What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Centy Coast

Juniors
The Bears play Newtown this coming Sunday with the winner to go straight into the NSW Cup Grand Final, the Jets are in top form so it will be a very tough game.
Both of their NRL senior clubs play each other on Saturday with the Storm hosting the Sharks.
It will be interesting who the Bears get from the Storm, the Jets don’t have many of their own contracted players, they are virtually the Sharks reserve grade.

IMG_5753.jpegIMG_5745.jpeg

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
In QLD and NSW the AFL instituted a specific policy with literally hundreds of millions of dollars to back it for growing participation decades ago. That’s why the game grew there. It wasn’t the Swans. It wasn’t the Lions. It was the governing body supported by the clubs nationally as they saw the long term benefits of that policy. In Victoria the $ available for development and participation was deliberately constrained by the existing clubs and the governing body through small mindedness and no vision. To blame the Storm for that ignore the facts and is self serving. The Storm were placed in a hostile market and had enough on their hands thanks. The comparison between the vision of the AFL and the small mindedness of our code over decades is an embarrassment. It’s only being rectified now. When I was on the affiliated states body the total $ committed to those states annually was 3 million dollars. That was for TAS, VIC, WA, NT and SA. That was in total to manage the game and development. It was an absolute joke. I got $20000 to restart and grow the game. And people wonder why we failed. WBs endless whinge is a crock of shit.
Well we aren't the AFL, and they really haven't grown in those two states regardless of the money thrown at them, but in saying that we are looking at complementing our NRL clubs with local talent, which wasn't happening unless you were a development club and decided to want to do it,now they are all forced to do it, which is great coz it will bear fruit later on... and storm were in that "well do what we need to" camp instead of being pro active active, and now it's show how good they are at it, in a foreign market (non traditional one that is)

Wb1234

Immortal
Well we aren't the AFL, and they really haven't grown in those two states regardless of the money thrown at them, but in saying that we are looking at complementing our NRL clubs with local talent, which wasn't happening unless you were a development club and decided to want to do it,now they are all forced to do it, which is great coz it will bear fruit later on... and storm were in that "well do what we need to" camp instead of being pro active active, and now it's show how good they are at it, in a foreign market (non traditional one that is)
Storm saw the Panthers success has changed the game and to be a leading club you can’t buy. Your way to success

having a conveyer belt of talent to replace players is the way to go

every club that has is looking to enter the nrl from png to the dolphins have all visited Penrith to copy their junior systems

Centy Coast

Juniors
Storm saw the Panthers success has changed the game and to be a leading club you can’t buy. Your way to success

every club that has is looking to enter the nrl from png to the dolphins have all visited Penrith to copy their junior systems
Seriously though where is the reward in developing players, the salary cap is a complete joke in regards to this, until that changes clubs will just continue to pilfer from others.

MugaB

Coach

Sort of... NRL has told every club they need to start doing it, not to just rely on their own feeder systems

Wb1234

Immortal
Seriously though where is the reward in developing players, the salary cap is a complete joke in regards to this, until that changes clubs will just continue to pilfer from others.
That’s the next step they need to fix but are afraid to do so to upset chooks

Reward clubs who invest with massive salary cap exemptions and leagues clubs will throw tens of millions more collectively in juniors at no cost to the game

MugaB

Coach
Penrith 4 GFs in a row, might be 5, there's the reward, plus we get to receive good recruitment, instead of dealing with only sloppy 2nds, 3rds, basically which ever player has hit the market

wb2027

Juniors
I started designing my mockups before I came across those. Mine are based off both the NS logos of the early 90s (the round logo) and the late 90s (the badge). The bear head emblems are a little different from eachother, by the way.
My logos took common elements from those emblems: basic head shape, front-on view, thus placement of eyes, nose, ears, mouth all align with the classic NS emblems. The placement of the shadows (the angle from which the sunlight was hitting the bear) was also a conscious decision. The mouth was pretty much just copied across from one of them with just a couple of minor alerations.

My logos were designed with the current theme of logos to be social media friendly (ie: simple, yet still unique). Those old NS logos have a shit-tonne of detail (nearly every strand of fur on their faces was depicted!), so really needed simplifying.

My logos also, for my own personal preference, need to have a hidden or subtle addition reference. In this case WA, either the shape of the state or the initials. My earlier versions had a W in one ear and an A in the other, but my final versions just had a big W on the cheek instead.

Along the way, those IP-submitted logos came out, but my thoughts, preferences, and ideas remained. The only addition to my logos since then was the wordmark, which I took directly from the NS & NRLWA press statements, presuming they're a taste of what's to come from their finalised logo.

@Centy Coast, you requested a red bear with gold outline. Well, here 'tis!
View attachment 93685
How does it look white with a red outline?

Vlad59

Bench
Participation in afl in those two states has grown significantly and to say otherwise is nonsense I’m sorry. And given the state of the game of rugby league in Victoria when the Storm were formed there was nothing for them to draw from and no effort or commitment from the national body to help. This is the complete opposite of what happened across NSW and QLD. And I can assure you that at the affiliated stated level we were bemused and amused by the animosity shown particularly by the NSWRL to any funding for us at all. Meanwhile we watched the afl actively trying to grow in rugby league territory while the NRL did SFA in theirs. That’s why I laugh at the utter nonsense written here about the state of the game in States that were completely neglected by the ARL for so long. If you commit nothing you get nothing. So we blame the Storm? Give me a break.

Vlad59

Bench

You just make crap up. More utter nonsense.

MugaB

Coach
Participation in afl in those two states has grown significantly and to say otherwise is nonsense I’m sorry. And given the state of the game of rugby league in Victoria when the Storm were formed there was nothing for them to draw from and no effort or commitment from the national body to help. This is the complete opposite of what happened across NSW and QLD. And I can assure you that at the affiliated stated level we were bemused and amused by the animosity shown particularly by the NSWRL to any funding for us at all. Meanwhile we watched the afl actively trying to grow in rugby league territory while the NRL did SFA in theirs. That’s why I laugh at the utter nonsense written here about the state of the game in States that were completely neglected by the ARL for so long. If you commit nothing you get nothing. So we blame the Storm? Give me a break.
I agree with your sentiments, the body did do nothing in the past, and maybe still with the affiliated states, but now they are making the nrl clubs themselves, getting them more invested in those junior programs, instead of just leaving it to the state bodies,it has helped, and seeing those numbers in Victoria is great news

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good thing in the west is the people running the western bears are rugby league people who’ve been committed to wa rugby league for decades. That will ensure the investment and pathways are there from day 1. Bring it on. If we were waiting for the arlc to do its job we’d be in the same place as vi, tas, sa etc. abject failure by the arlc to grow the game at grassroots outside of two states.

Centy Coast

Juniors
Penrith 4 GFs in a row, might be 5, there's the reward, plus we get to receive good recruitment, instead of dealing with only sloppy 2nds, 3rds, basically which ever player has hit the market
Yes but imagine if every club developed juniors, the Panthers have to release players who have come through their junior nursery.
So the Panthers should be rewarded with Premierships, but should the Roosters ?, should the Bulldogs ?.
Two clubs who just continue to buy players here, there and everywhere.

MugaB

Coach
Good thing in the west is the people running the western bears are rugby league people who’ve been committed to wa rugby league for decades. That will ensure the investment and pathways are there from day 1. Bring it on.
Yep, nice one PR cummins

Iamback

Coach

lower grades strength show we aren't going away anytime soon.

Flegg finished 2nd and NSW Cup play in the finals this week with 6 Flegg eligible guys.

That is the benefit from developing. Barely need to hit the market

MugaB

Coach
Yes but imagine if every club developed juniors, the Panthers have to release players who have come through their junior nursery.
So the Panthers should be rewarded with Premierships, but should the Roosters ?, should the Bulldogs ?.
Bulldogs won't be doing that soon, around 2 more seasons and those "ulitilies" will be shopped out, gus did the same thing at Penrith before introducing Nathan and the kids he played with..
Besides there's more clubs like Parra, Tigers and Dragons, that are always active in the player market, it's not just those two... you only think that coz they generally land most of the good ones

Iamback

Coach

They wouldn't be able to buy if every area was developed properly. That is how you stop clubs like that

Perth Red

Post Whore
Problem is not every club region is equal. Nor is every clubs ability to spend big on pathways. Some clubs by the pure geography and socio economic make up of population have much bigger jnr participation rates. That’s got nothing to do with what the nrl club is doing. Some clubs have big pokie dens than can spend big on elite pathway programs and entice the best kids from other clubs areas,

so to reward clubs that already have significant advantages over others seems somewhat unfair.

I note panthers are out signing players from other clubs at the moment to fill some of their gaps from players moving on. it’ll be interesting if this was a fluke generational one off period for them or if they can keep bringing through local talent at that talent level. Juries out.