What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UEFA Champions League 2010/11

I dont think anyone thinks the EPL is still the best league. The competitiveness of Spain is questionable but Barca and Real are clearly the best two clubs in the world.

The period between about 05-09 was when the EPL was probably the best, English sides in the Final each year, including one with two, with a couple of winners. Comp has been in a lull since Ronaldo's depature which culminated in this season where the winning points total was only 80, by a shit Man Utd side which still won relatively comfortably. The crap teams have gotten a little bit better but the quality sides have certainly dropped.

two teams don't make the league though.. epl is strong across the board and this year the margin between the top clubs and bottom clubs has gotten shorter.

hellteam

First Grade
That's what I hate. I joined this forum on the back of a bad end to Barca's 07/08 season, and when this success started in the beginning of the 08/09 season, people just seem to think that we're all bandwagoners. My support of the club doesn't even have anything to do with their media exposure.

Pfft, I don't care that you follow barca but that's a pretty lame statement right there.

hellteam

First Grade
two teams don't make the league though.. epl is strong across the board and this year the margin between the top clubs and bottom clubs has gotten shorter.

Agreed, I don't like the EPL cause of the top teams, I like the competition. Barca and real are the best two in the world yes. But in terms of a closer comp, better overall teams its EPL all the way

Tommy Smith

Referee
Man Utd clearly lack a couple of ball-winning midfield destroyers in order to compete with Barca. An Essien-type of player is desperately needed for them...

Going into the game with Carrick and Giggs in central midfield was always going to be a recipe for disaster.

Agreed, I don't like the EPL cause of the top teams, I like the competition. Barca and real are the best two in the world yes. But in terms of a closer comp, better overall teams its EPL all the way

Man U/Chel$ki champions since 2004/05. Man U/Chel$ki/Arsenal in the top 4 since 2002/03. The only competition comes from the middle to bottom teams fighting for survival with 10 points separating 8th and 19th which was similar to La Liga where 6 points separated 8th and 18th. West Ham won only one more game than Hercules and Deportivo were relegated with a points haul that would see them well safe in England. Better competition? No.

Im hoping sniejder corrects that, if we get him

:? Ever watch Sneijder play?

Bulldog Force

Referee
I dont think anyone thinks the EPL is still the best league. The competitiveness of Spain is questionable but Barca and Real are clearly the best two clubs in the world.

The period between about 05-09 was when the EPL was probably the best, English sides in the Final each year, including one with two, with a couple of winners. Comp has been in a lull since Ronaldo's depature which culminated in this season where the winning points total was only 80, by a shit Man Utd side which still won relatively comfortably. The crap teams have gotten a little bit better but the quality sides have certainly dropped.
There are a few teams I'd rate over Real...

aqua_duck

Coach
Man Utd clearly lack a couple of ball-winning midfield destroyers in order to compete with Barca. An Essien-type of player is desperately needed for them...

Going into the game with Carrick and Giggs in central midfield was always going to be a recipe for disaster.

If only Owen Hargreaves wasn't made of plastic.....
Personally I think they should go after someone like Yann M'Vila

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
not saying they are better but

Arsenal,Chelsea,Ac Milan, Inter And Bayern would give them a run for there money and possibly even liverpool and after the transfer window prob MAn city after they spend 300million

Last edited:

boxhead

First Grade
Oh yeah, like who?

Hey, are you actually suggesting they are the 2nd best team in the world? Surely you can't be, you hate them remember :)

I'd rate Real's squad over eveyone except Barcelona, not necessarily as a playing team but their squad, especially the depth, sh*ts all over any other club bar Barca.

boxhead

First Grade

Arsenal,Chelsea,Ac Milan, Inter And Bayern would give them a run for there money and possibly even liverpool and after the transfer window prob MAn city after they spend 300million

Well I guess it goes with comparative philosphy, Tottenham had the advanatage over Arsenal this season and Real thrashed Tottenham and weren't even playing that well. The other teams I understand except for ManCity, but with the latter we have to see how much they spend I guess.

WireMan

Bench
Oh well.

We don't need a ball winner, we need a ball holder. Someone who wanted the ball so we didn't have to keep hitting up to Rooney. When Scholes came on we looked more like a team. Carrick had a good game but the ball came back so often it was hard for him, especially as Giggs had a shocker.

That and a Striker who can hold the ball up.

£50 million, two players, and we will see them in the final again next year (and win number 20).

None of those teams are better
Hey, are you actually suggesting they are the 2nd best team in the world? Surely you can't be, you hate them remember :)

I'd rate Real's squad over eveyone except Barcelona, not necessarily as a playing team but their squad, especially the depth, sh*ts all over any other club bar Barca.

WTF? Real are scum and you're an idiot but they're easily the second best team in the world.

Latest posts