What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Voice your opinion - yes price no sheens

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Sheens crap? Then why is he coaching the Aussies? Can't be that bad? 4 premierships with 2 clubs. Coached more games than anyone else. Your a hard marker mate. Did you also say that Bennett was crap before he signed.

Menninga, Ricky Stuart, Daley etc all coach rep or NRL sides. Do you think they may have learned a thing or 2 from their ex-coach in Sheens?

Godz Illa

Coach
Yeah like selecting a winger on the bench to play 5 minutes at the end of the game. What a plan :roll:

Most of the time? Well I guess they did make the finals 3 times in the 10 years that Sheens was coach (also taking 5 years to get to the finals again after winning the premiership).

Oh I see you are one of those who would prefer we play pretty and lose, than play dour and win.

And if we had a bit more luck in those golden point games, we would have made the finals as well. Oh and 4 of their losses in their last 8 games were against top 5 opposition. The only game they lost but should have won was against the Roosters, so the injuries at the end of the season didn't cost them.

Tigers won just 2 of 6 games against the Dragons in those years. The 2 wins came when we were far from the benchmark (both at the end of 2011).

Canberra beat us 4 times during those years, so Furner must be as good as Bellamy.

Brisbane beat us 3 times with Henjak as coach, so why aren't we signing him up as coach?

Souths beat us with Jason Taylor and John Lang as coaches.

The Panthers beat us with Elliott as coach.

The Roosters beat us with Brian Smith as coach.

Laffranchi, Prince, Hodgson, Te'o, Gibbs, Fifita?

What do we need exactly? We keep the vast majority of our good players.

His signings in the last 5 years?

Anasta, Pettybourne, Bodene Thompson, Bell, Blair (on 500k), Humble, Iosefa, Moors, Reddy, Utai, Mitch Brown, Jason Cayless, Daniela, Fitzhenry, Flanagan, Fulton (didn't they have an agreement to get him back anyway?), Wade McKinnon (when he was past it), Tuqiri (he was 31 at the time) and Ellis (well there is 1 good signing). Go even further back and it still isn't looking much better.

No matter what people like you think, Sheens does not have this amazing history of attracting stars to his club, so why would he be able to do it here? Oh that's right, because he is the Australian coach. The only reason the Tigers don't have Slater, Smith, Cronk and Gallen is because the Tigers didn't make an offer :roll:
Pure Sheenius

jenninga

First Grade
Sheens crap? Then why is he coaching the Aussies? Can't be that bad? 4 premierships with 2 clubs. Coached more games than anyone else. Your a hard marker mate. Did you also say that Bennett was crap before he signed.

Menninga, Ricky Stuart, Daley etc all coach rep or NRL sides. Do you think they may have learned a thing or 2 from their ex-coach in Sheens?
Sheens won the comp with a Canberra side 20 + years ago with a team of Origin players,similar to the Broncos sides we have been suspicious of.Since then he has won ONE comp which was fluked after beating us and on the back of Marshall and Prince,he should have won more,but didn't.
He was a dismal flop in Nth Qld,the Kangaroos big deal,a team which will no doubt have the next 2 or 3 immortals..Nothing to do with Bennett, i was ecstatic to have him.
And if you think Sheens's recruiting has been great for the Tigers in the last couple of seasons,then i am wasting my time justifying my opinion with you.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If you honestly think Price is the better option and don't rate Sheens then I don't understand your logic. What has Price done to impress you that much to see him as a better coach? Are you watching Saints U20's games from 2008? Is that more impressive than 4 GF's? From memory the Tigers won 12 of their last 13 games to win the GF? No fluke there mate. If that does not impress you than not sure what will.

As for recruitment, he has done a better job than Price? Price couldn't even get Molzen? Sheens told him to look elsewhere yet he still preferred to stay there rather than go to Saints.

So what you are saying is Price is a great coach but the players we have are crap hence why they did not perform last season? I tend to think we had and currently have a great roster with huge potential but it is not being coached properly.

BennyV

Referee
If you honestly think Price is the better option and don't rate Sheens then I don't understand your logic. What has Price done to impress you that much to see him as a better coach? Are you watching Saints U20's games from 2008? Is that more impressive than 4 GF's? From memory the Tigers won 12 of their last 13 games to win the GF? No fluke there mate. If that does not impress you than not sure what will.

As for recruitment, he has done a better job than Price? Price couldn't even get Molzen? Sheens told him to look elsewhere yet he still preferred to stay there rather than go to Saints.

So what you are saying is Price is a great coach but the players we have are crap hence why they did not perform last season? I tend to think we had and currently have a great roster with huge potential but it is not being coached properly.

When you take a handful of positives from a nearly 30 year coaching career, of course you can make it sound good. You focus on 2005 like that happened every year - fact is, Tigers made it to 3 final series in the 10 years he was there.

Other stats - 50% win ratio over 28 years (which is poor considering that 9 of those were with a Canberra dream team)...again, outside the Canberra days, he made 4 finals series from 19 year, and with the Canberra days its 12 from 28. Hardly the man to 'take us forward'.

Mr Red

First Grade
When you take a handful of positives from a nearly 30 year coaching career, of course you can make it sound good. You focus on 2005 like that happened every year - fact is, Tigers made it to 3 final series in the 10 years he was there.

Other stats - 50% win ratio over 28 years (which is poor considering that 9 of those were with a Canberra dream team)...again, outside the Canberra days, he made 4 finals series from 19 year, and with the Canberra days its 12 from 28. Hardly the man to 'take us forward'.

good post. Sheens is yesterday's hero, his tactics are outdated. he has failed to move with the times and the tigers results showed. Apart from Gareth Ellis his recruitment was no better then what Price has done (if not worse).
If it wasnt for individual brilliance of Marshall adn Farah the tigers would be finished.

Minh

First Grade
Wayne Bennett is the greatest coach ever in the game of Rugby League however his style is very predictable with Defense and simple backline plays, I know this is contoversial but maybe just maybe the game has passed Bennett also. Just throwing it out there because I would never doubt or second guess the great man.

Maximus

Coach

Probably how to have a barely higher than 50% win percentage as a club coach.

If you honestly think Price is the better option and don't rate Sheens then I don't understand your logic. What has Price done to impress you that much to see him as a better coach? Are you watching Saints U20's games from 2008? Is that more impressive than 4 GF's?

Congrats to Sheens for winning premierships with Belcher, Meninga, Daley, Stuart, Lazarus, Walters and Clyde. That doesn't make him a good coach, but even if it did, he won them 20 years ago. It is a different game now.

From memory the Tigers won 12 of their last 13 games to win the GF? No fluke there mate. If that does not impress you than not sure what will.

It was actually 12 from 14, but no winning 6 from your first 14 does not impress me. Oh and it must have been a fluke because they went 7-17 in 2003, 10-14 in 2004, 10-14 in 2006 (winning just 3 of their last 10, when they were only 2 wins out of the top 8), 11-13 in 2007 (1 win from their last 5 when they missed the top 8 on for and against), and 11-13 in 2008 (4 from the last 10 when they were 2 wins out of the top 8).

Another thing that doesn't impress me is that in his 700 matches, he only has a 51.4% winning record. Of the 4 clubs he has coached, Canberra is the only one where he has won more games than he has lost.

Wow keeping Moltzen is an amazing recruitment decision :roll:

If we are going to look at what they have done, obviously comparing the same time period is important. Both Price and Sheens were involved in the recruitment for their respective clubs for the 2012 and 2013 seasons.

Price: Ah Mau, Latimore, Matthews, Miller, Stanley, Vea, Vidot, Beale, Frizell, Harrison, Henderson.

Sheens: Bell, Blair (on 500k), Cashmere, Humble, Iosefa, Reddy, Anasta, Gavet, Pettybourne, Thompson.

I'll take Vidot, Beale and Frizell over their signings any day of the week.

So I guess them finishing with the same amount of wins as us last year is completely based on injuries, and nothing to do with poor coaching.

Maximus

Coach
Wayne Bennett is the greatest coach ever in the game of Rugby League however his style is very predictable with Defense and simple backline plays, I know this is contoversial but maybe just maybe the game has passed Bennett also. Just throwing it out there because I would never doubt or second guess the great man.

Well you might have had a point if he hadn't won a premiership just a couple of years ago.

bottle

Coach
I love the bit about Moltzen.
Completely dismissing the facts surrounding that situation.
Are people's memories really that short?

blacksafake

First Grade
I'm happy to stick with price over sheens. Sheens has consistently played players out of position which worries me no end & yes some of his recruiting leaves a lot of doubt in my mind.I think? Price can/ will be a good coach. Maybe a year extension to see how he goes with some exciting recruitments especially in the spine department. I still think if they do go for an unknown coach I would like to see Kevin Walters especially ahead of sheens.

Lethal25

Juniors
Sheens has history of both good and bad, at the moment we've only really seen bad from Price.

Not sure it's a case of the players finally buying into the game plan after 24 games last year and 3 more rounds this year, I think Soward started playing footy on the back of his Penrith contract negotiations.

It's all a pineapple at the end of the day because who the bloody hell knows what's going to happen with either coach when players seemingly have more influence than ever on culture and game plans

Godz Illa

Coach
Sheens has history of both good and bad, at the moment we've only really seen bad from Price.
Compare them in their early years. In his first year of coaching (Penrith 1984) his team missed the finals. He missed the finals in 3 of his first 4 years of coaching.

Lethal25

Juniors
Good point Godz Illa. I guess the media/public scrutiny these days and the scramble for the corporate dollar put a rush on these type of decisions, I'm sure we'll know by 2014 at worst

possm

Coach
Compare them in their early years. In his first year of coaching (Penrith 1984) his team missed the finals. He missed the finals in 3 of his first 4 years of coaching.

All that tells you is that it is a very risky thing to appoint a rooky as NRL head coach.

You forgot to detail the comparison; Price 0 form 1 and on target to make it 0 from 2.