh there's no doubt in my mind that if a team can shut down Barca it's ManU, and I give them massive props for their defence and style of play.
I just think that if Barca are turned on, ManU will struggle big-time.

WireMan

Bench
Oh there's no doubt in my mind that if a team can shut down Barca it's ManU, and I give them massive props for their defence and style of play.
I just think that if Barca are turned on, ManU will struggle big-time.

no doubt? a few posts ago you said if Barca turn up they will DESTROY United. How is that no doubt?

I said if both teams play well it will be a close game. If one team doesn't the other is plenty good enough to take advantage. its simple. We'll have to wait and see.

boxhead

First Grade
no doubt? a few posts ago you said if Barca turn up they will DESTROY United. How is that no doubt?

I said if both teams play well it will be a close game. If one team doesn't the other is plenty good enough to take advantage. its simple. We'll have to wait and see.

Not destroy so much as control the game, I'd never expect ManU to ever lose by 2 or more goals. I hope it's a great game and I am sure it will be, I just have the lingering fear in the back of my mind that Barcelona could really dominate the game and it won't be as much of a contest as it could be, but hey no team fights like ManU so I am very happy to be proven wrong.

weasel

First Grade
lol, if Barca had their finishing boots on in the first half and Man U hadn't been given that offside goal it'd be 5 or 6 blot right now.

Latest posts