What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
As long as brings something more than just his celebrity status.
Even if that’s all he ends up bringing than it’s instant brand recognition. Him talking about the Bears on a broad reaching medium like TV or his stand up shows holds weight and his investment, if any, is at his discretion. He is no more obligated to invest cash than you or I are.

Bukowski

Bench
Even if that’s all he ends up bringing than it’s instant brand recognition. Him talking about the Bears on a broad reaching medium like TV or his stand up shows holds weight and his investment, if any, is at his discretion. He is no more obligated to invest cash than you or I are.
No one suggested he's obligated to do anything?

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
No one suggested he's obligated to do anything?
It was in reference to you saying “As long as brings something more than just his celebrity status.”…

I’m saying if that’s all he brings that’s enough. He doesn’t need to bring anything more. If he does though, great.

Bukowski

Bench
It was in reference to you saying “As long as brings something more than just his celebrity status.”…

I’m saying if that’s all he brings that’s enough. He doesn’t need to bring anything more. If he does though, great.
Right. I was meaning that if he's an investor with a seat on the board I hope he brings some skills. I'm all for high profile people being involved.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Right. I was meaning that if he's an investor with a seat on the board I hope he brings some skills. I'm all for high profile people being involved.
Ah gotcha. Apologies, I misunderstood what you meant.

Navigating media exposure might be his best skill set in that regard that he could bring. Anything commercially, I’m not sure what he adds. Couldn’t say.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Rather, they will need to work out how to sell an odd marriage between a fresh, new-look franchise in the west that has superficial links to a 1908 foundation club in the east. While TSE will have a seat on the board, North Sydney will not.
“It’s not a relocation,” Kind said. “It’s not South Melbourne to Sydney, it’s not Fitzroy to Brisbane. I’m not even sure what to call it. What is the narrative? We need to get all that right.”

I thought this was the important part. Experience from successful owners of other pro teams will be invaluable.
Considering all this, did the Bears really get back in the NRL here? Or did their mascot just get adopted by the new Perth team in exchange for a pathways affiliation?

I'm not complaining as I want this new club to be all about Perth but this isn't really North Sydney Bears getting back into the NRL.

Nuke

Staff member
To me, this is exactly it. And I mean absolutely no disrespect to North Sydney at all, but I think you've pretty much nailed it.

What it does is reignite old Norths supporters, especially the disillusioned ones who left the game when the Northern Eagles disbanded and Norths were no more (in the top flight anyway). They feel the joy of having 'their' team back, when in reality it is a completely new club that is utilising their mascot and an adaption of their logo and colour scheme. Honestly, despite others' opinions, I feel Perth was going to be getting a team in the coming few years regardless of any involvement from N.Sydney or Newtown, ect. There was just more to gain from having an association with N.Sydney, and such added further assurance it would happen. Likewise, N.Sydney had much more to gain by associating themselves with Perth, as Perth are pretty well locked-in to get a team, and let's face it, N.Sydney going it alone were extremely unlikely to get back in, regardless of whether they stayed in Sydney, moved to Gosford, or became a roadshow team (country NSW or Pacific Islands).

In just a few weeks, the Western Bears will be announced. WA will have its own team again, and N.Sydney supporters will have a Bears team to support in the NRL again. Everyone wins.

flippikat

First Grade
To me, this is exactly it. And I mean absolutely no disrespect to North Sydney at all, but I think you've pretty much nailed it.
Yeah - the more I hear about it, the more it sounds *kind of* like a licensing agreement.. where the name & colors are used with the blessing of North Sydney but the club is owned and run by Perth - with a feeder relationship as part of the deal.

Vlad59

Bench
Considering all this, did the Bears really get back in the NRL here? Or did their mascot just get adopted by the new Perth team in exchange for a pathways affiliation?

I'm not complaining as I want this new club to be all about Perth but this isn't really North Sydney Bears getting back into the NRL.
Nailed it

MugaB

Coach

Everyone wins if we just treat it as Western (Perf) Bears, and not NS Bears

Latest posts