What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UEFA Champions League 2010/11

aqua_duck

Coach
For sure his assists could be higher but I think he prefers the glory of scoring himself. People forget about this man's ego, this is a bloke who once claimed to be the first, second, and third best player in the world, a bloke who once gloated about being sent here by the god of football to show people his skills.
Ronaldo is obsessed with being the best, and I think to him one way he can justify to himself that he is the best is by outscoring Messi

boxhead

First Grade
I guess it depends on the role in the team for a player...I'm sure Jose would be yelling at him plenty of times to give the ball to his team-mate though. What's most important on an accolade sheet is the goals you have contributed to, so assists and goals, and in that category I'm sure Messi is far ahead of him?

shiznit

Coach
obviously ive got a soft spot for Ronaldo... but i think hes changed his style somewhat to his Man Utd days.

i dont think hes a big diver though... well he wasnt a massive diver in his last couple of years at Utd. he seemed to have toned it down from his early days where he was terrible.

i think he needs a strong manager to keep his big ego in check.

if was was Real Madrid... id spend that galatico money on getting Sir Alex over to Madrid... what hes done with this Utd side this season is astonishing.

just my opinion of course...

Mad Dogg

Juniors
For sure his assists could be higher but I think he prefers the glory of scoring himself. People forget about this man's ego, this is a bloke who once claimed to be the first, second, and third best player in the world, a bloke who once gloated about being sent here by the god of football to show people his skills.
Ronaldo is obsessed with being the best, and I think to him one way he can justify to himself that he is the best is by outscoring Messi
To be fair, he was obviously joking around when he said that. Likewise the time he (along with Rio and Anderson) was asked who the best player in history was and he said himself and then the three of them burst out laughing. It's the kind of stuff guys joke about amongst themselves all the time, Ronaldo just isn't afraid to say it when you stick a mic in his face. And then the media just report the statements as if he was deadly serious.

Ronaldo is obsessed with being the best, and probably does believe himself to be so. But it's that obsession and unwavering belief which has allowed him to become the beast he is today, everything he does in life is built around being the best he can be. I wish Rooney had half of that drive so he wouldn't come back at the beginning of every season somewhat over-weight as he's let himself go over the off-season.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
i dont think hes a big diver though... well he wasnt a massive diver in his last couple of years at Utd. he seemed to have toned it down from his early days where he was terrible
Ronaldo all but stopped in 06/07, then slowly got worse again in his last two seasons with us.

The funny thing is, it was 06/07 where the biggest uproar about it was made. Southgate made a massive deal about him diving to win a penalty against his Middlesbrough side. And the one dive he did commit that season did come in that game. But it wasn't the penalty decision (which was a definite penalty), it was just a challenge back near the centre circle where Ronaldo kicked the ball past a player then stuck a leg out to the side to deliberate get contact and fell down.

So the one season he almost stopped diving entirely is the season he gets absolutely reamed in the media for diving, for a situation where he didn't even dive. Can hardly blame him for slipping back into bad habits in the following seasons.

boxhead

First Grade
lol dude just named Malaga and Bilbao as examples of running around defenders, that's League One quality defending.

But......Copa Del Rey :lol:

That's what 49 goals from a ball hog gets you: The Copa del Rey

I said examples of games that I have seen, I don't get to watch much of my team (I keep forgetting I can record them). I'm absolutely certain millions of people who watch him could provide many more examples against much better teams, case in point Tottenham.

WireMan

Bench
lol dude just named Malaga and Bilbao as examples of running around defenders, that's League One quality defending.

hmmm, so playing against garbage means Ronaldo ain't that good? But Messi is the best in the world...

Also the irony of someone with Robbens pic going on about ball hogs.

Awesome thread. This used to be about the champs league but has turned into another Ronaldo vs Messi debate. Surely we could keep all that in a seperate place.

shiznit

Coach
yeah... enough of Ronaldo...

so whats everyones feelings about the final??

ive been wanting to draw Barca since they destroyed us in Rome.

i can understand that were big underdogs for this final... but ive got a good feeling about this.

This team isnt necessarily the best team out there... but geezz they seem to do well with what theve got.

were gonna need massive games by Park & Fletcher... there gonna have to work like monsters in the middle of the park.

CC_Eagle

First Grade
Huge game. The most anticipated CL final since Arsenal V Barca for me.

A heap of pressure on United to perform at Wembley, and the usual expectations of Barcelona. Both sides are in decent form and without any serious injury or suspension concerns.

Here's hoping it's more entertaining than El Boringsco.

Ridders

Coach
Dunno why, just get the feeling that United will win.

Barca's play has been as good as ever, but man are they wasteful. For all their dominance against Arsenal, they were a goal away from being knocked out. As good as their away leg win against Real was, their goals only did come after Real were down to 10 men.

They haven't yet had to pay for their tendency to waste chances. Can see it catching up to them in the Final.

Will be interesting to see how United play it. Can't see Ferguson trying to pull of a Mourinho like performance (or at least I'd hope not).

WireMan

Bench
yeah... enough of Ronaldo...

so whats everyones feelings about the final??

ive been wanting to draw Barca since they destroyed us in Rome.

i can understand that were big underdogs for this final... but ive got a good feeling about this.

This team isnt necessarily the best team out there... but geezz they seem to do well with what theve got.

were gonna need massive games by Park & Fletcher... there gonna have to work like monsters in the middle of the park.

Interesting to see if Fletcher plays. He has a few weeks to prove his fitness.

I hope we play 4-4-2 with Rooney as the withdrawn forward, so he can drop to mid when we don't have the ball but support Chico upfront. He will help cut out the pass the holding midfielder, which is the usual ball Barca like to play if an attack is coming to nothing.

Chico has enough pace to really trouble the Barca defence.

The wingers i would go with Park and Valencia. I like the solid nature of there play. Nani on the bench in case we need him.

The other option is 5 in mid, with Anderson in for Chico. To me that would invite to much pressure and isolate Rooney. I hope Fergie is true to his word and not fear Barca. Respect them yes, but not fear them.

Going to be a difficuly game to call. Hopefully we will get a ref who doesn't fall for all the play acting. In fact I hope Barca don't try to cheat and try to beat us fair. We don't need another match like the semi. If they do that, fair enough, they are a hell of a team.

Disagree with one point you make though. This team is one of the best out there. Monster defence, solid mid and awesome forward line. People seem to think United getting to the final is due to an easy run, well it isn't. Zero goals conceded away from home, beat the French and English champions.

Anyway thats my view on United, how does one of the resident Barca fans think they will line up?

Mad Dogg

Juniors
It's going to be interesting to see how we're going to line up.

In the last two months or so our big match line-up has actually reverted back to a 442 with Carrick and Giggs in the central midfield and Valencia and Park out wide. Carrick just sits and keeps everything flowing, while Giggs, Rooney and Park drift all over the place and stop our midfield getting over-run (indeed, normally they are the ones over-running the opposition). Then we've got the constant out-balls to Valencia wide right and Hernandez running in behind the defenders.

It's worked wonders so far, but against Barca? My heart would love to see it again and take it right to them, but my head is telling me they'd run riot over us. So do we bring in Fletcher and/or Anderson instead of Hernandez and/or Giggs?

Rooney, Valencia, Park and Carrick are certainties. It's just those other two spots in our midfield/attack that are up for grabs, and that'll determine the formation and just how we play. I don't think Anderson will play, he's been very good at home for the last few months but anonymous every time we play away from Old Trafford. So that leaves Fletcher, Giggs and Hernandez fighting it out for two spots. With Nani and Berbatov bringing impact from the bench if needed.

We've also got the three-way battle between Fabio, Rafael and O'Shea for the right back spot. I'm leaning towards Fabio as he's in better form than his brother ATM, and I could see O'Shea's ability on the ball (or lack thereof) being a dangerous thing with the quick pressing that Barca employ.

Barca I'd expect the usual:

----------------Valdes----------------
--Alves--Pique--Mascherano---Puyol--
-----------Xavi----Busquets-----------
------Pedro-----Iniesta-------Villa-----
------------------Messi------------------

If they think Abidal is ready to reclaim the leftback spot then Puyol will shift into the centre with Mascherano dropping to the bench.

boxhead

First Grade
I give United little chance, but I will say this; if any team is going to do it at the moment, it will be ManU.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade

But......Copa Del Rey :lol:

That's what 49 goals from a ball hog gets you: The Copa del Rey

And being the 4th richest team in football gets you in a far weaker league.... having robben in your teams keeps your physio's more busy than RVP... and as we are talking about defending how about bayern letting inter destroy them in germany in CL

Onto the CL final, Hernandez will cause tons of trouble for the barca defenders and in turn will free up rooney to slam home a double

Manchester 2 - Divelona 1

Bulldog Force

Referee
I'm actually hoping Pedro and our Hernandez (Xavi) will link up a bit more to slot some goals home. Also if Iniesta's CL form suggests anything, he'll set some up. I think it'll come down to extra time/penalties.

And being the 4th richest team in football gets you in a far weaker league.... having robben in your teams keeps your physio's more busy than RVP... and as we are talking about defending how about bayern letting inter destroy them in germany in CL

Talk about a sore rectum

Weaker league? The bankrupt bats came third and were a whopping 21 points behind second and as for defending well the third best team in the handicapped La Liga were thrashed 3-1 by a German team who barely avoided a relegation playoff :lol:

worried about this, im all worked up now, so I really don't wanna lose in the final. I can see Man U sitting behind halfway all game hitting counter attacks and getting at least a goal.

shiznit

Coach
worried about this, im all worked up now, so I really don't wanna lose in the final. I can see Man U sitting behind halfway all game hitting counter attacks and getting at least a goal.
we may... Sir Alex tends to go with the holding 4-4-2 in European games.

but thats more for 2 legged ties... im not so sure about a one off final.

especially considering in Rome we got dominated in the middle and Barca won the game from there.

im expecting to see us perhaps put numbers into the middle to try and put some pressure on that slick Barca midfield.

i expect to see Fletcher and Park working like monsters in the middle trying to bustle Barca.

but i also dont think we need to park the bus... weve got more than enough firepower to put Barca away.

ill be real interested to see how Barca's defenders deal with Chicharito's pace when he comes on... no one has really been able to handle him the first time they play him. he might surprise Barca.

we just need to sort out how to deal with that awesome Barca midfield.

Latest posts