What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Voice your opinion - yes price no sheens

jenninga

First Grade
All that tells you is that it is a very risky thing to appoint a rooky as NRL head coach.

You forgot to detail the comparison; Price 0 form 1 and on target to make it 0 from 2.
It also tells you we shouldn't go for a coach who is well and truely past his use by date.

BennyV

Referee
All that tells you is that it is a very risky thing to appoint a rooky as NRL head coach.

You forgot to detail the comparison; Price 0 form 1 and on target to make it 0 from 2.

If noone appointed rookie coaches, then in 10 years time there will be no coaches in the NRL. A rookie coach is an investment based on potential (albeit a risky one), its unrealistic to expect an immediate premiership, but in time (possibly within the next year or 2) we could reap the benefits - a home-grown, loyal dragons man at the helm of our team. Noone can know if the investment will pay dividends but to abandon what it right now would be silly.

Let's face it, Price is more likely to deliver us a premiership before Sheens.

jenninga

First Grade
If noone appointed rookie coaches, then in 10 years time there will be no coaches in the NRL. A rookie coach is an investment based on potential (albeit a risky one), its unrealistic to expect an immediate premiership, but in time (possibly within the next year or 2) we could reap the benefits - a home-grown, loyal dragons man at the helm of our team. Noone can know if the investment will pay dividends but to abandon what it right now would be silly.

This is well said.Man Utd manager Alex Ferguson was on the brink of getting the sack in his early years at the club,the rest is history.As i have said many times lately the commitment the players have shown this season so far says to me that they want to play for Price.The guy is Dragons through and through and astute footy brains such as Gould have said he can coach.
I am more than happy for him to get a fair go.
The club has stagnated during the Bellamy fiasco,so we are now recruiting players ,forget last season,let's look onwards.

Mr Red

First Grade

i think this is a more logical career path in order to gain experience for NRL:
1. start in NRL lower grades, prove yourself
2. get an ESL gig, prove yourself
3. come back to Australia and get an NRL first grade gig

i think if coaches are willing to go overseas for a couple of seasons and learn the trade they will come back better coaches. ESL is a good training ground to prepare a coach for NRL first grade whilst still out of the spotlight in a less pressure situation.
trying to learn how to be a first grade coach by starting with an NRL first grade team IMO is too high pressure for most, or can mean the team has a few years of failure whilst the coach tries to find his feet - which isnt a very good option if you wish to keep sponsors, players etc etc..

Godz Illa

Coach
Explains why Craig Bellamy and Des Hasler are so shit then. They didnt follow the Mr Red template for success!

bottle

Coach
All those calling for Price to be sacked throughout last year need Price to be a failure now to save face. They will death ride him to the end and jump at every chance, every slip up, every failure or perceived failure no matter how slight to lay the boot in.

They have placed themselves in the difficult position of actually wanting Saints to fail to prove themselves to be right. They will call for all or any actions to be rid of him. They will make erroneous connections, construct phantom Board meetings, create fantastical scenarios and hypotheses.

Better to have waited and see how he went part way through this year before calling for change.

Cagey Mac

Bench
You could always try three years under the tutelage of Wayne Bennett
I'm warming to Price but we'll need to be competitive in next four games for me to commit
Que sera, sera

TheRev

Coach
All those calling for Price to be sacked throughout last year need Price to be a failure now to save face. They will death ride him to the end and jump at every chance, every slip up, every failure or perceived failure no matter how slight to lay the boot in.

They have placed themselves in the difficult position of actually wanting Saints to fail to prove themselves to be right. They will call for all or any actions to be rid of him. They will make erroneous connections, construct phantom Board meetings, create fantastical scenarios and hypotheses.

Better to have waited and see how he went part way through this year before calling for change.

A lot of the forum members get carried away with a few wins or losses, completely changing their perspective, this was very evident with Price & Soward/Fien until a month ago, who were flamed 1 week with devotion-threads the week after.

For me personally, the way Price managed the team early 2012 showed me that he didnt have what it took to put the right players in the right positions, Vidot on the left & Stanley at Fullback basically cost us any chance of the season. Fast forward to Early 2013 and it was the same thing, no new tactics, no taking chance on new players, was Stanley developing at #7 for the Cutters? Nope.. and when Price speaks to the media *barf cliche rubbish* not 1 sign he had any idea what he was doing.. he had to go.

The last 3 weeks, forget the wins, but the new outlook on attack, Soward playing whats in front of him, players backing up Merrin, and finally just a hint of young players being given a little first grade time, its not rocket science, its what I and others have asked for for a long time.

If this is "the real price" coming out, then its fine for us to give him longer to see if he can come out of his shell as a coach... but so far a couple of weeks in my mind does not remotely undo the terrible football, tactics, recruitment & selections that we put up with through 2012, not 1 positive or innovative thing from his coaching comes to mind.. he seems to be a literal sloth in responding to whats happening on the field, I expect much better than that from a 1st grade coach.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Wel said Rev. Spot on. I hope if they are to re-sign him at least wait till the end of the season not base it on the last 3 games.

Mr Red

First Grade
Neither did Bennett just quietly.
What a fool that Bennett was.

well Bennett did have 10 years coaching in the QRL which at the time was stronger then what ESL is now... (prior to QLD teams entering the NRL)
so i guess my point is still valid in that context...

and of course what i mentioned isnt the ONLY way to be a good coach, if you are at the elite level like Bellamy, Bennett you will be successful no matter what avenue you take..
i think what i mentioned would benefit those with less natural coaching talent like Price...

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Price had 12 months and in that 12 months he was not good, average or bad, he was pathetic. Those last 2 games at the end of the season against the worst 2 teams (Warriors and Parra) put Saints to 9th which really did not give a realistic view of how they performed that season. If fans really think Saints were the 9th best team in the comp last year then I can see why they would back Price.

jenninga

First Grade
Price had 12 months and in that 12 months he was not good, average or bad, he was pathetic. Those last 2 games at the end of the season against the worst 2 teams (Warriors and Parra) put Saints to 9th which really did not give a realistic view of how they performed that season. If fans really think Saints were the 9th best team in the comp last year then I can see why they would back Price.
Finishing above Mr Sheen's side.How pathetic were they to finish below us.

Godz Illa

Coach
Hasler finished 13th in his first season of coaching. Neil Henry finished 14th his first season. Ivan Cleary 10th. Shane Flanagan 13th.

Point is 12 months is not long enough to make a call unless you are making a significant upgrade (eg signing Bellamy)

possm

Coach
Hasler finished 13th in his first season of coaching. Neil Henry finished 14th his first season. Ivan Cleary 10th. Shane Flanagan 13th.

Point is 12 months is not long enough to make a call unless you are making a significant upgrade (eg signing Bellamy)

None of the abouve were assistant coach to Bennett for 3 years.

In my opinion he just hasn't got it at this time in his career. Maybe a job in the UK will bring him on.

BennyV

Referee

Again, an unreasonable comment regarding our coach. You simply can't say 'the last 2 games put us into 9th' because thats not the case. Every other team had games against those teams earlier in the comp, should we take off their wins against Parra and NZ too? And it doesnt matter if fans think Saints were the 9th best team, fact is they WERE the 9th best team because they finished 9th. We had the same number of rounds as every other team, it was an even playing field and thats where we ended up. You simply cant argue with that! On the flipside, there were a few golden point and close matches that we could have won to bring us into the 8, but we didnt. We came 9th. And its not a terrible effort for a rookie coach.

I'm not saying price is the answer, but you're 'judgement' is being clearly affected by some irrational hatred or unrealistic expectations of the man. The only way you could claim whether or not he is a good or crap coach is by giving him a few more years to prove it.

possm

Coach

possm

Coach

None of the abouve were assistant coach to Bennett for 3 years.

In my opinion he just hasn't got it at this time in his career. Maybe a job in the UK will bring him on.

Old_Timer

Juniors
All those calling for Price to be sacked throughout last year need Price to be a failure now to save face.....

Hmmmm saving face. :)

Well yes, I was indeed one of those nasty scoundrels that had the temerity to call for his head both last year and this as well. So after 3 good games all is forgiven is it????? :D

Last year and the first three games this year. we were simply below par, on what is the baseline for our great club. When and if, Price delivers a good consistent team performance, win draw or loose, then. and I repeat only then, will there be some semblance of a case for his reappointment.

To those among us feeling that he will be snapped up by another club, should we not reappointment him post haste, rest easy. We only need to act when the telly says, "price has been approached by Club ............" And what do you think the chances are of that happening? :D