What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UEFA Champions League 2011/12

since late 93. when i first got into football, i watched world soccer and Barcelona were playing, and since they had just hosted the olympic games, I knew of the city, so I supported them.

Jason Maher

Immortal
The Barca win over Chel$ki was a rort, pure and simple. It may have been a get square for the first leg, which I never saw, but the second leg was an absolute rort. And one I enjoyed tremendously at the time, knowing a few Chel$ki supporters.

langpark

First Grade
since late 93. when i first got into football, i watched world soccer and Barcelona were playing, and since they had just hosted the olympic games, I knew of the city, so I supported them.

Nice. Just making sure you weren't one of the bandwagoners that have sprouted up like mushrooms over the last few years... Far too many of those around for my liking....

I'm alright with it. Its better they are getting into a spanish team rather than an English side. As long as they stick with it.

Big Sam

First Grade
Nice. Just making sure you weren't one of the bandwagoners that have sprouted up like mushrooms over the last few years... Far too many of those around for my liking....

I only have a problem with these types of people if they jump of the bandwagon once the team loses its lustre/appeal as has happened with the Socceroos. But if they start supporting Barca now due to their success and stick with them forever, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Eddie.

Bench
not to mention Abi's farcial red card. It all evened out in the end. But I love the usual Brittish bias where everything that went there way is overlooked.

I never like to win when we shouldn't have, like if we beat Inter in the CL semi 2 years ago after Mottas unfair red card, I would have felt bad. If a team I support gets a penalty from a dive and we score, I don't cheer. However I didn't feel bad at all when Iniesta scored that winner. It all evened out and we were the better team and I woke up the entire house with my cheering from that goal.

Look Barca are a better side then Chelsea. They deserved to win that year and they proved that in the final. They have proved the last few years they are a far better side and they deserve all the success they have had. However that night they were clearly second best. They had 1 shot on target all night and that was the goal .Playing pretty little triangles all night 20-25 yards and having 65% of the ball does not you are the better team. Technically and skill wise yet, but no way on the night were Barca the better side that night. Messi was totally ineffectual.

Chelsea bombed glorious chances and had 3-4 obvious penalties turned down. They should have been ahead 3-0 when Iniesta scored. That's football, but you canno't claim you are always the better side because you are more skillful and other sides conceed all the ball to you. Chelsea got their tactics spot on that night and limited Barca to one shot on target, whilst Chelsea had 5 or 6 clear chances.

Anyway, it is done and dusted well and truly now. Barca have got better and Chelsea have got worse since that night. However I know Chelsea will be highly motivated for this. They may be given no chance by everyone, however stranger things have happened and I expect them to give Barca a tough night at Stamford Bridge again.

Look Barca are a better side then Chelsea. They deserved to win that year and they proved that in the final. They have proved the last few years they are a far better side and they deserve all the success they have had. However that night they were clearly second best. They had 1 shot on target all night and that was the goal .Playing pretty little triangles all night 20-25 yards and having 65% of the ball does not you are the better team. Technically and skill wise yet, but no way on the night were Barca the better side that night. Messi was totally ineffectual.

Chelsea bombed glorious chances and had 3-4 obvious penalties turned down. They should have been ahead 3-0 when Iniesta scored. That's football, but you canno't claim you are always the better side because you are more skillful and other sides conceed all the ball to you. Chelsea got their tactics spot on that night and limited Barca to one shot on target, whilst Chelsea had 5 or 6 clear chances.

Anyway, it is done and dusted well and truly now. Barca have got better and Chelsea have got worse since that night. However I know Chelsea will be highly motivated for this. They may be given no chance by everyone, however stranger things have happened and I expect them to give Barca a tough night at Stamford Bridge again.

There was 2 legs, which is what I was referring to. We were better over the tie, although not by much. I will say, that was a great Chelsea side, despite having little respect for it. Obviously they played better than us at the Stamford Bridge leg, at Camp Nou though, Chelsea were disgraceful with their tactics. At least Man U tried to play some football against us in the final.

Anyways, thats old news, hopefully the upcoming tie is a great one and Chelsea decide to take us on.

Eddie.

Bench
There was 2 legs, which is what I was referring to. We were better over the tie, although not by much. I will say, that was a great Chelsea side, despite having little respect for it. Obviously they played better than us at the Stamford Bridge leg, at Camp Nou though, Chelsea were disgraceful with their tactics. At least Man U tried to play some football against us in the final.

Anyways, thats old news, hopefully the upcoming tie is a great one and Chelsea decide to take us on.

That attitude is a bit high and mighty. Sure Barca play more attractive footy, simply they have much better players better equipped to play that way. However there are different ways to win games. As a loose example It's like Wests Tigers are a very attractive league side and Saints are extremely methodical and boring. Doesn't mean Saints are less deserving or have a worse way of winning games.

Man U played football against you in 2 finals and got spanked in both. SO I would argue that their tactics were disgraceful to their supporters more then Chelsea's. Chelsea tactics in the Nou Camp were not disgraceful, they were defensive, however they were spot on. They marked Messi out of the game and were exceptionally organised and very powerful.

Why should Chelsea come at Barcelona and play a open game to their strengths? Chelsea will get hammered if they play an open game against Barca. They don't have the speed, the skill the technique or the team work to come at Barca with free flowing attacking football. However they can be very well organised, powerful on the ground and in the air and swift in the counter attack and strong at set pieces. Thats what they were at Stamford Bridge in 2009 and they created 5-6 great chances to 1. They dominated the game in a different way.

Not sure why you don't respect that Chelsea side. Sure they have a few C.... in their side but which side hasn't over the years. They are now in their 6th Semi final in the last 9 years and with an ounce of luck they would have played in 2-3 more finals.

Whilst Barca have so many brilliant individual players and brilliant team work teams simply have to find ways to win a football game with inferior players and team work. Those ways are not always going to be pretty. Sadly for Chelsea, their side in 2012 is not half as powerful and strong as it was in 2009. They could get thumped if they play generally anything like they have in the last 6 months. The only chance I see for us is that the hurt and the drive of being so close so many times drives them to an unbelievable performance and result. Because I think quite clearly, and unusually we are the worst team left in this years draw by a distance.

Last edited:

Big Sam

First Grade
its easier to hate a team that plays in the Nazi Insurance Company Stadium

Roosters or Bayern?:D

But seriously, that's another ill-informed comment from you Magpie. If you'd read anything about German football you'd know that Bayern was one of the very few clubs who tried to protect and shelter their Jewish employees when the Nazis went round to all the major football clubs of the 30s. Others gave theirs up immediately to appease the Nazis.

Last edited:
Almost as easy to hate Man U for making money from a manufacturer that survives off slavery.

Round and round we go, when the Butt Hurt 4 stop being sore nobody knows

Chelsea, play football, earn my respect. Tho, they don't care what I or the fans think. So go and defend Chelsea and ruin football.

Latest posts