What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

docbrown

Coach
And you know this how? the only quote we have from the man himself literally said perth isn’t conditional on a partnership with the bears.
It's quite clearly a competitive bid process and no single bid has it in the bag, regardless of what Perth fans, PNG fans, East Tigers fans or NZ2 fans think. If Perth thinks that they're hot shit and can state demands then they may end up empty handed. The same goes for the Bears and the others too.
Why wouldn’t Perth be in more of a position to dictate terms? If the WA Government and/or the Cumins consortium is providing funding and support to the new team, they definitely have cards to play.
And other bids aren't backed by governments? Or corporate sponsors? Or have brand new world class stadiums? Or major junior pathways? Or existing branding?

All of those things will come into play and many more. To use your own analogy, the Perth Whatevers might have a three of a kind. But another bidder might be holding a full house.

All these bids have risks and benefits. Let's not pretend that an NRL team with a brand new identity in an AFL dominated state is going to be a breeze. It's a long term project and always has been.

You are saying the Bears are in a position to dictate, in this post.
I literally said the Bears aren't able to dictate either.

I could potentially see the NRL seeing a lot of value in piggy backing on the Warriors recent successes by introduce the New Zealand 2 teams first. They'll have local juniors and a world class stadium too. They might see a lot of value in kicking Rugby Union while their down.

Canard

Immortal
It's quite clearly a competitive bid process and no single bid has it in the bag, regardless of what Perth fans, PNG fans, East Tigers fans or NZ2 fans think. If Perth thinks that they're hot shit and can state demands then they may end up empty handed. The same goes for the Bears and the others too.

And other bids aren't backed by governments? Or corporate sponsors? Or have brand new world class stadiums? Or major junior pathways? Or existing branding?

All of those things will come into play and many more. To use your own analogy, the Perth Whatevers might have a three of a kind. But another bidder might be holding a full house.

All these bids have risks and benefits. Let's not pretend that an NRL team with a brand new identity in an AFL dominated state is going to be a breeze. It's a long term project and always has been.

I could potentially see the NRL seeing a lot of value in piggy backing on the Warriors recent successes by introduce the New Zealand 2 teams first. They'll have local juniors and a world class stadium too. They might see a lot of value in kicking Rugby Union while their down.
You are saying if the Perth bid doesn't agree to terms with the Bears, they will go to NZ, and I assume gazump Perth in doing so.

docbrown

Coach
You are saying if the Perth bid doesn't agree to terms with the Bears, they will go to NZ, and I assume gazump Perth in doing so.
The Bears have pretty much said they're willing to go anywhere.

A New Zealand bid with a new stadium, a junior base, existing NRL awareness and a chance knocking down Rugby Union a couple of pegs is already a very appealing prospects. A second New Zealand team could trump the Perth Whatevers on that alone. Some form of existing branding for NZ2 will just add to that.

It's a shame the expansion process has been hijacked by the Sydney media, Albo and V'landys to push for a 10th and 11th Sydney team. It doesn't help the game shed its reputation of being Sydney-centric.

Bukowski

Juniors
Forcing some failed Sydney team on them is a perfect way for NZ2 to fail.

If the Bears have to be whored out to every location, and the end result is that every location says no, maybe it's time to realise that trying to whore out the Bears is the real problem.
Very good post.
The people putting their hard earned into these bids are obviously very savvy businessmen. They won't go ahead with a deal if they think it's not the best circumstance. They've no doubt walked away from a lot of business deals.
VLandys will know this

Matt_CBY

Juniors

Your posts are wasted on this site.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
What a dumb f**k.

One article with the word “gazump” and watch this wanker throw it around.

I feel sorry for your children.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
Very good post.
The people putting their hard earned into these bids are obviously very savvy businessmen. They won't go ahead with a deal if they think it's not the best circumstance. They've no doubt walked away from a lot of business deals.
VLandys will know this
About as good as Bukowski’a forward passes tonight.

flippikat

Bench
Theoretically, the ARLC can admit a standalone Perth-based team into the NRL without an upgrade to PRS nor a high performance training centre. The problem is it might lead to fewer players signing with the club and fewer fans actively supporting the club.

The Bears can provide juniors to the club. Where they've shot themselves in the foot is wanting two games at NSO. For the proposed relocation to work it has to be based out of Perth.
On the juniors side of things.. it's interesting that the Bears and the Jets are both being mentioned as possible partners to the Perth bid, given their junior stocks are quite different.

I was thinking that with Newtown having relatively few Juniors, Norths have a bargaining advantage in that respect... BUT maybe that's not the case?

If Perth are keen to grow, develop & give opportunities to THEIR OWN Perth juniors, then the prospect of being swamped with Norths junior stocks could be unattractive to them in the long term.. and lean them more in favor of Newtown?

On the juniors side of things.. it's interesting that the Bears and the Jets are both being mentioned as possible partners to the Perth bid, given their junior stocks are quite different.

I was thinking that with Newtown having relatively few Juniors, Norths have a bargaining advantage in that respect... BUT maybe that's not the case?

If Perth are keen to grow, develop & give opportunities to THEIR OWN Perth juniors, then the prospect of being swamped with Norths junior stocks could be unattractive to them in the long term.. and lean them more in favor of Newtown?
Perth should just enter a team or two of their own in the Queensland Cup. It'll be easier for them to compete against semi-professional players in the Queensland Cup. NSW Cup is made up of fully professional reserve grade teams from Sydney's NRL clubs.

Bukowski

Juniors

You might be right. Perth need to concentrate all their development resources into Perth pathways. Anything diverted to a Sydney club is a waste.

Perth Red

Post Whore

I can see singleton bankrolling Newtown jets pathways and the perth side bankrolling perth jnr pathways. Says in another article the hungy jacks founder is also keen to invest in a perth jets club.

flippikat

Bench
I can see singleton bankrolling Newtown jets pathways and the perth side bankrolling perth jnr pathways. Says in another article the hungy jacks founder is also keen to invest in a perth jets club.
I can see Perth teaming up with Newtown Jets, pretty much for the reasons you say (and maybe also to confound the "Oh it has to be Perth Bears" crowd), and Norths scrambling to attach themselves to another bid by the end-of-July bid deadline.

I have this mad mental image of staff at Norths HQ calling Christchurch, Suva, Port Moresby & Brisbane practically begging to get on one of their bid documents.

Sure, probably not gonna pan-out that way.. but still a funny what-if scenario.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I can see Perth teaming up with Newtown Jets, pretty much for the reasons you say (and maybe also to confound the "Oh it has to be Perth Bears" crowd), and Norths scrambling to attach themselves to another bid by the end-of-July bid deadline.

I have this mad mental image of staff at Norths HQ calling Christchurch, Suva, Port Moresby & Brisbane practically begging to get on one of their bid documents.

Sure, probably not gonna pan-out that way.. but still a funny what-if scenario.
If so they’ll only have themselves to blame, their attitude has been less than impressive.

Latest posts