What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UEFA Champions League 2011/12

Eddie.

Bench
It was a great performance, you have to respect a comeback like that.

I still maintain that a core group of senior Chelsea players are a cancer and that undermining a coach(s) is a low act.

Without the so called "cancer" there is no team. Did you watch the games when Lampard, Terry and Drogba were out of action?? That is when I saw performances with very little Chelsea spirit. Chelsea have conceded 1 goal in JT last 6 starts. Lampard is our top scorer despite with 13 despite being told by AVB he was surplus to requirements and spending over half the season on the bench. And Drogba remains the club's best big game player, who can produce huge performances the bigger the occasion like Valencia and tonight. They along with Ivanovich, Ashely Cole (Who were both outstanding tonight) and Essien are the heart and soul of Chelsea. These are the guys who have matched it with Barcelona on every hd to hd occasion, been to 5 CL semi finals toppled United 3 times to win PL's and won 3 FA Cups. They deserve a huge amount of respect, a lot more then what they are given

Mate seriously the problem with Chelsea is the players bought to replace these guys. The tear underneath these guys are simply ordinary footballers. Malouda, Kalou, Boswingwa, Ferreria, Mikel, Merieles. They guys are bloody ordinary. Then you have expensive disasters like Sheva and Torres. They guys are the cancer that means Chelsea can't find the happy balance between a great group of younger players and a mix of the senior pros.

Botom line is AVB went the wrong way about things. He told some of the core of Chelsea that he didn't rate them and they would be off in the summer. He didn't attempt to galvanise them and he didn't believe in them. I think AVB will still be a good manager, however he has a lot to learn re man management. Nights like tonight were simply not possible the way he was running the football club. Nights like tonight proved that Abramovich made the right call, and should have made it weeks earlier.

Anyway we went back to the well tonight with or most experienced side with a coach that believed in them. Just like Guss Hiddink did when he came in three years ago. Thats what i call smart man management. I know they guys are not going to be here forever and the clubs does need a summer clearout, however there is way of doing these things.

Last edited:
Damn straight!!

There's no reason why we couldn't finish third on that form

Firstly, congrats on the win. I don't really care about the whole PL vs BL vs Serie A vs La Liga shit but it is good to see one PL team represented in the quarters.

Secondly,

:lol:

Third in what? Your Europa league group next season?

You're not gonna make top four let alone crack third. You had enough trouble breaking down Birmingham and a ten man Stoke side, i really can't see you getting enough points against City, Liverpool, Spurs, Newcastle and Arsenal to get into one of the CL spots.

You're not gonna come up against naive Italian teams every week. Surely they would have watched the Stoke game in preparation for their game with you. Seeing how you took 60-70 min to breach a midtable side with a player down i'm surprised they didn't just park the bus.

Big Sam

First Grade
Has there been a more crucial draw in recent memory than tomorrow night's? Unlike the previous few seasons there's not one clear favourite to be champion.

Barca still have defensive frailties and Madrid tend to choke in the big games, whilst Milan and Bayern with a kind passageway could make the final. And who'd then bet against Bayern at home in the final?

Really exciting stuff.

WireMan

Bench
Napoli's defending is simply dreadful. So much for Italian teams built off a strong defense!

Chelsea have played well.

But what did the SBS people say? Anything about Napoli not been that good? It is possible to stop a two man team?

Neville 1 - Aus sports coverage 0. :p

Firstly, congrats on the win. I don't really care about the whole PL vs BL vs Serie A vs La Liga shit but it is good to see one PL team represented in the quarters.

Secondly,

You're not gonna make top four let alone crack third. You had enough trouble breaking down Birmingham and a ten man Stoke side, i really can't see you getting enough points against City, Liverpool, Spurs, Newcastle and Arsenal to get into one of the CL spots.

You're not gonna come up against naive Italian teams every week. Surely they would have watched the Stoke game in preparation for their game with you. Seeing how you took 60-70 min to breach a midtable side with a player down i'm surprised they didn't just park the bus.

Yes but your forgetting the North London factor.

Basically every year the teams of North London get over hyped to do something. Then normally in March and April the pressure gets to them and they crack up.

This year Spurs have started early due to Harry being distracted and Arsenal have gone under the radar as they have been rubbish this year. Now all of a sudden Arsenal are fighting for third and the pressure will start again. Cue team cracking up and Wenger throwing water bottles around again.

;-)

Jimbo

Immortal

Secondly,

We'll see

langpark

First Grade
1-0 at the break and I finally got some luck with my betting, Llorente for first goalscorer :cool:

I just hope Bilbao keep playing their natural game in the second half and don't go all defensive. 1-2 is enough to get Manchester through...

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Neville said Napoli only had two players who would make it in the EPL.

If you believe that, you're a f**kwit too.

langpark

First Grade
Man utd are gone, now Man City are down 0-2 at halftime!!!!!

This day cannot get any better! :D

Jason Maher

Immortal
Good, now we can concentrate on extending City's 44 year title drought. Just quietly, I think Sir Alex may have been bullshitting about taking the Europa League seriously. He wants to stop City winning the league. That's the sort of thing which has always motivated him.

langpark

First Grade
wow, Man City are up 3-2 in the 83rd minute. Game on! They still need one more goal of course....

boxhead

First Grade
I think I can safely say Spanish football is definitely dominating English football.
But....but.....the EPL is the best league in the world......because it's so close.
Yeah, for having fewer or the same amount of unique teams winning the league than in La Liga over the past decade or so, and the points tally of the lower teams being higher in La Liga than the EPL.
But....but.....ManU is the best team in the world!
:lol: Even though Barcelona destroy them every time they meet, they couldn't get past the seventh-placed Spanish team in a competition Mr. "he is correct" Neville and other morons said they would dominate, or a team annihilated by Bayern Munich.
But....but.....the EPL has more world class teams!
If ManUnited can even be considered in Real Madrid, Barcelona and etceteras class, ManCity, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool certainly can't.

I still love the EPL, but I'm getting sick of EPL fans and the English/North American/Australiab media harping on about a league that has clearly become second fiddle to La Liga in terms of quality.

United and Chelsea being the only title-winners since Arsenal, with Ciry now looking like they will choke is a big indication that the "top two" teams theory in La Liga is also applicable to the EPL.
About the only things the EPL has going for it are its popularity and faster nature.

Last edited: