What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Voice your opinion - yes price no sheens

Old_Timer

Juniors
Only if the Club is leaning to reappointing Price, which I hope they are not btw. :sarcasm:

Otherwise if we are to have a new coach next season, then I see no impediment to making that announcement now.

To the naysayers suggesting that Price will simply throw in the towel, if the above comes to pass, consider this. Price sees himself as a career coach. His resume at first grade coaching should at least have one reasonable year and guess what, it was not 2012? :D

Elias1983

Coach
Only if the Club is leaning to reappointing Price, which I hope they are not btw. :sarcasm:

Otherwise if we are to have a new coach next season, then I see no impediment to making that announcement now.

To the naysayers suggesting that Price will simply throw in the towel, if the above comes to pass, consider this. Price sees himself as a career coach. His resume at first grade coaching should at least have one reasonable year and guess what, it was not 2012? :D

That's my point OT, they need to wait because at the moment Price is showing some signs of promise and must be allowed to build on that.

How is it good management that they piss him off going on last year? as has been explained hasler, bennett, sheens etc all struggled in their first years as coach...

There is no-one out there at the moment that IMO should take over, I don't rate sheen and there is no point replaceing a rookie with another.

The Dragons have the luxury of waiting to see how Price goes, toward the end of the year if there are more potential coaches that pop up then you can look into those options (unless ofcpurse Price does well -which I hope he does).

Elias1983

Coach
He is? Hmmmmm I am yet to be convinced. But I really would like to be!! :D

Really?? I thought you loved price!:lol:

Mate i'm not 100% sold yet either, 50/50 to be honest but if you are going to make a decision it needs to be done properly, or what I think at least is considered "properly".

Mr Red

First Grade
Hasler finished 13th in his first season of coaching. Neil Henry finished 14th his first season. Ivan Cleary 10th. Shane Flanagan 13th.

Point is 12 months is not long enough to make a call unless you are making a significant upgrade (eg signing Bellamy)

out of interest, i think to make your point more meaningful you should also list the position the club finished in the season prior to the new coach taking over.

for example... Dragons 5th 2011 (Bennett), 9th 2012 (Price). so a net result of -4 for Price..
if you have the time you should do the same for the examples you have mentioned otherwise there is no yardstick for your point to be measured with.

Last edited:

Elias1983

Coach
out of interest, i think to make your point more meaningful you should also list the position the club finished in the season prior to the new coach taking over.

for example... Dragons 5th 2011 (Bennett), 9th 2012 (Price). so a net result of -4 for Price..
if you have the time you should do the same for the examples you have mentioned otherwise there is no yardstick for your point to be measured with.

How is that relevant?

You are comparing price to the greatest coach ever..

It's not just numbers mate, look at the circumstances. When bennett took over, the playing group were willing to commit bloody murder to win and break that drought.

Yes Price was under bennett for 3 years but it's no guarantee of success, ask Henjak.

At least with Price the players want to play for him as Merrin said, and he can be tough when he needs to be i.e look at soward last year when he dropped him.

He inherited an ageing roster when he took over, young was on one leg, hornby was getting to retirement....

Godz Illa

Coach

Nope. Because where do the parameters stop? Do we account for the fact Price inherited an aging, decimated squad?
Coaches are answerable for results alone. Price's results in his first year were no worse than the first year of many current top line coaches. The fact stands

TheRev

Coach
At least with Price the players want to play for him as Merrin said, and he can be tough when he needs to be i.e look at soward last year when he dropped him..

Have you ever heard a player come out and not fully stand by the coach whos about to be booted? The words have no meaning, ill give the Dragons credit that they have been putting in this year, actually last year too.. their efforts seem wasted though with a gameplan that wasnt working, and it never changed, well until very recently.

But the yardstick is whether they get better from here with their structure & stay motivated, and I exclude Anzac Day because everyone will be up for that anyway.

bottle

Coach
Hmmmm saving face. :)

So after 3 good games all is forgiven is it?????
My view, last year and now, has been consistent, namely -
- Calling for Price to be sacked either last year or now is premature because his challenge in his second year is to show an improvement on his first, and
- Reappointing him now is also premature because he hasn't shown that improvement yet. So no, 3 wins doesn't cut it. However the next 6-10 weeks should provide some evidence one way or another.
I have argued, again consistently, that there is still time left in which to make a decision.

In regards to where we finished last year, we could've ended up anywhere between 8th-12th and it would have been a fair measure of where we deserved to be. The 8th placed team was just finals fill fodder anyway.

BennyV said:
I'm not saying price is the answer
Love is the answer BennyV, the great John Lennon told us that.

Old_Timer

Juniors
......Do we account for the fact Price inherited an aging, decimated squad?....

Why should we? Price did not have to accept the appointment. He could have made stipulations on recruiting suitable replacements. Ah but that would have required foresight :)!

Maximus

Coach
Price had 12 months and in that 12 months he was not good, average or bad, he was pathetic. Those last 2 games at the end of the season against the worst 2 teams (Warriors and Parra) put Saints to 9th which really did not give a realistic view of how they performed that season. If fans really think Saints were the 9th best team in the comp last year then I can see why they would back Price.

Pathetic? Lol what a joke. If he was pathetic, what does that make Kearney, McClennan, Cleary, Smith, Bennett and Cartwright whose teams all finished below us?

Sheens has had 28 years as coach. In his 28 years, on 16 occasions he has failed to make the finals. So in other words, he has made the finals in just 43% of years he has coached a team. And that is the person you want coaching our team? Sorry, I don't follow that logic.

Do we account for the fact Price inherited an aging, decimated squad?

What about the fact that we had also lost 7 of our last 9 in 2011. If we don't win 10 from our first 11, we don't even go close to 5th, so it really doesn't tell the whole story.

Old_Timer

Juniors
..... Reappointing him now is also premature because he hasn't shown that improvement yet. So no, 3 wins doesn't cut it. However the next 6-10 weeks should provide some evidence one way or another.....

Well said bottle. :)

redbreed

Juniors
They need to announce something soon. It doesn't help anybody by prolonging it. Players, recruiting and even sponsorship can be effected by all this uncertainty. I would stick with price and appoint Sheens as coaching director. Tim is still valuable but being in his sixties means he wouldn't be a long term coach anyway. Also leaving it to latter in the year is dicey. A lot of people here complain about the club sitting on there hands while all the other club's are busy getting their house in order, this is just the same thing , get sorted for Christ sakes.

Mr Red

First Grade
Nope. Because where do the parameters stop? Do we account for the fact Price inherited an aging, decimated squad?
Coaches are answerable for results alone. Price's results in his first year were no worse than the first year of many current top line coaches. The fact stands

you are correct in saying there are many benchmarks/parameters to measure this by however....

Irrespective of the squad any coach "inherits" the fact is that they signed on for the job fully aware of the state of the current squad (whether that be good or bad).
in most cases the squad they inherit is 99% percent the same as the squad the previous coach had at his disposal at the end of the previous season.
so IMO the coach signing on for the gig can be measured against the squad that ran out for the previous season 5 months earlier, and the previous coaches ability to get results with that same squad..

Elias1983

Coach
Have you ever heard a player come out and not fully stand by the coach whos about to be booted? The words have no meaning, ill give the Dragons credit that they have been putting in this year, actually last year too.. their efforts seem wasted though with a gameplan that wasnt working, and it never changed, well until very recently.

But the yardstick is whether they get better from here with their structure & stay motivated, and I exclude Anzac Day because everyone will be up for that anyway.

No I haven't but you know Merrin means it when comes and says "he's a coach I want to play for, he's the same as bennett in that way that you want to win for him"...

I'm trying to find the article on the dragons website where I read it...

You don't say he's like bennett if your just talking shit.

Elias1983

Coach
Why should we? Price did not have to accept the appointment. He could have made stipulations on recruiting suitable replacements. Ah but that would have required foresight :)!

Ahhh come on OT.

Ofcourse you need to consider the ageing squad, it has a direct result on how your team will perform if they are getting towards the end of their careers and are starting to tire easier than they used to.

You need to consider the fact that they had just come off one of the most successfull periods for a very long time, it takes it's toll and takes time to recover.

Those 3 years under was bloody hard, they went from being a normal footy team to a team that won the hard way. through defence and grinding away, playing like that for years is going to affect your players.