What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

flippikat

First Grade
Nope, but the clubs got their $5mill grant increase as it was tied into the start of the new tv deal. The problem with what the nrl is trying to do is bring in clubs mid tv contract So unless tv are willing to renegotiate they don’t have the extra revenue if clubs are demanding a backhander to say yes.

If the incumbant clubs are demanding a bonus for mid-tv deal expansion that cranks up the entry fee to ridiculously "high bar" levels, then just add the teams when the new TV deal starts, rather than trying to expedite their entry.

That way a boost in TV money can be used to ease the expectations for entry fees - making them less daunting for the bids.

It's time the NRL grew a pair and told clubs to back-off wanting to milk this for bonuses.

They should have sorted that out before we got this far into the process. To now say clubs need to offer more when it wasn’t in the criteria for submission is pathetic. It wouldn’t happen elsewhere in business I can tell you.

unlike afl who has the revenue and can invest $300mill in their next expansion club nrl doesnt and can’t and now finds itself at the whim of the other clubs, yet again.
I agree! Shifting the goalposts when it comes to business case requirements is amateurish at best, and verges on dishonest. Why is this such an issue at this late stage when requirements should have been clearly set down - and stuck to - when bids were called into the first place?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Only thing I can say about Cumins is that when PVL mentions or talks about WA NRL team/Western Bears he tends to mention Roger Cook, WA premier and not Cumins.

I’ve found this strange. Maybe PVL just doesn’t like Pistol Pete or maybe he has been buttering WA government for more cash the whole time by specifically mentioning Cook. Who knows. All plausible.

End of the day he is the chair, for now. So hopefully as chair he does the necessary work required to ensure this gets over the line.
Theres history between them after Vlandys came out with his 'waste of money' nonsense in 2019. Cumins made a very public response.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the incumbant clubs are demanding a bonus for mid-tv deal expansion that cranks up the entry fee to ridiculously "high bar" levels, then just add the teams when the new TV deal starts, rather than trying to expedite their entry.

That way a boost in TV money can be used to ease the expectations for entry fees - making them less daunting for the bids.

It's time the NRL grew a pair and told clubs to back-off wanting to milk this for bonuses.

I agree! Shifting the goalposts when it comes to business case requirements is amateurish at best, and verges on dishonest. Why is this such an issue at this late stage when requirements should have been clearly set down - and stuck to - when bids were called into the first place?
yep I said that as well a long time ago. Should have been entry for WA in 2028 when the new deal starts to pay for it. I get they want to take a 20 team package to the Tv negotiations but they could have waited to see if Tv wanted it before going to bids and wasting peoples time and money.

All I can think is (again if it isnt just Vlandys trying to get more out of WA govt) that he was banking on tv paying more mid contract, or clubs not demanding so much. Either way it looks like he has misread it.

Wb1234

Immortal
yep I said that as well a long time ago. Should have been entry for WA in 2028 when the new deal starts to pay for it. I get they want to take a 20 team package to the Tv negotiations but they could have waited to see if Tv wanted it before going to bids and wasting peoples time and money.
Seeing you go into meltdown mode so fast is the best

Pvl messed things up
Tv companies don’t want 20 teams
Perth is missing out
Afl invests hundreds of millions in the Tasmanian side

I can’t stop laughing

BuffaloRules

Coach
Seeing you go into meltdown mode so fast is the best

Pvl messed things up
Tv companies don’t want 20 teams
Perth is missing out
Afl invests hundreds of millions in the Tasmanian side

I can’t stop laughing

To be fair … it’s Rugba League… PVL gonna drag this out for 3 months … I’ve always thought Cash Converters dude might not be up to this East Coast argy bargy

Perth Red

Post Whore
You may be right, he played the same trick with Aus govt. in May

The Papua New Guinea NRL bid is not over the line with Peter V'landys revealing Friday is "D-Day" as he prepares to meet with officials from the Australian government in Brisbane.'
V'landys, the ARL Commission chairman, said he was prepared to walk away from the PNG bid if negotiations did not proceed to their liking.
"We have got a few negotiating points we haven't got over and if we don't get over them it won't happen. It is D-Day today. We are meeting with the government today on various aspects of it and hopefully we can solve those and move it forward.

Gobsmacked

Bench
This whole situation I think is like this analogy:
Some teachers are better than others! And when you hand your paper in to the great ones.. they might give it back to you.. because they know you can do better , they want to give you an A.
That's what this is, he could have probably accepted any of them, we know jokes aside. You can make a case for any of these locations, it'll work because it’s the bloody NRL!
But saint Pete demands excellence!!!
And it's about bloody time we did too!!!
And yes I did glace towards the Sharks as I typed that...lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
Some teachers are better than others! And when you hand your paper in to the great ones.. they might give it back to you.. because they know you can do better , they want to give you an A.
That's what this is, he could have probably accepted any of them, we know jokes aside. You can make a case for any of these locations, it'll work because it’s the bloody NRL!
The sharks are far from orphans when it comes to not always delivering excellence lol

Bukowski

Bench
I wish he'd have a chat with the owners of the tigers!

Nuke

Staff member
I still reckon he's just doing this to get a few extra dollars out of the bid or some other last-minute guarantee. I am 99% sure the WA bid is over the line already and is awaiting the announcement in a few days time. PVL's just doing what he did with the PNG bid / Aus Govt a few months ago.

I've not been to uni at all, but I've heard from people who work in uni's that there's an English or other kind of exam for those applying to attend. Thing is, they don't judge the result based on the answers to the questions, it's more about how you answer them.

I suspect that's kinda what's going on here. PVL's asking the questions at the death with the pressure on, and it's not about if the bid/s answer them correctly, it's how they respond to them in the first place that will be the deciding factor. Just my thoughts anyway.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Pretty clear there is something in the WA bid he isn't happy with. "Investment" doesn't necessarily mean money. Maybe they reneged on something or haven't got it done in time. Him making it public is just how he operates. It's basically him saying "fix it or it's not happening". I would imagine they will nut out the details soon enough. It's a warning shot to other bids to not beat around the bush as well.

Latest posts