What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

BuffaloRules

Coach
The next 5 year club license agreement negotiations start next month. You can guarantee, just like the previous two times, the clubs will have some big demands (time for that 5 year break away comp story to come out again!) and the NRL will want A) to give them as little as they can and B) for them to sign perpetual agreements. A nice $1.3mill backhander paid for by WA goes a long way to the clubs acquiescing to what the NRL wants. At least thats what one of the key groups here believes is the motivation for this last minute cash grab.

$1.3 m ain’t much … that wouldnt even pay a sacked coach out these days …
I think they will be more interested in the broadcast deals this time ..given the nice deal PVL agreed with his media mates the last time … I will be surprised if the clubs sign the new 5 yr deal this time before that gets done

Perth Red

Post Whore
So is Cummins in or out ?

The longer this goes on it looks like he’s been punted to the curb
The bid have stated they are regrouping and intend to go back to the NRL with a counter offer. Despite WA govt wanting to remain agnostic in their position they ultimately hold all the cards now.

They could support the bid financially to be able to offer a substantial license fee (a big chunk of the bids money was going to be spent on interim facilities until Govt CofE was built, that is something the Govt could legit pick the tab up for freeing up cash for the bid).
or just in putting pressure back on Vlandys to accept what they are offering,
or they could offer to pay start up costs to support NRL running the club, though they've been pretty adamant they wont directly fund the club in the past.

Vlandys Plan B was the Govt pay and run it but they will def not agree to that.

Still a ways to go before this is decided one way or the other. Perth remains NRL's best opportunity for club 18 for the next tv deal negotiations. Selling the value of PNG and NZ2 to Australia tv providers would be a very hard sell Id suggest.

Perth Red

Post Whore
$1.3 m ain’t much … that wouldnt even pay a sacked coach out these days …
I think they will be more interested in the broadcast deals this time ..given the nice deal PVL agreed with his media mates the last time … I will be surprised if the clubs sign the new 5 yr deal this time before that gets done
Its equivalent to over 1 years profit for many clubs, with zero effort. Never underestimate greed!

Maybe, though they will be pushing for an increase in revenue % distribution so in that sense any increase in TV deal flows into their pockets.

Wb1234

Immortal
The bid have stated they are regrouping and intend to go back to the NRL with a counter offer. Despite WA govt wanting to remain agnostic in their position they ultimately hold all the cards now.

They could support the bid financially to be able to offer a substantial license fee (a big chunk of the bids money was going to be spent on interim facilities until Govt CofE was built, that is something the Govt could legit pick the tab up for freeing up cash for the bid).
or they could offer to pay start up costs to support NRL running the club, though they've been pretty adamant they wont directly fund the club in the past.

Still a ways to go before this is decided one way or the other. Perth remains NRL's best opportunity for club 18 for the next tv deal negotiations. Selling the value of PNG and NZ2 to Australia tv providers would be a very hard sell Id suggest.
I was told the wa govt would pay between 35 and 50 million

I assumed it meant the current bid would then proceed

BuffaloRules

Coach
Its equivalent to over 1 years profit for many clubs, with zero effort. Never underestimate greed!

Maybe, though they will be pushing for an increase in revenue % distribution so in that sense any increase in TV deal flows into their pockets.

Oh…I don’t underestimate their greed ...that’s why they got eyes set on bigger things than $1.3m

Perth Red

Post Whore
I was told the wa govt would pay between 35 and 50 million

I assumed it meant the current bid would then proceed
Theres been nothing stated around which way they are going. Like I said it will likely be more palatable for WA govt to fund the bid and some of their costs so the bid can pay the license fee than the WA govt giving the NRl the money. That has a very bad local optic to it for Govt. And having worked with Govt for 2 decades and had a CEO who was an ex minister I can tell you they get super nervous about such optics!

Plus the delays mean talks about the tv deal are delayed as is the time the bears have to find players and a coach

I get the sense it will be sorted one way or another within the next couple of weeks. Either they will go to tv negotiations with just PNG and a 9 game comp, and park the rest. Or they will get Perth sorted and go with a 19 club proposal.

Wb1234

Immortal
Theres been nothing stated around which way they are going. Like I said it will likely be more palatable for WA govt to fund the bid and some of their costs so the bid can pay the license fee than the WA govt giving the NRl the money. That has a very bad local optic to it for Govt. And having worked with Govt for 2 decades and had a CEO who was an ex minister I can tell you they get super nervous about such optics!
That’s just semantics and optics the money for it is coming from the govt

They did a similar deal for super rugby when they got a state govt body to sign a lucrative sponsorship deal for the force

Ultimately the fee will get paid and Cummins will get his team finally

Perth Red

Post Whore
That’s just semantics and optics the money for it is coming from the govt

They did a similar deal for super rugby when they got a state govt body to sign a lucrative sponsorship deal for the force

Ultimately the fee will get paid and Cummins will get his team finally
Optics are everything in politics! They did and got widely slammed for it, not so much the money but what pot they took it out of..

It'll be easier to sell to joe public that they are investing in sports facilities for the new club (which theyve done significantly for all sports in WA) than they are paying the NRL a large license fee.

If I was a betting man Id say that will be the way this will play out, WA govt will fund the bid a bit more, the bid will use a chunk of their $30mill to pay a license fee and we can all get excited again about Perth coming back into the comp.

Matt_CBY

Juniors

Def?

60 going on 16