What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UEFA Champions League 2011/12

Danish

Referee
Also, LOL @ the "my bandwagon side is better than your bandwagon side" arguments going on re: Man U and Barca

I don't see how Chelsea have done anything except boost their chances of going through by employing the tactics they did.

They did not concede any away goals, and now go into the away fixture knowing that if they can take a few calculated risks and snag an away goal of their own they are in the box seat to progress.

If they get through (which i they probably wont) then clearly the tactic will have proven a success. We'll all just have to live with they devastation to footbal that apparently will happen if Barca lose a game :lol:

Trevor Chappell increased Australia's chances to win an ODI to bowl underarm.

Chelsea are a shit advertisement for football.

Tommy Smith

Referee
The thing is, if chelsea go out and, try out attack barcelona they will get mauled, there playing the spanish national team + plus currently the best player in the world.

So for chelsea the way they played represents the only chance for advancement into the final so no matter how boring it is too watch it was effective. This does not represent how chelsea play on a week to week basis.

In end play too win not too please

And the bash on how attacking the PL is, the 07 - 08 Man utd team would rape this current barcelona team

Plus the amount of high scoring games this season proves its an attack league its just spanish football is at a huge peak right now, bur after madrid and barcelona rape athletic bilbao and valencia of rhere great dpanish players that will go down again
Funniest thing ive read in a long while. Thanks for the laugh.

People seem to be forgetting that whilst Chelsea won 1 nil, on any other day they should have lost about 4 nil. Barcelona wont miss those kind of chances again.

They were a crossbar away from taking a 1 nil lead inside 10 minutes and ending the tie then and there.

Fair enough Chelsea had to play like something along those lines, but seriously, one shot at goal in 90 minutes at Stamford Bridge? The fans at either end of the field only got to see 45 minutes of football unless they had binoculars.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
You say its funny but man utd knocked barca out in 08 on the way to there win that year...they havent been half the team since and still made 2 finals so credit too them

Last edited:
if Barca are the greatest team of all time as the barca fan boys claim they are, they should of been able to breakdown the chelsea defence with easy but alas when the going gets tough barca go to water

Big Sam

First Grade
if Barca are the greatest team of all time as the barca fan boys claim they are, they should of been able to breakdown the chelsea defence with easy but alas when the going gets tough barca go to water

I'm gonna enjoy quoting shit like this after Barca have won 5-0 on Tuesday.

I'm also not surprised you can recognise when teams 'go to water' given your mob's efforts v Basel/Bilbao etc.

WireMan

Bench
As an Englishman i have mixed emotions. On the one hand, it wasn't really an "English" side. Italian manager, with only by my count only four English players starting.

But, it still sums up the culture of English football...if you can even call it football. It basically goes along the lines of, "we're not as good as these technical footballers so we'll just park 8 blokes behind the ball."

But the sad thing is, we can be just as good. Paul Gascoigne, Paul Scholes, Chris Waddle - these guys shouldn't be such anomalies over the past 25 years. Im quite certain that there is no genetic advantage to being of continental European heritage or South American when it comes to possessing coolness on the ball as well as dribbling and playmaking skills.

And these are the qualities that 9/10 win big football tournaments. England haven't only just won the one major tournament - WC '66 - but we've never even made another final. Clearly, we have deep rooted issues.

And whilst ever we celebrate one of our top sides in Chelsea delivering a performance which saw one, i repeat one...yes...one! shot at goal at Stamford Bridge; well then things will never change.

They will go to the Camp Nou next week and, god willing, get raped 5 nil. And yet many Engish people will still talk about the courage of the Chelsea players. Rather than how we can ensure our own supremely talnted youngsters can become the next Andres Iniesta or Paul Gascoigne, rather than the next Theo Walcott or Nicky Butt.

I guess my point is, Chelsea played that way because it's the only way they could win. Just as England do vs the quality sides at the WC (Argentina & Brazil in 2002, Portugal at Euro 2004/WC 2006). But, when all is said and done, when do they ever win. Answer, NEVER. So clearly this brand of football wins you nothing. But we'll never learn that because long-ball shite is ingrained from day one it seems.

What a load of dribble.

Chelsea played that way because they knew exactly how Barca would play.

Thats called good managemnet and good football. You scout the other team, you work out a game plan, you stick to it, you win.

Peps plan A didn't work.
Where was plan B? The over the top ball, spreading the ball out? Bringing Iniesta inside, moving Sanchez to the left? Anything?

He failed to do anything.

For a soccer forum many people fail to grasp what soccer is actually all about and what happens on the pitch.

Big Sam

First Grade
Peps plan A didn't work.
Where was plan B? The over the top ball, spreading the ball out? Bringing Iniesta inside, moving Sanchez to the left? Anything?

He failed to do anything.

For a soccer forum many people fail to grasp what soccer is actually all about and what happens on the pitch.

Chelsea were just inches away from losing 3-1.

Pep didn't need a Plan B as he has another 90 minutes for Plan A to work. Which it will, because Chelsea will crack.

It's Di Matteo who needs a Plan B for Tuesday night because everyone in recent years who has tried to park the bus at the Camp Nou has been thrashed.

WireMan

Bench
Chelsea were just inches away from losing 3-1.

Pep didn't need a Plan B as he has another 90 minutes for Plan A to work. Which it will, because Chelsea will crack.

It's Di Matteo who needs a Plan B for Tuesday night because everyone in recent years who has tried to park the bus at the Camp Nou has been thrashed.

:lol:

Inches from losing. You know what that means in the real world?

The won.

Pep didn't need a plan B in a game they lost? Most managers at least try something when they are going to lose.

Ask Inter about parking the bus...

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
It like craig foster own some of the accounts on here, inter parked the bus and won, and so can chelsea but on wed morning i expect them to play more of a counter attacking game and pull a 2 all draw to proceed 3 - 2

Last edited:

Big Sam

First Grade
Ask Inter about parking the bus...

Knew you'd bring this up.

Inter lost that 2nd leg. Remember? They also went into the game with a bigger lead than Chelsea have. Same result on Tuesday and the Pensioners are gone.

WireMan

Bench
Knew you'd bring this up.

Inter lost that 2nd leg. Remember? They also went into the game with a bigger lead than Chelsea have. Same result on Tuesday and the Pensioners are gone.

Let me guess though.

Barca were 'inches' from going through and Pep didn't need a plan B because there is always next year...

Big Sam

First Grade
Let me guess though.

Barca were 'inches' from going through and Pep didn't need a plan B because there is always next year...

Inter played positive football in the 1st leg because they were at home and fittingly and convincingly won 2-0. They were entitled to park the bus at Barca because their positivity at the San Siro had given them a big win in the tie.

WireMan

Bench
Inter played positive football in the 1st leg because they were at home and fittingly and convincingly won 2-0. They were entitled to park the bus at Barca because their positivity at the San Siro had given them a big win in the tie.

Entitled. :lol:

Do you need permission slips now to play a certain way.

"I'm sorry Chelsea, it turns out you didn't complete enough passes in the first leg so your going to have to play 3 up top for the return leg".

Big Sam

First Grade
Entitled/earned the right - whatever. I have no problem with a side going away to a hostile environment and trying to defend a 2 goal lead with negative tactics. I do have a problem with a side playing such timid football AT HOME where they have the full support of the crowd.

Also answer me this: if Chelsea are so much better than Barca as you and Magpie claim, why didn't they win by more than 1?