What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UEFA Champions League 2010/11

boxhead

First Grade
What a great game, absolutely astonishing performance from Barcelona.
Here's my thoughts;

Whilst Messi was brilliant, how Xavi didn't win man of the match is beyond me. Xavi controlled the whole game and almost single-handedly dominated ManU.
ManU were never in the game, a shame but what do you expect?
The gulf between the two teams was apparent, it shows just how amazing this Barcelona team are.
I think Antonio Valencia will be more than a bit nervous heading into the dressing rooms.....
The goals from Messi and Villa were superb, Pedro's and Rooney's were both good as well.

ManU were brilliant in the first eight minutes and really put a leash on Barcelona with superb pressure, however no team, not even ManU, can keep up that sort of pressure for a long period of time.

A great game and the deserved winners are Champions of Europe, Champions of Spain and should very well be called perhaps the best club side of all time.

And I wanted to comment on the great sportsmanship from both teams;
The Barcelona players lining up to clap off ManUnited players and Sir Alex, Sir Alex going straight to Pep and warmly congratulating him, and the United players in general being very sportsmanlike in defeat.
There was little diving and no truly stupid challenges, it was a game of football and not an ugly game that some teams have become renowned for.
I couldn't be happier when they purposefully gave Abidal the captain's armband so he could be the first to lift the trophy, what a great story for the guy and I am so joyful to see him win.

Last edited:

boxhead

First Grade
Oh and hate to say it those ManU fans I was arguing with earlier, but I was right; you guys were absolutely dominated.

weasel

First Grade
United fans should at least be thankful to Barca that they knocked out Real. Would have been much worse if it'd been that turncoat C-ron humiliating them. And it's a case of "been there, done that" as far as getting demolished by Barca so they'd be used to it. Mind you, the ownership was much greater this time, the scoreline ought to have favoured Barcelona more. Man Utd looked like a bottom ten Liga side out there tonight, actually a Liga side would have more tactical nous, United's tactic seemed to be unimaginative route one direct football, which pretty much sums up the EPL I guess, a league where running fast is great technique, and on that note, Rooney is wasted at United. Great work to set up and score their goal aside, his game was mostly just huffing and puffing and no chance to show his technical qualities. I reckon he'd be awesome at Barca, where'd he'd actually be encouraged to use his talents.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, EPL is in a rut post-Ronaldo. Chelsea won the league with Dad's Army last year, when they really should have been in a rebuilding phase, and this United side is the worst I've ever seen be crowned champion. Sure, they made the CL final again, but let's face it, Serie A sucks these days, and UEFA helped them out by putting the two best teams on the same side of the draw, so it wasn't that tough for them.

If Chelsea get a good manager in and make good with some of the signings they've been rumoured to be chasing, and City spend their riches more maturely this summer EPL might make a comeback next season. Otherwise it'll be Barca or Madrid winning the CL again.

Jason Maher

Immortal
United fans should at least be thankful to Barca that they knocked out Real. Would have been much worse if it'd been that turncoat C-ron humiliating them. And it's a case of "been there, done that" as far as getting demolished by Barca so they'd be used to it. Mind you, the ownership was much greater this time, the scoreline ought to have favoured Barcelona more. Man Utd looked like a bottom ten Liga side out there tonight, actually a Liga side would have more tactical nous, United's tactic seemed to be unimaginative route one direct football, which pretty much sums up the EPL I guess, a league where running fast is great technique, and on that note, Rooney is wasted at United. Great work to set up and score their goal aside, his game was mostly just huffing and puffing and no chance to show his technical qualities. I reckon he'd be awesome at Barca, where'd he'd actually be encouraged to use his talents.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, EPL is in a rut post-Ronaldo. Chelsea won the league with Dad's Army last year, when they really should have been in a rebuilding phase, and this United side is the worst I've ever seen be crowned champion. Sure, they made the CL final again, but let's face it, Serie A sucks these days, and UEFA helped them out by putting the two best teams on the same side of the draw, so it wasn't that tough for them.

If Chelsea get a good manager in and make good with some of the signings they've been rumoured to be chasing, and City spend their riches more maturely this summer EPL might make a comeback next season. Otherwise it'll be Barca or Madrid winning the CL again.

:lol:

Nice rant. Might have been worth the bother if you'd posted it before the result gave you the licence to utter any bragging bullshit you wanted.

Anyway, the above dickhead aside, congrats to Barca fans. You have a bloody good team to support currently. Enjoy it for all its worth while it lasts. :)

As for my mob, no shame in losing to the best of the best. Reaching 3 finals in 4 years is an achievement in itself, especially given how shithouse our team allegedly is. And I can't be disappointed after a season where we won a record 19th title, a season in which pretty much nobody (myself included) gave us any chance of winning anything at the start.

Tom Shines

First Grade
United's insistence on giving Barca's midfield carte blanche to stroke the ball around at will thirty yards from their goal was criminal.

No defensive pressure whatsoever.

I honestly thought that if United turned up, they were a chance of knocking them off — but Barca are that f**king good.

Bulldog Force

Referee
That was a top game, loved every minute of it. I thought Xavi was the star of the show for Barcelona. Really lead the team to victory and took control of the ship.

On a more sadder note, seeing Puyol only get 3 mins of game time really showed us all that he's past his prime. An absolute legend for both Spain and Barcelona.

Barca Siempre!!!

HowHigh

Coach
I didn't even bother watching the game, was tired and cbf staying up that late/early in the morning.
I hate Man Utd and all the bandwagon barca fans have really made me dislike Barcelona now too.

But congratulations to Barcelona..

Bulldog Force

Referee
I didn't even bother watching the game, was tired and cbf staying up that late/early in the morning.
I hate Man Utd and all the bandwagon barca fans have really made me dislike Barcelona now too.

But congratulations to Barcelona..
That's what I hate. I joined this forum on the back of a bad end to Barca's 07/08 season, and when this success started in the beginning of the 08/09 season, people just seem to think that we're all bandwagoners. My support of the club doesn't even have anything to do with their media exposure.

Ridders

Coach
Everything about the occasion was a win. The atmosphere at Wembley was amazing. It's so common for highly hyped games to not live up to expectations, but this one easily did, if not exceed them. Have to credit both Barca and United for that.

Really enjoyed seeing Messi drop deeper and run between the lines. Was at times toying with the United defence. Xavi and Iniesta were both great as usual. While he may not get alot of credit, I thought Valdes had some big moments coming of his line.

Patrice Evra was a nightmare defensively. Impressed with Rooney though. Acquitted himself well and worked well all night. Was there a reason why Nani didn't start over Valencia? Fergie perhaps should have subbed of Giggs as he became just a spectator as the match progressed.

couldnt give a shit if people think im a bandwagoner. worst term in sports. even if i was a "bandwagoner", i dont see how its bad becoming a new fan of the sport.

watched the game again, Man U looked really good at the start and then just said f**k it and played the good ol long ball. Thank god Barca won, great for football. 3 years without a champions league winner really proves that the perception that EPL is the best league is a complete myth.

Red Bear

Referee
I dont think anyone thinks the EPL is still the best league. The competitiveness of Spain is questionable but Barca and Real are clearly the best two clubs in the world.

The period between about 05-09 was when the EPL was probably the best, English sides in the Final each year, including one with two, with a couple of winners. Comp has been in a lull since Ronaldo's depature which culminated in this season where the winning points total was only 80, by a shit Man Utd side which still won relatively comfortably. The crap teams have gotten a little bit better but the quality sides have certainly dropped.

Reports have emerged that Barca fans sneaked into Old Trafford last night and unfurled a '19 times' banner, in reference to the amount of time Man United touched the ball in the Champions League final.

Jason Maher

Immortal
:lol:

I'll pay that one.

You know, I'd stomach Barca a lot better if I didn't have to listen to Craig Foster go on about them.

Doga

Juniors
And of the day United gave Barca way too much space to dictate terms and got spanked for it.

Congrats Barca. Highly deserving champions

Doga

Juniors
Everything about the occasion was a win. The atmosphere at Wembley was amazing. It's so common for highly hyped games to not live up to expectations, but this one easily did, if not exceed them. Have to credit both Barca and United for that.

Really enjoyed seeing Messi drop deeper and run between the lines. Was at times toying with the United defence. Xavi and Iniesta were both great as usual. While he may not get alot of credit, I thought Valdes had some big moments coming of his line.

Patrice Evra was a nightmare defensively. Impressed with Rooney though. Acquitted himself well and worked well all night. Was there a reason why Nani didn't start over Valencia? Fergie perhaps should have subbed of Giggs as he became just a spectator as the match progressed.

I think Fergie was thinking the Romance of the occasion was going to be enough.

Pisses me off...a f**king Cup Final is no time to allow an opponent time and space. Granted Barca are the masters of creating their own time and space however United did nothing to close them off.

That was a top game, loved every minute of it. I thought Xavi was the star of the show for Barcelona. Really lead the team to victory and took control of the ship.

On a more sadder note, seeing Puyol only get 3 mins of game time really showed us all that he's past his prime. An absolute legend for both Spain and Barcelona.

Barca Siempre!!!

He's just come back from injury and Pep didn't think he had 90s minutes in him. It was too much of a risk in a Champions League Final. If not for that he would have started.