What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

usarl - amnrl split

BDGS

Bench
Guys, some people have got the wrong idea.
USARL players will be selected for the tomahawks, as long as a they register with the AMNRL. They do not have to play in the AMNRL, they don't have to play at all (i.e. hawaii based players) but they must sign an AMNRL registration form as the AMNRL is the RLIF sanctioned body.
Niu has not made this as clear as he could. He has been immature and smug. He has tried to completely ignore the fact there is more than one league in the USA. Who knows, there might be a group of dudes playing each weekend down their local park, in their own comp, who have not made it public. They have not called it a pro league. They are just playing for fun, like the AMNRL. Niu must not take it so personally. (Although, it is a lot easier for us all to say so, we're not the creators though).
So USARL players can play in the USARL, sign a rego form for the AMNRL (not register for a AMNRL team) and can then play for the AMNRL USA tomahawks.
Who knows, maybe foreign players such as mcgoldrick and newton would have to do the same thing. Makes sense.
Hope everyone understands a bit clearer now :)

I hope you are correct.

Fighter

Juniors
David Niu

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
USA Tomahawks 2011 Outlook and Player Eligibility
Donnybrook Cup, Colonial Cup and Rugby League World Cup qualifier
And Eligibility
Philadelphia, PA (February 28, 2011) – The American National Rugby League is excited to
present the Donnybrook Cup International Rugby League match between the USA Tomahawks
and Ireland Wolfhounds. Taking place on Saturday, March 19 at 4pm, the match will be played
at Charles Martin Stadium, located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. A big crowd is expected to
support both teams as a part of the 2011 St. Patrick’s Day celebrations.
This match will be the seventh battle between the two nations on U.S. soil, with the USA at four
wins, Ireland with two.
The USA Tomahawks roster is scheduled to be announced on Wednesday, March 9th. In what is
expected to be an exciting year for the Tomahawks, they are also playing two home-away
internationals against the Canadian Wolverines in August. October will feature the Rugby
League World Cup Qualifiers, as the USA will be attempting to qualify for the 2013 World Cup.
The Tomahawks will be looking to earn their first birth in the World Cup tournament.
All USA Tomahawk players will be chosen who satisfy the following:
For purposes of this rule a “National Team Event” shall mean any officially sanctioned AMNRL
National Team (i.e. USA Tomahawk) game, practice, training camp, press conference or other
event involving the U.S. National Team. In addition to abiding by all AMNRL rules and
policies with respect to player insurance, waiver forms, nationality requirements etc., all players
must meet the following criteria in order to be eligible to participate in any National Team event:
1. Be registered to play with a club that has been approved by the AMNRL to compete in the
2011 AMNRL season or;
2. If the player is not a member of an approved club, upon separate application to the league
and after the league’s approval, be registered as an AMNRL “At Large Player”.
Under no circumstances will any AMNRL player who is registered with a club in the AMNRL
for the 2011 season or an approved At-Large player be permitted to practice with, play with or in
any way be connected with or hold themselves out to be connected with any other league or
competition that plays the game of rugby league in the United States which has not been
officially sanctioned by the AMNRL. Any breach of this rule will revoke a player’s eligibility to
participate in any National Team Event.
All determinations surrounding player eligibility under this rule shall be made by the AMNRL.
About the American National Rugby League
The American National Rugby League (AMNRL) is the governing body for the development of
the sport of Rugby League in the Untied States, as sanctioned by the Rugby League International
Federation (RLIF). In existence since 1998, the AMNRL is the major Rugby League
competition in the United States.

Under no circumstances will any AMNRL player who is registered with a club in the AMNRL for the 2011 season or an approved At-Large player be permitted to practice with, play with or in any way be connected with or hold themselves out to be connected with any other league or
competition that plays the game of rugby league in the United States which has not been officially sanctioned by the AMNRL. Any breach of this rule will revoke a player’s eligibility to participate in any National Team Event.

So USARL players will NOT be allowed to play for the Tomahawks.

Niu better come up with some pretty handy "at-large" players (ie ring-ins) otherwise the USA has little chance of making the WC.

This really is very dodgy.

Basically if you play for a USARL team (or even "associate" with one) you cannot play for the national team. But if you play union, NRL or in the Mongolian Over 30s Polocrosse team you can as long as they register you as an "at-large" player.

I think it's time the RLIF stepped in now.

jim_57

Staff member
The view from the outside seems to fully justify the split, It really looks like Niu is letting the game in America suffer because he couldn't get his way, the RLIF needs to step in ASAP.

league13

Juniors
Just as well the split has taken place when it did. The USARL have an elected board that will ensure that everyone gets their say in the development of league in the USA.You cannot run an organization the way that David Nui did.This game is bigger than a one man show and David should realize this.

PaulyTom

Juniors
This is a real pity. Something needs to be done to straighten the CEO's of both comps to work together.

RhinoCats

Juniors
Cutting your nose of to spite your face. Niu has spat the dummy and taken his ball home, and the people who suffer once again are the players and the fans. The USARL really appear to be the good guys in this split and what was first a cloudy reason for seperation is starting to become crystal clear.

mother rucker

Juniors
It's about time someone other than an bitter Australian and childish Englishmen tell American rugby league players that they can't play for their country. There is no rational reason for Niu to do this other than grasping at what little rugby league he has left. At this point they have done as much to damage it as they did to create it. Go the USARL

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
As I see it it can only be AMNRL or USARL and not both. If it were both, who would be the selector? The RLIF need to switch their alliances to the more democratic league pronto.

RedVee

First Grade
Thats a real pity. It cant augur well for Tomahawks competiveness. Boo AMNRL!

clarency

Juniors
I've left a couple of comments on his page regarding the issue and have just asked him outright his position on USARL inclusion in the Tomahawks. I think his lack of response is the clash between his own conscience and his own selfishness.

The saga continues.

YANTO

Juniors
It's about time someone other than an bitter Australian and childish Englishmen tell American rugby league players that they can't play for their country. There is no rational reason for Niu to do this other than grasping at what little rugby league he has left. At this point they have done as much to damage it as they did to create it. Go the USARL

Niu is seeming to be the bad guy in all of this but as much as I disagree with the selection process take a step back and look at the bigger picture without going into why the split happened.

Say you had spent a lot of time money and effort setting up a business over ten years and took on some employees.After a few years working for you,these guys then went off and set up their own company in direct competition to you.Then they return and take 75% of your employees to help their new company get of the ground.(USARL has yet to play)

After doing all off this they come back and ask you if their company (which has basically destroyed your company) can still work along side you and use your global brand (that you have created) on the international front.

I'm sure this would really P*** you off...

In time I am sure this will work it self out and the strongest competition will be recognized/survive but at the moment I am certain Niu is hurting like hell after seeing all his hard work being snatched from him.

The game is after all a business and if someone takes your business away from you (no matter what the reason's) it is bound to make you feel betrayed.

The problem with the business anaology is that we are talking about an international representatibve sports team. It belongs to the people and the game not to any individualor company. The AMNRL is one thing but the Tomahawks (regardless of who created that "brand") is a bit different.

MR KNIGHT

Juniors
I have said this before, when the dust settles and when more details come out, it will be David Niu who will be seen as the least bad guy in all this. And I think the people who matter and make decisions see this.

I don't know where people are getting the idea that the AMNRL will be a weak competition. It will actually be the stronger competition.

I know for a fact that the New York Knights are planning a big year for their 10 year anniversary. Stay tuned, will let you know when more information comes to hand.

Latest posts